Kollam was formerely known as Quilon, located on the edge ofAshthamudi Lake is an ancient port of Kerala. Kollam is the gateway to magnificent Kerala Backewaters. The backwater cruise from kollam to Alleppey is the longest in Kerala and takes 8 hours.It is also an important centre for cashewnuts trading in Kerala. It is also refreed as early centre of Christian activities in Kerala. Exploring a beautiful seaside hamlet, Thangesseri.or visit the remains of Portuguese and Dutch forts, ancient churches, built during the 18th century, a 3 kms long beach and a 100-year old lighthouse while at your IHPL tour to Kollam.
Kollam Tour Packages
Popular Kollam Holiday Packages
Cochin - Kumarakom - Alleppey - Quilon - Kollam - TrivandrumTrip Highlights
- Tour to Mattancherry Palace
- Bird photography at Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
- Enjoy boating on Vembanad Lake
- Houseboat stay in Alleppey
- Alumkadavu tour
Trivandrum - Kovalam - Kollam - Alleppey - Periyar - CochinTrip Highlights
- Enjoy a relaxing massage
- Cruise along the backwaters
- Jungle Safari in Periyar
- Explore spice plantations
- Excursion to Cochin
- Marvel at Kathakali dance
Mumbai – Mangalore – Bekal – Wayanad – Kozhikode(Calicut) – Cochin – Thekkady – Kumarakom– Quilon – Varkala - KovalamTrip Highlights
- Guided tours to Mumbai
- Enjoy fun beach activities
- Explore Bekal Fort
- Visit Pookot lake (boating)
- Hike to Lakkidi
- Spot wildlife at the Wayanad sanctuary
- Trace history at Kappad
- Guided tours to Kochi
- Boat ride on the Periyar Lake
- Houseboat ride on Kumarakom backwaters
- Sightseeing in Kollam
- Indulge in beach activities at Kovalam
Ques: Where Kollam is situated ?
Ans: Kollam earlier known as Quilon is on the banks of Ashtamudi Lake in the state of Kerala. It was among the most important ports which were part of the legendary Spice Trade. Kollam is considered as one of the oldest ports on the Malabar Coast and has long been drawing the attraction of international countries.
Ques: Which city known as ‘Prince of Arabian Sea ?
Ans: City of Kollam or Quilon is known as Prince of Arabian Sea, situated on the banks of Arabian Sea and Ashtamudi Lake.
Ques: Why Kollam is famous?
Ans: It is famous for cashew processing and coir manufacturing. Over a third of its surface is covered by the great Ashtamudi Lake, the entrance to the renowned backwaters of Kerala, which makes Kollam a prominent tourist destination to enjoy backwater.
Ques: How can we reach Kollam?
Ans: Kollam can be reached by following modes :
- By Air: Kollam does not have any airport and the nearest airport is situated at Thiruvananthapuram at a distance of about 70 km from Kollam city.
- By Rail: Kollam Railway Station is one of the major railheads of Kerala & frequent Trains are available for other cities.
- By Road: Kollam enjoys good connectivity by road to near by cities. The Capital city Trivandrum is approx. 60 Kms from Kollam, Kochi is apporx 140 Kms, Kanyakumari approx. 170 Kms, Madurai is approx. 270 Kms.
Ques: Is Kollam worth visiting?
Ans: Endowed with a long and scenic coastline, Kollam has many peaceful and scenic places to offer. Since it is located on the banks of Ashtamudi Lake, it is also one of the best places to go cruising in the backwaters.
Ques: Which language is spoken in Kollam?
Ans: Malayalam is the main language in Kollam. Other than Malayalam the other Kollam languages are Kannada, Telegu and Tamil.
Ques: Can we enjoy backwater cruise at Kollam?
Ans: Yes, in Asthamudi Lake tourists can enjoy backwater on houseboat.
Ques: Where can we stay at Kollam?
Ans: Kollam has variety of Accommodation which can be offered to tourists for an overnight stay. Some of the recommended hotels are Fragrant Nature Backwater Resort & Ayurveda Spa, The Quilon Beach Hotel & Convention Centre, All Season’s D’Fort Ayurvedic Resort etc.
Ques: What is the Best time to visit Kollam ?
Ans: The months from October to February mark the winter season. This is the most pleasant time to visit Kollam.
Ques: What are the main sightseeing Places in Kollam ?
Ans: Kollam offers backwater and beaches and some of the famous attractions are as follows: Ashtamudi Lake- It is the most visited backwater and lake in the state.
Kollam Beach, also known by the name Mahatma Gandhi Beach, is a scenic stretch of sandy shores.
Thirumullavaram Beach- One the famous beach of Kollam and Shallow waters makes it a safe place for swimming and children would find this beach extremely exciting.
Adventure Park, one of the most visited picnic spots of Kollam.
Ques: What are the sightseeing places near to Kollam ?
Ans: Some of the famous Tourists Places near to Kollam are as follows
- Kovalam: A well-known beach town situated near to the capital city of Kerala Thiruvananthapuram and it is approx. 80 Kms from Kollam.
- Athirapally: It is famous for its majestic waterfalls and enchanting rain forests. It is approx. 230 Kms from Kollam.
- Madurai: This Temple city has been one of the oldest cities to be inhabited and at the distance of approx. 270 kms.
- Varkala: It is a beautiful coastal town nestled in Thiruvananthapuram district.