Christmas in Goa(Last Updated 27 Jan, 2023)
Christmas is a festival that is celebrated all over the global with a lot of enthusiasm and joy, cutting across the barriers of religion. But there is a special charm in the Christmas in Goa that sets it apart from celebrations of Christmas anywhere else in India. Being predominated mainly by the Christians, Goa, during this time comes alive in a kaleidoscope of colors and revelry.
Content of Table About Christmas in Goa
- When to Celebrate Christmas in Goa
- Reasons to spend Christmas in Goa
- Weather in Goa at Christmas
- How to celebrate Christmas in Goa?
- Places to enjoy Christmas in Goa
- How to reach Goa to celebrate Christmas?
During Christmas in Goa, all the streets are lit up and the market places are all decorated with tinsel and buntings. There are Christmas trees shining and glittering in every corner of the streets and inside the houses. All the houses and churches are brightly lit up and decorated. Celebrations start from Christmas Eve when the beautiful harmony and melody of the Christmas carols fill up the pleasant ambiance of Goa and brings the festive mood. The wonderful smell of baking cakes and the songs of the church bells fills up the air that is already vibrant and colorful with the celebrations of the Goa Christmas. There are the parties,morning masses,prayers,the music, shopping,dance and other festivities that all add up to the exotic fiesta that is in sync with the beat of the sea, the sun and Christmas.
Time for celebrating Christmas in Goa
Christmas is celebrated all over the globe on the 25th of December and the celebrations of Christmas in Goa start from the Christmas Eve till the festive spirit lingers on, even after Christmas.
5 Unique Experiences You Cannot Miss During Christmas in Goa
1. Enjoy Amazing Firework Show
During Christmas in Goa, all the streets are lit up and marketplaces are decorated with tinsel and buntings. Enjoy the colorful firework show all around. Some of the best places to enjoy the firework shows are Anjuna Beach, Arambol Beach, Calangute Beach, and Vagator Beach. The regions of old Goa, dotted by several churches display exceptional fireworks and impart an irresistible appeal to the festive fervor.
2. Indulge in Christmas Eve Dance
Goa is much popular for its beach parties and nightlife but during Christmas celebrations, the atmosphere is different. One can feel energetic vibes and admire glinting decorations around. The celebrations are taken to a new level with Christmas Eve Dance. One can enjoy Christmas Eve dance parties at places like Vagator and Anjuna beaches.
3. Do not miss the Mass Missa De Galo
Experience the enchanting Christmas night and be a part of midnight mass. The bells of the Roman Catholic churches ring, children fire small bamboo cannons, brass bands beat, lively parade dresses, hymns and carols echo, and beautiful fireworks add more charm to the dynamic environment. To make your Christmas memorable, do not miss to join the Misa de Gallo, called Cock's Mass in English and Simbang Gabi in Tagalog. Join this midnight mass, pay a visit to Bom Jesus Church, Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, or Se Cathedral for prayers, and soak in the fascinating festive vibes and blessings.
4. Enjoy River Cruising on the Mandovi River
River cruise in Mandovi River is one of the unique experiences to enjoy during the Christmas season. Get on the river cruise and enjoy the beautifully adorned city from the deck or manage a private boat to enjoy a Christmas party with your friends. Enjoying while cruising on the waters during Christmas Eve is a unique experience.
5. Savor the Flavor of Christmas Eve with Homemade Chocolates
Christmas trees shine in every corner of the streets and inside the houses. All the houses and churches are brightly lit up and decorated. Church bells ring and add make the atmosphere symphonic. And what are Christmas festivities in Goa without eating homemade chocolates and cakes. The resistible aroma of cakes and delicious chocolates satiate your craving and add sweetness to Christmas celebration. Apart from chocolates and cakes, one can also relish mouth-watering cuisines served during Christmas.
Undoubtedly, Christmas celebrations in Goa not just make the atmosphere ooze with festive delight during the season but the festive spirit continues till New Year.
What is the weather like in Goa at Christmas?
The weather is pleasant with a slightly cooler breeze and a temperature ranging around 27 degrees Celsius. It is perfect to enjoy Christmas events and parties at various pubs, bars, beach shacks, clubs, and more.
How is Christmas celebrated in Goa?
- Christmas is one of the most eminent festivals celebrated with a lot of enthusiasm in Goa. Being a part of this festival will make your Christmas the most cherished one of your life. Let’s see how people celebrate Christmas in Goa.
- People begin the festival by exchanging gifts and offering prayers
- They decorate their house with bobbles, tinsel, colorful papers, buntings, etc., and a Christmas tree with candies, sparkling stars, socks, cotton flakes, etc.
- Churches are embellished as well.
- Clay statues and artifacts are made using millet grass, hay, and boxboard. The statues are an important part of Christmas as it implicates the birth of Jesus in the stable of Bethlehem.
- A village group with children dressed up as Santa goes for Christmas serenading to raise funds. These funds are used to feed the poor and orphans.
- Live cribs sing Christmas carols
- Christmas week is filled with events all around Goa.
- Cribs are made and popular traditional sweets called Neureos (made of dry fruits and coconut), Dodol (made of coconut and cashew), Aranhas (made of coconut and sugar) are distributed.
- Crazy parties with loud music are a big part of Christmas celebrations. People dress up in the finest clothing and party in clubs, own houses, and pubs. On the 24th, people make cribs in their homes and in a common area of that place.
- Dancing, fireworks, and the pealing of church bells are a sight to behold. All the churches in Goa organize the midnight mass to commemorate the birth of Jesus midnight. It draws huge crowds and carols are sung.
- Christmas festivities go beyond 10 days. On New Year’s eve, children sit with an image of an old man and collect funds from passers-by. Then they burn the image which symbolizes putting the past behind and welcomes the new year.
- Christmas in Goa ends officially on January 6 with the Feast of the Magi or the three kings who came to pay homage to infant Jesus.
- There are 3 church services in Goa that are symbolic of the procession of these kings at Chandor, Cuelim - Cansaulim, and Reis Magos.
Is Goa expensive in December?
Yes, Goa is expensive in December. It is the peak season in Goa and all the prices are high. All the services including flights, accommodation, activities, and food lead to a hike due to Christmas and New Year celebrations.
Which are the best places to enjoy Christmas in Goa?
Beach shacks like Curlies, Coco Loco Club, Thalassa, night clubs like Silent Noise, SinQ, Tito’s, pubs and bars like Cafe Mojo, Soro, Cavala, and casinos like Deltin Royale, Casino Pride, Casino Strike are best to enjoy Christmas in Goa. You can also go to a cruise party for Christmas celebrations.
How to reach Goa
Dabolim Airport is the nearest international airport to Goa. It is the main airport situated at a distance of 28 km (approx.) from Panaji. This airport is well connected with other major cities of India. Dabolim airport also serves domestic as well as international flights in cities like the United Kingdom and Germany.
There are regular trains operating from major Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, and more. Madgaon and Vasco da Gama are the main railway stations in Goa. Goa Sampark Kranti Express and Trivandrum Express are the most notable trains. Once reached, you can hire taxis from outside the railway stations.
Kadamba is the nearest and the main bus station in Panaji. There are several private and state-run buses that run between major Indian cities and Goa. They provide a smooth ride scenic view. You can also plan a road trip from neighboring cities to Goa.
Popular Goa Tour Packages
All events & festivals in Goa
* required field