What is the best time for visiting the National Park?
The park is best visit during the comparatively cooler months of December to February. If one want to catch glimpses of Royal Bengal tigers, then the summer months of April to June are ideal as the animals come out in search for water.
What is Sundarbans National Park known for?
Sundarbans National Park is known to be one of a kid mangrove reserve. A significant part of the National Park is also known for housing Royal Bengal Tigers.
What are the charges inside the National Park?
- Entrance Fee: INR 150 rupees
- Boats Hire: INR 600 for half a day and INR 1000 for full day
- Boat Permit: INR 50
- Guide: INR 300
- Camera: INR 20
- Video camera: INR 300
Note: The given rates are liable to change without any kind of prior information.
When were the Protected Forests established?
The delta where Sundarbans National Park is located is flushed with numerous wildlife species. Located in South 24 Parganas, a short distance away from the city of Kolkata, the enchanting Sundarbans delta is the largest delta in the world.
Due to the high density of tigers in the area, as part of Project Tiger, the land of Sundarbans Delta was declared as a tiger reserve in the year 1973. By 1977, due to presence of various other wildlife species in abundance in here, it was declared as a protected wildlife sanctuary. The area also gained a lot of importance among travelers and nature enthusiasts because of the lush green mangrove forests. By 4th May 1984, it was declared as a National Park. It was included in UNESCO World Heritage Site list in the year 1987.
Where is Sundarbans National Park located?
Sundarbans National Park is located 130 km east from the city of Kolkata in Indian state of West Bengal.
What are the major attractions in and around the Park?
- Bird Sanctuary: This is the best location in the park to watch avifauna species. Watchtowers are located at Haldi, Netidhopan, Sajnekhali, Sudhanyakhali and various other locations.
- Bhagbatpur Crocodile Project: This is where tourists get to witness large number of crocodiles. It can be reached through Namkhana. It is the largest hatchery of estuarine Crocodile in the world.
- Chargheri Char: The mudflats at Sundarbans National Park are popular tourist attractions in Sundarbans. Tourists love coming here to see Horseshoe Crab, Octopus and Sea Anemones.
What kind of accommodation facilities are the best nearby Sundarbans National Park forests?
There are numerous accommodation options in and around Sundarbans National Park where tourists love to stay. All these hotels are located at a convenient distance from the park and offer an adventurous stay.
The best option of accommodation for tourists is the wildlife lodges and resorts that are located near Sundarbans National Park. These resorts excel when it comes to providing amenities and comfortable stay to the guests.
The close proximity to National Park makes it convenient for tourists to go on early morning boat rides. Some of these wildlife resorts plan special tours for tourists to the National park so that the guests can simply sit back and relax.
Some popular accommodations include Sajnekhali Tourist Lodge, Sunderban Tiger Camp, Sundarbans Jungle Camp, etc.
Some travel tips before visiting the famous Sundarbans National Park Forest:
Some tips might come in handy when going/planning a tour to Sundarbans National Park:
- At no cost whatsoever, one should get down in the water or at the river bank.
- It is advised to one and all the keep their cameras ready as one would want to click lots of pictures.
- Destroying plantations or hurting wildlife species is a serious offence and should strictly not be done.
- One must be very patient during the boat rides.
- Bringing your own personal boats for private tours require lengthy permission procedures and hence must be avoided.