Ques: What is Kaziranga National Park famous for?
Ans: One-horned rhinoceros are the attracting feature of the Kaziranga National Park. The national park hosts about two-thirds of the world's population of endangered one-horned rhinoceros.
Ques: When was this National Park established?
Ans: Mary Victoria Leiter Curzon established Kaziranga Wildlife Sanctuary in 1905 to protect the decreasing population of the rhinoceros in the area. In 1950, P.D. Stracey changed the name of Kaziranga Game Sanctuary (as in 1916) to Kaziranga Wildlife Sanctuary. The main motive to change the name was to avoid hunting activities in the park. Poaching is strictly banned and huge penalty is imposed on whosoever found involved in it. In 1985, the park was entitled as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India.
Ques: What is Entry Fees and Charges of Safari in Kaziranga National Park
- Entrance: INR 50 (Indians); INR 250 (Foreigners)
- Vehicle Entry: INR 200
- Camera: INR 50 (Indians); INR 500 (Foreigners)
- Video Cameras: INR 500 (Indians); INR 1000 (Foreigners)
- Elephant Safari: INR 280 (Indians); INR 750 (Foreigners)
- Jeep Safari: INR 1000 (Central Range); INR 2000 (Burapahar)
Ques: What is the Opening and closing timings of Kaziranga National Park?
- Elephant Safaris: 0530 to 0730 (Morning Hours); 1500 to 1600 (Afternoon Hours)
- Jeep Safaris: 0730 to 1100 (Morning Hours); 1400 to 1630 (Afternoon Hours)
Ques: What are the best Places to stay nearby Kaziranga National Park
Ans: For accommodation, there are numerous wildlife resorts and hotels available in close vicinity of the Kaziranga National Park. These resorts and hotels offer comfortable accommodation at very lucrative deals. Guests not only enjoy the modern facilities and services, but the amazing sights of the surrounding.
Some popular wildlife resorts are –
Diphlu River Lodge, Jupuri Ghar, Unicorn Cottages, Iora-The Retreat Resort, Wild Grass Lodge
Ques: What are Best Time to visit Kaziranga National Park?
Ans: Kaziranga Park remains open and proffer excellent game sightings during November to April. Thus, it is the best time to visit the park. However, the site closes in rainy season i.e., from May to October as majority of the area of park gets flooded due to heavy flow of Brahmaputra River.
Further, the best time to visit Kaziranga may differ according to what we are intending to see here.
January to March - migratory birds, one-horned rhino, tiger and other rare animals.
February and March- the Flame of Forest trees make the forest look more picturesque.
March and April- one-horned rhinos and tigers especially near water-bodies. These months are also best for superb photography.
Last minute tips before visiting Kaziranga National Park
- Central area of the park is ideal to enjoy Elephant Safari and get a lifetime experience.
- The Northeastern Zone of the park is ideal for enjoying boat rides in beautiful waters.
- Avoid visiting the park in the wee hours as the mist and fog can block the view.
- Private vehicles are only allowed if you accompany a forest guide.
- Teasing, hurting or harming wildlife or fauna species of the park is strictly prohibited.
- Entry of any weapon or sharp object inside the park is prohibited.
- Keep your clothing comfortable and light. Do not were bright colors as some animals find bright colors as sign of danger and run away.
- Do not miss to carry your camera along as you will get numerous perfect pictures to keep them in your collection as a lifetime memory.
Ques: Places to visit nerar by Kaziranga National Park?
Ans: After visiting the popular Kaziranga National Park, you can also enjoy side trips to various nearby attractions mentioned below.
Bokakhat (23 km):Bokakhat is popular for historical sites, monasteries (satras), temples, natural spots, tea gardens, hand loom products, handicrafts, archaeological remains, etc.
Behora (43 km): Behora is a must visit to witness lush greenery and rolling tea gardens. The place is a visual treat for nature lovers.
Kakochang Falls (46 km): Kakochang Falls is a picturesque location to enjoy picnics and some quality time in peace.
Deopahar (51 km): Deopahar is a popular site housing Numaligarh Ruins.
The Kaziranga National Park is known worldwide for being inhabited by great Indian one-horned rhinos and tigers, along with other species of flora, avifauna and fauna. It remains open during November to April and closes in rainy season (May to October) as most of the regions of the park get flooded due to heavy flow of Brahmaputra River. Hence you can visit Kaziranga National Park in winter and summer.
Winter months (November to April) is the best time to visit Kaziranga National Park and this is the time you have the highest probability game sightings. The National Park looks green and fresh. As soon as summer arrives the climate gets hot but bearable, but during peak months of summer the temperature may rise above 35 degrees celsius.
However, the best time to visit Kaziranga may differ according to what we are intending to see here. If you want to watch migratory birds in the park, January to March are best months for you. Also, during this period you can spot its special animal, one-horned rhino, along with tiger and other rare animals.
The temperature during this time remains around 25 degrees celsius. In February and March the Flame of Forest trees make the forest look more picturesque. March and April are considered best time to spot one-horned rhinos and tigers especially near water-bodies. A lot many wildlife-photographers visit the park at this time to catch the best shot.
If you are visiting Kaziranga National Park in November and December, make sure you book your accommodation in advance as a lot of tourist visits the park during these two months because this is the festival-season in India.