The pandemic has taken a heavy toll on the mental health of people, as being confined to just the four walls of their home, has deprived them from any kind of social experience.
And as the saying… Travelling is good for the soul, clearly tells that you should take a vacation from time to time, doesn’t matter if it’s a short one or a long one but the one good thing it will do is free your mind from the pandemic woes.
And if you live in Maharashtra and planning a trip near Mumbai after the Pandemic, then you are in absolute luck… as the number of Covid cases has been consistently decreasing. So we have prepared a list for you-5 Safe Places To Visit Near Mumbai During Covid.
It is the perfect time for you to go out and travel a little…but you mustn’t forget to take all the necessary covid precautions.
Disclaimer: The states mentioned in this blog have lifted COVID-19 restrictions at the time this post was published. Please check the COVID-19 travel guidelines of these places at the website of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare or the National Center for Disease Control at the time of travel.
5 Safe Places To Visit Near Mumbai During Covid
Our mind needs peace and tranquility to keep up with this hectic life, as both act as a cure for the soul. And there are several places near Mumbai, which can rejuvenate your spirit. So what are we waiting for?
Let’s have a look at the 5 safe places to visit:
Now before we go ahead and learn enchanting things about these beautiful places, let’s look at the most important factor, which is…
COVID Guidelines: When Travelling in Maharashtra
- If you are a resident of Maharashtra, then you do not require an RT-PCR test report at all, for traveling in Maharashtra.
- But on the other hand, if you are coming from outside of the city, then you are required to present a negative RT-PCR report. The test must have been done 48 hours before entering the state.
- You must wear a mask at all times and maintain proper social distancing.
- Use hand sanitizer at regular intervals.
- Follow covid appropriate behaviour.
Now let’s move ahead and take a look at the first place for a Covid Safe Family Vacation in Maharashtra.
This mesmerizing coastal town is located in the nearby vicinity of Mumbai. And if you feel that it has been some time since you have heard the sound of waves at the beach, then this is the perfect place for you.
Alibaug has the shadow of Portuguese culture engraved in its memories. Thus in case you are a history lover, then this place will be your gold mine, because of it being home to several historical monuments such as Kolaba Fort, Hirakot Fort, and Undheri Fort.
So if you are planning for holidays in Maharashtra, then Alibaug should be on your bucket list.
- Distance from Mumbai: 95 km (approx.)
- Best time to visit: November to March, as the weather is dry and cold, which is perfect for enjoying a day at the beach.
- Ideal Duration: 2 to 3 days
Things to do in Alibaug:
- If you want to spend a day with complete peace and tranquility, then you do so by visiting the beaches such as Varsoli Beach, Kihim Beach, Mandwa Beach, and Alibaug Beach. Alibaug has the best scenic beaches in Maharashtra.
- You can go camping also, to spend a little time in serenity with nature.
- And if you are an ardent fan of adventurous activities, then you can go trekking also.
How to Reach Alibaug
- By Water: You can take a ferry either from Gateway of India or Bhaucha Dhakka to reach Alibaug, with the travel duration being only 50 minutes.
- By Road: But since these are pandemic times, you may want to go by your vehicle, then you can do them also. But in that case, the time limit will amount to 2 hr 24 min.
- By Air: There is no nearby airport to Alibaug, but you can get off at Mumbai airport and then hire a private Taxi for reaching Alibaug.
- By Train: The nearest railheads are Roha and Panvel, from here you can take a taxi to reach your destination.
The next place on the list is:
Do you know how they say that some songs are underrated? Well, the same can be said for travel destinations also, as Matheran hill station is filled with tranquility and quietude.
It has been recognized as an eco-sensitive zone by the state, to preserve its encapsulation of picturesque beauty. The word Matheran means forest on the forehead.
- Distance from Mumbai: 83 km.
- Best time to visit: Between October and May
- Ideal Duration: 1 or 2 days
Things to do in Matheran:
- For the adventure lovers, Matheran has something really good in-store, as you can go for Waterfall Rappelling at Dodhani Waterfalls.
- To cherish that feeling of adrenaline rush, you can also go for a trek to the Chanderi Caves.
- And if you are a fan of scenic locations and beaches, then you can visit Charlotte Lake, Little Chowk Point, and Porcupine Point.
- Matheran is also home to the Ambarnath Shiv Temple, where you can go to take the blessings of the god.
How To Reach Matheran
- By Road: If you are driving in your car, then you can take the Mumbai-Pune Expressway route to reach Matheran. The traveling duration will be 2 hr 27 min.
- By Train: The closest railway station to Matheran is Neral. You can take the Deccan Express from Mumbai to reach the same. And after reaching Neral, you can take a cab or taxi, which will amount to an additional 30 minutes in the journey.
- By Air: Matheran does not have any nearby airport. And the remotely closest airports are in Mumbai and Pune only, from where you can take a taxi to reach Matheran.
This is a travel secret that still remains hidden from the rest of the world. It is a village which is located in the Pune city. The captivating view of Sahyadri ranges from the village that will take your mind to an alternate world.
And if you are a trek lover, then you can go trekking to places like Kondeshwar cliff, Tower Hill or Shelar. There is something in store for the history buffs too, as they can go exploring the caves in the area such as Bhaja Buddhist Caves, Bedse Caves, and Karla Caves. Kamshet is the ideal place for a weekend trip with a friend.
- Distance from Mumbai: 100.4 km
- Best time to visit: Between October and May
- Ideal Duration: 2-3 days
Things to do in Kamshet
- For Adventure Lovers: You can go paragliding, trekking in Kamshet, to fulfill your thirst for adventure.
- For History Buffs: If you are utterly fond of the story behind the origin of places, then you can visit Bedsa Caves, Bhairi caves, for knowing how things came to be.
- For Peace lovers: In case you just want to have a peaceful day, then you can do so by spending a day filled with leisure at Pawna Lake.
How To Reach Kamshet
- By Air: In this scenario, Pune airport will be the nearest one, after which you can hire a private taxi for reaching Kamshet.
- By Road: The total driving distance between Pune and Kamshet is approximately 100 km. The traveling duration will amount to 2 hr 4 min.
- By Train: You will be required to board a train from Mumbai to Lonavala, at first and upon reaching the same, you can board a suburban train for reaching Kamshet.
Thus a short trip to Kamshet will take away all your worries for the weekend.
In case you are a fan of aesthetic architecture, stunning sceneries, and magnificent mountains, then Karnala Fort should be on your bucket list.
The fort is located in the Raigad district and offers a stunning view of nature filled with tranquility. Here’s a fun fact for the history buffs:
The construction of the fort was done under the rulership of Devagiri Yadavas and the Tuglaq rulers before 1400 CE. More importantly, the fort is situated in a manner that it fell in the pathways of the trade routes during that time.
This led to the Gujarat Sultanate, the Ahmadnagar Sultanate, the Portuguese, the Mughals, the Bhonsle Maratha clan, and the British East India Company, competing for the control of the fort, during different periods in history.
- Distance from Mumbai: 54.4 km
- Best time to visit: Between October and April
- Ideal Duration: 2-3 days
Things To Do In Karnala Fort
- After you visit the Karnala fort, you can go for a visit to the Karnala Bird Sanctuary, where migratory and local birds serve as the chief tourist attraction.
- For taking the blessings of the elder Goddess Bhavani, you can visit the Bhavani temple.
- You can also visit Bot Lake to spend leisure time with your friends and family.
How To Reach Karnala Fort
- By Road: You can take the Mumbai-Goa Highway, NH-17 for reaching Karnala Fort. This will result in a 2-hour drive from Thane Creek and Panvel.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to the fort is Panvel. You can take a train from the VT station (Mumbai) to reach Panvel. After which you can take either an auto-rickshaw or a taxi to reach the fort.
- By Air: The nearest airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, which is located at a distance of 60 km from the Karnala Bird Sanctuary. And from the airport, you can take a taxi to reach Karnala fort.
This tiny village is located in the Sahyadri ranges. It is situated near the banks of river Amba. The magnificent view of nature, which surrounds the lake will fill your heart with a feeling of serenity.
Monsoon season is the perfect time for you to visit the village, as you will get a chance to see the scenic view of waterfalls passing through the hillocks. It’s verdant greenery and ethereal beauty has made it a popular tourist destination.
Durshet has rightfully earned it’s place on “weekend getaways from Mumbai” list.
- Distance from Mumbai: 76.2 km
- Best time to visit: Between January and April
- Ideal Duration: 3 to 5 days
Things to do in Durshet
- Trek to Sarasgad and Sudhagad Forts.
- In case love water sports, then you can do river rafting, rappelling, and do other activities in the Kundalika River.
- Take a bath in the Uddhar hot water springs.
How to Reach Durshet
- By Air: There is no primary airport in the nearby vicinity of Durshet. The nearest airport is Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
- By Road: The town is well connected by roads from Mumbai, and your total traveling duration will amount to 1 hr 43 min.
- By Train: The nearest railhead to Durshet is Khopoli Station, and from here you can take a taxi to reach Durshet.
The places are calling the traveler inside you… so what are you waiting for? Go ahead pack your bags and leave for a vacation that enlightens and rejuvenates your soul. But don’t forget to take all the necessary Covid precautions because safety comes first…