Uttarkashi is a town and the headquarters of the Uttarkashi district. It is more of a pilgrimage circuit than a regular tourist circuit. Uttarkashi has many Dharamshalas so that tourists can stay at the Gangotri Mandir Dharamshala, Shivanand Dharamshala, Birla Dharamshala, Kali Kamli Dharamshala, or Kailash Dharamshala.
The quaint town of Uttarkashi is highly revered for its temples dedicated to Rishi Parashurama, Datatryea, Goddess Annapurna Devi, Goddess Kali, and Bhairon. It is also famous for its numerous ashrams, the heavenly abodes of ascetics, sages, and hermits. However, the center of attraction in this town is the Vishwanath temple, the largest and most frequented temple in the region.
Places to visit in Uttarkashi
Spiritual tourists mainly visit Uttarkashi, but there are unquestionably scenic places and moderate-to-challenging trekking routes that attract adventure enthusiasts and hard-core trekkers. To make the trip more fascinating, here are some of the best places to visit in Uttarkashi, Uttaranchal, that you must check out before you leave for your vacation!
- Nachiketa Lake
- Kuteti Devi Temple
- Har Ki Doon:
- Shakti Temple
- Nehru Institute Of Mountaineering
- Kandar Devta Mandir
Things to do in Uttarkashi
Uttarkashi is a serene and picturesque destination that attracts pilgrims, trekkers, and nature lovers alike. Located on the banks of the Bhagirathi River, Uttarkashi is known for its religious significance and stunning Himalayan landscapes, making it a popular place for spiritual seekers, adventure enthusiasts, and those seeking tranquility in nature.
- Trekkers can explore the region's majestic landscapes, dense forests, and glacial valleys.
- Indulge in various adventure sports activities for thrill-seekers.
- You can set up camp amidst the scenic beauty of the Himalayas.
Best time to visit Uttarkashi
The best time to visit Uttarkashi is during the summer and autumn months of May to October. The weather during these months is pleasant and ideal for outdoor activities like trekking, camping, and wildlife watching. The temperatures during the summer (May to June) range from 15°C to 30°C, making it perfect for exploring the region. Autumn (September to October) offers clear skies and mild weather, making it ideal for stargazing and enjoying the beautiful fall colors of the Himalayas.
How to reach Uttarkashi
Uttarkashi is well-connected by road and air. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, approximately 180 km away. One can hire a taxi or take a bus from the airport to reach Uttarkashi. The nearest railway station is Rishikesh, which is approximately 160 km away. From Rishikesh, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Uttarkashi. In addition, there are regular bus services from major cities in Uttarakhand and neighboring states to Uttarkashi.
Accommodation in Uttarkashi
Uttarkashi offers a variety of accommodation options for visitors, ranging from budget guesthouses to mid-range hotels and luxury resorts. Many hotels and guesthouses in Uttarkashi provide basic amenities such as clean rooms and room service. Some accommodations may offer additional facilities like Wi-Fi, restaurants, and parking. It is recommended to book accommodations in advance, especially during peak season, to ensure availability and preferred choices. Some popular areas to find accommodation in Uttarkashi include Gangotri Road, Kuteti Devi, and Kedar Road.
Where to eat in Uttarkashi?
Uttarkashi offers a range of dining options for visitors. Several restaurants, cafes, and dhabas (roadside eateries) serve Indian, Tibetan, and local Garhwali cuisine. Gangotri Road and Kedarnath Road are known for their food joints that offer delicious and authentic local food. Many hotels and guesthouses in Uttarkashi also have restaurants that serve various cuisines. It's important to note that the availability of food options may vary depending on the season and time of year.
How to get around in Uttarkashi?
Uttarkashi is a small town, and most tourist attractions are within walking distance. Local taxis and auto-rickshaws are available for short spaces in the city. Buses are also available for intercity travel. However, roads in Uttarkashi can be narrow and steep, so hiring experienced drivers and exercising caution while navigating the town is essential. Trekking and hiking are also popular ways to get around and explore the nearby natural attractions.
- Check the weather conditions before planning your trip to Uttarkashi, as they vary greatly.
- Carry warm clothing and rain gear, as the weather in Uttarkashi can be unpredictable.
- Stay hydrated and carry a water bottle while exploring the town and nearby areas.
- Respect the local culture and customs while visiting religious places in Uttarkashi.
- Hire experienced drivers to navigate the narrow and steep roads of Uttarkashi.
- To ensure availability, plan your accommodations in advance, especially during peak season.
- Carry a first aid kit and any necessary medications, as Uttarkashi's medical facilities may be limited.
- Be mindful of the environment and practice responsible tourism, including proper waste disposal.
- Follow safety guidelines while trekking or hiking in Uttarkashi, and hire experienced guides if needed.