Famed for its Royal Bengal Tigers, the Jim Corbett National Park is an ideal place for planning a wildlife tour to India. Established in 1936, the park is adorned with riverine belts, hills, grasslands, marshy depressions and a scenic lake. Housing 50 species of mammals, 110 species of trees, 25 reptile species and 580 bird species, the park is the first and largest national park in India.
Interestingly, Jim Corbett was the venue for the commencement of the ‘Save the tigers’ project in India launched in 1973. The legend associated with the naming of the park is as intriguing as the park itself. The journey from Hailey National Park to Ramnagar National Park and finally to the Jim Corbett National Park is really interesting. The tiger reserve remains thronged with scores of wildlife enthusiasts every year. But, winter is the ideal time to plan a trip to Corbett. The reasons for exploring this must-visit destination in India are countless and each one is inviting in its own way.
Types of Safaris in Corbett
Many nature and animal lovers head towards the Jim Corbett National Park to enjoy wildlife safaris. Due to this, the following types of Safaris are offered at Jim Corbett.
Canter Safari is operated and conducted only by the forest officials. Enjoyed with family, friends or a large group, the Canters gives a closer view of wildlife in the park. The vehicles are open and offer a matchless experience of the wildlife safari in Jim Corbett National Park.
- Summer Timings: 5:30 am – 12:30 pm and 12:20 pm – 6:30 pm
- Winter Timings: 6:00 am – 11:00 am and 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Elephant Safari cast a spell on the visitors. A joyride on these huge creatures is the safest mode and enthralling way to delight in the wilderness. Nothing matches the unique feeling of sighting a wild carnivore from an Elephant’s back. Gaze at the different views of the jungle, its landscapes and not to forget the wildlife to make your jungle safari memorable.
- Summer Timings: 6:00 am – 8:00 am and 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
- Winter Timings: 6:00 am – 8:00 am and 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Jeep Safari is another popular activity in the Jim Corbett National Park. Embark on a 4X4 Jeep and get ready to traverse the tough terrain of the forest. The fastest means of exploring the flora and fauna is the most popular one. Due to the small size, the jeeps can even take you to the core areas which otherwise remain inaccessible via canters.
- Summer Timings: 6:00 am – 9:00 am and 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Winter Timings: 7:00 am – 10:00 am and 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Types of Flora and Fauna in Jim Corbett
Spotting the exotic flora and fauna mentioned below is one of the best things to do in the Jim Corbett National Park.
Fauna- Bengal Tiger, jungle cat, fishing cat, leopard, buffalo, elephant and Himalayan Black Bear, 586 avifauna species etc.
Flora- Lichens, ferns, mosses, exotic orchids, dodder, scarlet red flowers and several others
Buffer Zones in Jim Corbett National Park
- Jhirna – The newly introduced zone is home to bears.
- Dhikala – Housing abundance of wildlife species, Dhikala zone is the largest in the park.
- Durga Devi – Head towards this zone for spotting avifauna species.
- Birjani – Paradise for nature lovers.
Things to do in Jim Corbett
- Jungle Safari
- Exploring nearby attractions
- Bird watching
- River Rafting
- Rock climbing
- Mountain Biking
Places to Stay in Jim Corbett
Planning a holiday in Jim Corbett is incomplete without enjoying a comfortable stay. There are many resorts and camps in the park which are an ideal means of accommodation. Corbett Ramganga Resort, The Gateway Resort Corbett, Jungle Brook Camp Resort are some of the popular ones.
- Take care of nature and natural wonders
- Do not litter
- Follow the instructions
- Do not harm the wildlife
- Carry a disposable bag
- Non-vegetarian food and alcohol and are strictly not allowed
- Wear green or khaki clothes
- Drive slowly
- Avoid visiting after sunset