Forest friendly camps was incorporated in July 2000 as a private limited company to promote eco-friendly tourism. Sher Bagh is the first camp and is situated on the periphery of the Ranthambhore National Park.
The premise of the company was based on the need to conserve the delicate balance between man and nature and show through example, how tourism can be constructive and when necessary, controlled effectively.
We, from the urban environment, have forgotten how to relate to our natural habitat, to respect and nurture it. Sher Bagh's endeavour is to propagate, through interactions there, and the special experience, this very important balance and its comprehension.
Sher Bagh Resort is situated at the edge of the Ranthambhore National Park in Rajasthan. It's set amidst trees on a private estate, overlooking a valley and along its northern periphery. It is a ten minute drive from the main entrance of the reserve.
Accommodation at the Sher Bagh Resort The camp consists of 12 luxurious bedroom tents with attached verandahs and bathrooms, a dining tent, a cafe and lots of verdant spaces in which to loll!
These tents are similar to the tenta originally designed for HH the Maharaja of Jodhpur at the turn of the last century. These tents were used on hunting expeditions. They also catered for an overflow of guests at the palace and even for Vice Regal and Royal visits. Tented cities used to spring up and provide extreme comfort even in the remotest of locations.
Dining at the Sherbagh Resort
- The dining experience is carefully crafted.
- Hot, early morning tea before the jungle ride, served to you either in your tent or at the remains of the last night's campfire.
- Full English breakfast from fruit, muesli to eggs. Cheese, sprouts, breads and yogurt.
- Lunch is Continenta, with soup, pastas, chicken or meat and salads.
- Dinner is lightly spiced local food - lentils, rice, vegetables and chicken or meat. Snacks are available on order through the day.
Services at the Sher Bagh Resort
- 12 luxury double bedroom tents with verandahs
- En suite bathrooms with running hot & cold water
- Bar Cafe
- Dining Tent
- Lounge verandah & reading room
- Ayurvedic Massage
- PUGMARK - the Sher Bagh boutique
- Telephone and fax
- Resident doctor and hospital 3 kms away
- Transfers to & from helipad & railway station
Special evening and talks with conservationists who have dedicated their lives to Ranthambhore and its animals
The promoters, Jaisal Singh and Dr.Goverdhan Singh Rathore will be at Sher Bagh through the season. They have spent their growing up years at Ranthambhore and are committed to the forest and conservation as well as rural development work in the area.