Chettinad is decked with plush wood furnishings and ceramic collections from across the globe, reminiscent of the grand architectural style of the ancient times. During a tour to Chettinad, visitors should not miss out on shopping. Right from antiques to cotton sarees, Chettinad in Tamil Nadu offers a shopping experience to remember with great delight.
Some of the famous tourist attractions to visit during a tour to Chettinad are -
- Kamban Mani Mandapam : This edifice was constructed in honor of late Tamil poet Kavi Chakravarthy Kamban and many literary programs are conducted here annually.
- Kaviarsar Kannadhasan Mani Mandapam: It has a museum with a stunning collection of artifacts including traditional jewelry, attires, huge copper vats and grain bins.
- Periya Minor's Veedu: Replete with a Spanish tiled roof, Italian floor tiles and carved teak pillars, this impressive mansion simples awes it visitors.
- Sri Meenakshi Sundaeswarar Temple: This temple in Devakottai is renowned for the 108 statues of Vinayak.
- Athangudi: You can learn the art of making and drying handmade patterned terracotta tiles by visiting a tile factory in Athangudi.
The best time to visit Chettinad is between the months of October and March.
How to reach Chettinad
- By air: The nearest airport is the Madurai Airport (90 km).
- By rail: The main railway station is located at Karaikudi, which connects Chettinad with Chennai and other major cities in Tamil Nadu.
- By road: Karaikudi, located near Chettinad, is well connected by national highways 45 and 210 with cities like Madurai, Trichy, Tanjore and Chennai.
During a tour to Chettinad, guests can stay at some fine hotels that offer a remarkable blend of tradition and modernity to ensure a comfortable stay. The Bangala and Hotel Chettinad Mansion are some fine examples.Enquire Now