People residing in Kolkata know how fast the mercury rises in May and how harsh the sun can get. This is the time when most people are looking for the best places to visit near Kolkata in May. If you are one of them too, then hop on a journey to these summer weekend getaways from Kolkata.
Kolkata is no doubt an incredible place of rich heritage, culture, history, and art. But if waking up to the hot and humid weather of Kolkata exhausted you, we have a refreshing solution for you! And we are not talking about Kvass!
Whether you are a family, a honeymoon couple, or a solo traveller, and are seeking natural beauty, romance, spirituality, or adventure, these destinations near Kolkata will make your summertime relaxing, refreshing, and more fun.
Here are the best places to visit near Kolkata in May for a relaxing holiday.
If you are looking for short or long getaways from Kolkata, check out these cool places near Kolkata that can be easily visited on a budget.
- Digha – Unspoiled Natural Beauty
- Mayapur – City of Spiritual Bliss
- Tajpur – Beautiful Sea Beach
- Bakkhali – Breathtaking Beaches
- Henry’s Island – Serene Beauty
- Mandarmani Beach – Calm and Adventure
- Santiniketan – Unique Abode of Learning
- Sundarbans – Home to Royal Bengal Tigers
- Jamshedpur – The Steel City
- Purulia – Beauty of Hills and Temples
- Darjeeling – Tea and Nature
- Talasari Beach – A Fisherman’s Paradise
- Kurseong – The Land of the White Orchids
- Kamarpukur – Home of the Spiritual Master of Swami Vivekananda
- Jhargram – Forests, Temples, and Palaces
Did you know? Marine Aquarium in Digha is the largest inbuilt marine aquarium in India.
Who doesn’t like to relax at a quiet beach while the gushing waters touch the seashore? Digha is exactly the place for it! With minimal human contact, this beach town is a hidden gem and among the less-crowded places to visit near Kolkata with family. Kids will love to spend time at the beautiful beaches amidst pleasant weather, witness the high-tech research centres, while you can offer prayers at magnificent temples.
Distance from Kolkata: 184 km, 4 hours approx.
How to reach: You can easily plan a fun Kolkata to Digha road trip with your family. Else, take a train to Digha railway station. And from there, hire a private taxi to reach your desired location.
Things to do in Digha:
- Unwind at New Digha Sea Beach.
- Stroll amidst nature at Amarabati Park.
- Relax at Old Digha Sea Beach.
- Visit Digha Science Center for an interactive science session.
- Witness regional marine life at Marine Aquarium.
- Enjoy a toy train ride at Wonderland Kajal.
Did you know? You can actually see the different colours of rivers Ganges and river Jalangi situated near the ISKCON Mayapur.
If you are on a hunt to find religious sites near Kolkata, visit Mayapur in May. Established in the 14th century, Sridham Mayapur is the birthplace of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and calls itself the “Spiritual Capital of the World”. The fascinating history and tourist attractions add to the charm of this place. Further, the serene environment, glorious views, and spiritual vibes of Mayapur make it a must-visit destination near Kolkata.
Distance from Kolkata: 123 km, 4 hours approx.
How to reach: The best way to reach Mayapur from Kolkata is to hire a bus through ISKCON Kolkata, which will take you to Mayapur directly. You can choose your pick-up point.
Things to do in Mayapur:
- Admire the architecture of the Temple of Vedic Planetarium.
- Offers prayers at ISKCON Mayapur.
- Seek blessings at Chandrodaya Temple.
- Have fun at Nabadwip Amusement Park.
- Visit Srila Prabhupada Pushpa Samadhi Mandir.
Did you know? Tajpur is one of the most hidden beaches in India.
Untouched by commercialization and tourism, Tajpur is among the best places to visit near Kolkata in May. The calming atmosphere, the uncrowded beaches, the tranquil shore of the Bay of Bengal will enhance your vacation experience. It is also a great place near Kolkata for couples to spend time in peace and privacy. You can witness the gorgeous crescent-shaped beaches and see hundreds of crabs on the beach which makes the beaches the perfect shade of red.
Distance from Kolkata: 173 km, 4 hours
How to reach: Board a train from Kolkata to Ramnagar railway station, which is nearly 10 km away from Tajpur. Once reached, take a taxi to Tajpur. Being close to Kolkata city, Tajpur can be easily accessed by road.
Things to do in Tajpur:
- Stay in a luxury beachfront resort.
- Indulge in adventure activities like paragliding, river rafting, and rock climbing.
- Enjoy a banana boat ride.
- Catch the mesmerizing sunset.
Did you know? Bakkhali Beach is one of the cleanest beaches in the area.
Escape the summer heat, get on a road trip, and enjoy the serene environs of Bakkhali. Located close to Sunderbans, Bakkhali has some of the most beautiful beaches near Kolkata. Beach walks, boat rides, cycle rides, islands, and wind farms enhance the breathtaking beauty of this place and make it one of the best places to visit in May near Kolkata. Bakkhali is among those places you need to add to your summer bucket list.
Distance from Kolkata: 125 km, 4 hours
How to reach: You can plan a road trip from Kolkata to Bakkhali. There are no direct trains to Bakkhali from Kolkata.
Things to do in Bakkhali:
- Relax at Bakkhali beach.
- Witness birds at Jambudweep.
- Explore Fraserganj Wind Park.
- Visit the Crocodile Breeding Center.
- Offers prayers at Bishalakshmi Temple.
5. Henry’s Island
Did you know? Dating back to European times in India, Henry’s Island was named after a European who surveyed this island.
Plan a vacation near Kolkata to this island and explore the island covered in mangrove forests. The rocks, white sands, and places opposite Lothian Island forest make it even more special. On your island near Kolkata, witness fifty ponds, which are dug up by the Fisheries Department of West Bengal for the breeding of prawns and fishes.
Distance from Kolkata: 126 km, 4 hours approx.
How to reach: The nearest railway station to Henry’s Island is Namkhana railway station, which is well-connected to Kolkata. Once you reach the train station, take a taxi to the island.
Things to do at Henry’s Island:
- Get lost in the serenity of this place.
- Lay on the white sands and catch the sunset.
- Treat your eyes to the never-ending ocean views.
- Spend time with your partner in peace.
- See the fifty ponds of prawns and fishes.
6. Mandarmani Beach
Did you know? This is the longest drivable beach in India.
Visit Mandarmani Beach, a recent addition to the places to visit near Kolkata in May. This place is slowly gaining popularity among the other places near Kolkata. Tucked away from the city’s bustle, the calm atmosphere of this beach will make your weekend more relaxing. On your visit, witness great scenery, enjoy a walk on the sandy beach, and experience an enthralling aura of luxury. A crazy high-speed ride on Mandarmani Beach will give you the ultimate thrill you are missing in your day-to-day life.
Distance from Kolkata: 179 km, 4 hours approx.
How to reach: You can take the Kolkata – Digha route to reach Mandarmani. You need to pass through narrow village roads for 11 km till you reach Mandarmani Beach.
Things to do at Mandarmani Beach:
- Catch the sunrise over the Bay of Bengal.
- Indulge in water activities like swimming, surfing, jet skiing.
- Enjoy banana boat rides.
- Enjoy the thrill on an ATV bike.
- For a unique experience, try the bungee trampoline.
Did you know? Rabindranath Tagore started his school at Santiniketan with only 5 students, which included his eldest son, and an equal number of teachers.
The story of Santiniketan began when Debendra Nath Tagore bought a piece of land to build a guest house and planted trees around it. His loving son, Rabindra Nath Tagore, in 1901, started a school here with just 5 students, which became India’s first university. After independence, it was named Visva Bharati University and an institution of national importance. Therefore, for all the history buffs, Santiniketan makes the perfect weekend destination from Kolkata.
Distance from Kolkata: 162 km, 4 hours approx.
How to reach: Board a train from Howrah or Sealdah stations in Kolkata to Santiniketan. From there hire a cab till Shantiniketan.
Things to do at Santiniketan:
- Tour Rabindranath Tagore’s home.
- Visit Sonajhuri Haat to experience the local rural culture.
- Meditate at Chhatimtala.
- Spot deer and birds at Deer Park.
- Cherish the beauty of the Kopai River.
Did you know? Sundarbans is the largest mangrove forest in the world.
For a relaxing getaway from Kolkata in May, visit Sundarbans. Get a chance to beat the scorching heat and enjoy the peaceful environment of this place. Along with this, treat your eyes to the Royal Bengal Tigers and countless beautiful birds and reptile’s species. There is also a biosphere reserve here which houses roaring rivers and beautiful estuaries. This combination of peace and wildness has no doubt made Sundarbans one of the best places to visit near Kolkata within 100 km.
Distance from Kolkata: 100 km, 5 hours approx.
How to reach: Travel to Sundarbans from Kolkata by train. Get off at Canning and then take a taxi to Namkhana, Raidighi, Sonakhali, and Najat. From here, motor launch services are available for Sundarbans.
Things to do at Sundarbans:
- Witness roaring Bengal Tigers.
- Catch the sight of dazzling dolphins.
- Click Instagram-worthy pictures.
- Visit local villages.
- Enjoy a night safari tour.
[ Plan Your Short Escape to Sunderbans ]
Did you know? Jamshedpur is home to the tenth largest steel manufacturing company in the world, Tata Steel.
An aesthetically planned city in Jharkhand, Jamshedpur holds immense beauty and appealing infrastructure. If you think there is not much to do in Jamshedpur in May, then you will be surprised to witness the architectural marvels that the city will treat you to. Jamshedpur is no doubt among the best weekend getaways from Kolkata for visiting its tree-lined jubilee park, Bhuvaneshwari temple, and Dalma wildlife sanctuary.
Distance from Kolkata: 283 km, 5 hours approx.
How to reach: Jamshedpur is well-connected with Kolkata by train. You can board a train from Kolkata and get down at Jamshedpur. From there, hire a bus or taxi to reach your desired location.
Things to do at Jamshedpur:
- Witness elephants at Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Learn more about animals at Tata Steel Zoological Park.
- Enjoy boating in Dimna Lake.
- Stroll in the rose garden at Sir Dorabji Tata Park.
- Offer prayers at Rankini Mandir.
Did you know? Purulia possesses the major industries of oilseed milling, cane work, silk, and cotton weaving, and shellac manufacture.
A treasure trove for Jains, Purulia houses 7th-century Jain temple ruins and is a place of mesmerizing natural beauty. Among the great weekend destinations near Kolkata, Purulia makes for a refreshing holiday and gets you away from daily city life. A holiday to this place near Kolkata will relieve you from your stress and treat you to rich cultural heritage, majestic landscapes, verdant hills, fresh air, lush greenery, and warm hospitality.
Distance from Kolkata: 289 km, 6 hours approx.
How to reach: The most convenient way to reach Purulia from Kolkata is by bus. You can also drive on your own and have a fun road trip with your loved ones.
Things to do in Purulia:
- Explore the ruins of Garh Panchkot palace.
- Witness scenic views from Biharinath Hill.
- Enjoy the sight of cascading waterfalls at Ayodhya Hill and Forest Reserve Area.
- Visit Panchet Dam.
- Hike to Panchet Hill.
- Trek to Jyochandhi Pahar.
Did you know? You can ride the Heritage Train Ride from Darjeeling to Ghoom. And UNESCO has termed its journey ‘the most outstanding example of a hill passenger railway’.
Boasting natural beauty, pleasant weather, and breathtaking landscapes, Darjeeling is among the gorgeous hill stations in India, and one of the best places to visit in India near Kolkata. Plan a summer tour from Kolkata, and relish the scenic views, the fragrance of tea leaves, flowering Rhododendrons, and Magnolia plants. Whether you want to visit for a honeymoon, a family vacation, or with friends, Darjeeling holds something for every kind of traveller.
Distance from Kolkata: 633 km, 17 hours approx.
How to reach: You can take a train from Kolkata to New Jalpaiguri/ Siliguri railway station and from there, hire a cab to Darjeeling. Else, buses from Kolkata to Siliguri are also available by North Bengal State Transport Corporation.
- Enjoy a scenic ride on Batasia Loop.
- Meditate at Japanese Temple and Peace Pagoda.
- Stroll amidst beautiful scenery in the Rock Garden.
- Plan a picnic at Nightingale Park.
- Shop for woolens of Chowk Bazar.
- Spot leopards at Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park.
12. Talasari Beach
Did you know? Talasari gets its name from Tala (rhythm) and Sari (row) – the rhythm formed by a well arrayed lush green belt and golden sands.
Bestowed with a spectacular panorama, Talasari beach is great to get your mind off of daily bustle. It is among the most peaceful and unspoiled beaches of Odisha and therefore, makes for a great weekend destination near Kolkata. This virgin beach is blessed with dunes, calmer waves, rows of palm, coconut, and cashew trees that you can witness on your trip. There are not many people here, so you can relax and talk heart-to-heart with your dear ones.
Distance from Kolkata: 137 km, 3.5 hours approx.
How to reach: From Kolkata, reach Digha by bus and then by jeep/ Auto/ Rickshaw to Chandaneswar. Hire an auto from Chandaneswar to Talasari or trek to the beach, which is approx. 3 km in distance.
Things to do in Talasari Beach:
- Enjoy boating.
- Feel the fresh air on your face.
- Walk by the beach with your special one.
- Swim away from the summer heat.
- Visit the Science Center and Marine Aquarium near the beach.
- Pay a visit to Chandaneswar Temple and Lankeswari Temple.
Did you know? Dow Hill in Kurseong is considered one of the most haunted places in India.
Famous for its white orchids, Kurseong is a lovely hill station in the Darjeeling district and is amongst the most beautiful places around Kolkata. If you wish to spend time in nature with valley views, tea plantations around, and orchids this summer, start planning a trip to Kurseong. For the people of Kolkata, this will be a refreshing break from the scorching heat and crowds. Also, Kurseong will treat you to laid-back vibes and delectable Tibetan dishes.
Distance from Kolkata: 603 km, 16 hours approx.
How to reach: There are no direct trains. You can take a train from Kolkata to Siliguri station, and from there, hire a cab to Kurseong.
Things to do in Kurseong:
- Feel the thrill while rafting in the Teesta river.
- Indulge in adventures like trekking and rock climbing.
- Witness the hill slopes full of blooming white orchids.
- Visit the School of Kurseong.
- Witness panoramic views from Eagles Craig View Point.
Did you know? Kamarpukur is the birthplace of a pious saint, Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa, the spiritual master of Swami Vivekananda.
Escape the scorching heat of May, and plan a trip to one of the best places to visit in May near Kolkata, Kamarpukur. It is a small cluster of villages that will refresh your mind and recharge you. Get a chance to witness the humble lifestyle of the people living here and the effortless beauty. So, if you want to see temples and nature at the same place, Kamarpukur is your place to be this summer.
Distance from Kolkata: 97 km, 3 hours approx.
How to reach: Take a bus from Kolkata to Kamarpukur or simply drive your own vehicle.
Things to do in Kamarpukur:
- Offer prayers at Kamarpukur Ramakrishna Math.
- Visit the ancient Gopeshwar Temple.
- Witness the sacred relics of Ma Sarada at Matri Mandir.
- Take a refreshing bath in Talpukur Tank.
- Seek blessings at Simhavahini Temple.
Did you know? The forests in Jhargram are so dense that it remains dark and cool even on summer days.
Jhargram located near Kolkata is a small city that offers its guests a rich historical and cultural background. Take your loved ones on a weekend trip from Kolkata and straight into the lap of nature. On your visit to Jhargram, you will be mesmerized by the picturesque beauty and the friendly nature of tribal people. Moreover, it is a paradise for nature admirers as Jhargram is dotted with forests of sal, teak, wild elephants, deer, and birds in its vicinity.
Distance from Kolkata: 174 km, 4 hours approx.
How to reach: Board an Express/Local train from Howrah/Tatanagar to Jhargram Station or simply drive to Jhargram from Kolkata via NH6.
Things to do in Jhargram:
- Witness the dances performed by tribals here.
- Visit Jhargram Royal Palace.
- Learn history at Chilkigarh Palace.
- Spot the wildlife at Jhargram Mini Zoo or Deer Park.
May is the hottest month of the year in India when most of the places are burning in the scorching summer heat. This gives enough reason to the people of Kolkata to plan a fun weekend trip near Kolkata with their loved ones. Pack your sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses, and hear about these best places to visit near Kolkata in May for a refreshing and fun-filled summer holiday. Where are you heading first?