Auli is a charming hill town in Uttarakhand. Although famous as a paradise for skiing lovers, the town is charming all through the year. But, it is in winter that visitors can partake in some of the best things to do in Auli.
To begin with, one can simply soak in the ethereal beauty of the snow-covered destination. Additionally, camping, ropeway rides, trekking, etc. are some of the enthralling activities which will add a touch of adventure to your trip to Auli.
Not only this, there is a lot more in store for you!
Indulge in these 11 Unique Things to do in Auli
- Auli Ropeway
- Artificial Lake
- Gorson Trek
- Visit Joshimath
- Nanda Devi National Park
- Trek to Kuari Pass
- Visit the Kwani Bugyal
- Visit Chenab Lake
- Trek to Chattrakund
- Trek to Trishul Peak
1. Delight in a ride on Auli ropeway
If you are planning to visit Auli, Uttarakhand, then make sure that you don’t miss the exciting cable car ride. Connecting Auli to Joshimath, the sprawling ropeway is one of the highest and longest in India.
Reach unbelievable heights within no time and you will be definitely stunned once the ride gets over. You don’t have only one but two options at hand – the chair car ride from GMNV to Auli and the Joshimath-Auli Gondola.
Why try Auli Ropeway?
- Marvel at the awe-inspiring views of the snow-laden valley and green pastures.
- Overcome your fear of height.
- Take fun quotient to next level by admiring whopping 270-degree views of the surroundings.
2. Skiing in Auli
There is hardly anybody who doesn’t know about Auli Skiing. It is one of the best adventure activities in Auli. Owing to the worldwide repute it enjoys, the activity lures skiing enthusiasts from all over the world. The stunning landscape and towering snow-laden slopes are so inviting that one can’t resist the urge to explore them.
Featuring state-of-the-art amenities, a world-class ski resort adds to the surreal charm of India’s popular hill station. Justifying the title of one of the best skiing destinations in India, Auli will surely appeal to the adventurer in you.
Why try Skiing in Auli?
- Traverse the glistening slopes covered with snow in Auli.
- Pacify your adrenaline rush by trying your hands at something challenging.
- If not alone, you can try the activity with your family and friends.
Browse through the Best Auli Packages
3. Fall in love with Auli Artificial Lake
Although a man-made wonder, the Auli Artificial Lake mirrors many other scenic natural lakes in India. Oozing with sublime beauty, the lake will definitely amuse and surprise you. Visiting the lake is one of the best things to do in Auli in winter.
The irresistible charm will steal your heart away! Another key point to note about the lake is that the water from the reservoir is used to fuel the snow gun. This in return extends the skiing season thereby allowing you to enjoy the snowfall even in case of less snowfall.
Why try Auli Artificial Lake?
- Auli Artificial Lake is the highest man-made lake in the world.
- Spend some time amidst tranquility and beautiful landscape.
- Enjoy skiing which is otherwise not possible in other places in case of less snowfall.
Suggested read: 10 Best Ashrams in Rishikesh for Yoga and Meditation
4. Go for Gorson Trek
One of the best things to do in Auli in winter is skiing. A short yet sweet trek to the Gorson Bugyal passes through an unwinding trail. While traversing the trail you will experience that a box of happiness and surprises lay open in front of you.
You won’t ever have enough of the beautiful meadow wearing a white look during winter. For this reason, the site is reckoned as one of the best places to visit in Auli.
Why try trek to Gorson Bugyal?
- Gaze at the three imposing Himalayan peaks – Trishul, Nanda Devi, and Dron.
- Let the cool breeze leave a refreshing effect on you.
- Pursue your photography passion to your heart’s content.
5. Visit the enchanting Joshimath
Call it a sacred land, a top winter tourist attraction, or whatever you wish to, if you are looking for the top things to do in Auli in December, then visiting Joshimath should be on your list. The place wears a white sheet of snow during the winter season and it has multiple interesting places to visit.
You can take a cable car ride from Auli to Joshimath and then return the same way. The temples that can be visited in Joshimath include Narsingh Temple, Bhavishya Badri, and Shankaracharya Math. Moreover, it is a picture-perfect honeymoon couple-friendly destination.
If you like adrenaline-rushing activities, hike to Thaing and Niti. Joshimath is also one of the best places to visit with family for a relaxing vacation, especially in the summer season.
Why should visit Joshimath?
- Embark on a spiritual sojourn to various temples.
- Gaze at the 1200 years old majestic tree which remains evergreen and an idol of Narasimha in form of half man and half lion.
- Challenge the daredevil in you by participating in various adventure activities.
Suggested read:10 Best Adventure Activities in Rishikesh
6. Delight in the wilderness at the Nanda Devi National Park
The park is home to the exotic species of flora and fauna of high-altitude areas and thus is a must-visit destination. Showcasing lush greenery, and spellbinding views coupled with rich biodiversity, exploring this national park outstands amongst the best Auli things to do.
Get customizable packages to Auli with IHPL. Contact today!
Why should visit Nanda Devi National park?
- Spot rare species of flora and fauna at such heights.
- Fulfill your trekking spree.
- Catch sight of Badrinath Temple, the Valley of Flowers, and the Hemkund Sahib Temple.
7. Trek up to the Kuari Pass
Decked with snow-capped mountains and alpine meadows, the Kuari Pass has been enticing backpackers and hikers for ages. Before taking you to the heights of Mount Nanda Devi, the pass gives you the desired break.
Starting from Joshimath, the Kuari Pass trek in December makes its way to small remote areas in the Himalayas. Then, it continues through bugyals, Auli, high passes, and finally ends at the Kuari top. Replete with unique experiences, the trek helps you curate lots of memories. In fact, it is one of the most popular treks in India.
Why try the trek to Kuari Pass?
- Acquaint yourself with the locals that you meet en route.
- Behold the sight of the impressive skyline with mighty mountains.
- Walk through the jungles of Deodar and Oak trees.
Also Read: Top 17 Places for Trekking in Uttarakhand
8. Visit the Kwani Bugyal
When it comes to beguiling visitors with pristine beauty, Kwani Bugyal leads the chart. Presenting a unique spectacle, the enchanting views of the imposing mountain add to the charisma.
The Bugyal is perched at a height of 3380 meters and because of this, it’s tagged as a trekkers’ heaven. Apart from the trekkers, the sight is really admired by nature lovers and seclusion seekers alike, which is why visiting here is among the best things to do in Auli during winters.
Why try Bugyal?
- If you are a newly wedded couple, then you must visit the bugyal to enjoy life amidst nature’s bounty.
- Observe how the meadow changes into a wonderland under the moonlight.
- Enjoy camping in Auli.
9. Make your way to Chenab Lake
Although people love popular places, visiting Chenab Lake is among the offbeat activities in Auli. Lying near the Dang village, the Chenab Lake allows you to revel in the undisturbed company of nature. Sometimes it is good to follow the off-beaten trails as they may lead to an unexplored marvel. Making efforts to reach Chenab Lake won’t disappoint you as the activity undoubtedly offers one of the unique experiences in Auli.
Why visit Chenab Lake in Auli?
- Allow yourself to think and try something out of the box.
- Discover a place that many are not aware of.
- Set up a camp and spend some ‘Me’ time.
10. Embark on a short yet romantic trek to Chattrakund
Honeymooners and trekkers find a desired respite at the Chattrakund. Entwined between lush green forests, the Chattrakund Lake comprises crystal clear waters with the immaculate reflection of the azure sky. The panoramic and picturesque views immediately catch the attention of all the shutterbugs. The serenity prevailing in the surroundings is a treat to the weary souls. Away from the hustle-bustle of city life, the lake is an ideal place for unwinding.
Why visit Chattrakund Lake?
- Get bewitched with the beauty of a fairytale place.
- Enjoy a short trekking experience.
- Also, you can extend your excursion to the Selghat Tapovan to take a dip in hot water springs.
11. Take a trek to Trishul Peak
One of the best things to do in Auli is to take a trek to Trishul Peak. It is one of the major peaks in the entire Himalayan Range and this trek is mostly taken by avid trekkers. If you look at the peak from a distance, you will be amused with how it looks as the entire view is simply breathtaking.
Many adventurers come here on a solo trip whereas a lot of them take a group trip to this amazing destination. Trekking to Trishul Peak does not fall in the easy grade and experienced trekkers feel breathless too.
Trekking to Trishul Peak is something that you would also love to do, you have a guide and a medical record that says you are fit for it. All of the natural beauty and heart-throbbing trek and many more things make trekking to Trishul Peak one of the adventurous things to do in Auli.
Why visit Trishul Peak?
- For natural beauty
- To enjoy the snow activities
- Take the trek to the summit
How to Reach Auli?
- By Air: To reach Auli by air, land at the Dehradun Airport which is 180.6 km away. From there you can hit the road to Joshimath.
- By Train: Dehradun Railway Station is the nearest one to Auli. It lies at a distance of 150.7 km.
- By Road: If traveling by road, one of the best ways is to catch a bus to Joshimath. From there you can take a taxi, bus or simply choose to ride on one of Asia’s longest ropeway. It is also possible to travel from cities like Rishikesh, Haridwar, and Delhi to Auli by road. To know more about how to reach Auli Click Here!
Auli opens doors to memorable experiences in winter treasured while partaking in lots of things to do. Although the best time to visit Auli remains throughout the year the months between October and March are surprising. There is no dearth of things to do in Auli, which can make your trip memorable. You can add these experiences to the Auli tour package and book a customized trip with us! Contact our travel experts for more information and customize the trip according to your requirements!
[Find some of the best Auli tour packages]