Located in the capital of Nagaland, Kohima War Cemetery is a famous tourist attraction in Kohima. It was built to commemorate the soldiers that died in World War II. The War Cemetery is situated at the Garrison Hills, so you can reach it by trekking. On your visit, you must know more about what happened back then and how this cemetery, which is such a known place now, came to existence.
Keep reading to know about the Kohima history, best time, how to reach, and places to stay.
Kohima War Cemetery History
Built back in April 1944, Kohima War Cemetery marked the death of the soldiers of the 2nd British Division of the Allied Forces who gave their lives in the Second World War at Kohima. Also, these soldiers took their last breath in the tennis court of deputy commissioners’ residence on the Garrison hill battleground.
According to the CWGC report, this cemetery has 1420 commonwealth burial of soldiers of WWII. The remaining 917 Hindus and Sikhs were cremated according to their social rights. And this memorial was inaugurated by the commander of the 14th army (Burma) Field Marshal Sir William Slim.
- Type of Destination: Historical
- Timings of Kohima War Cemetery: Open from 9 am to 4 pm
- Duration: 1 to 2 hours are enough to pay respects to the soldiers at the Kohima War Cemetery.
Best time to visit
The months from October to May are the best time to visit Kohima. The weather is pleasant and allows you to comfortably trek to the Kohima War Cemetery.
How to Reach Kohima War Cemetery
By Flight - Reach the Dimapur Airport. From there, you can get a taxi to Kohima War Cemetery.
- Distance from Dimapur Airport to Kohima War Cemetery: 63 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2 hours (approx.)
By Train - You can take a cab from Dimapur railway station to reach Kohima War Cemetery. Any jeep or shared vehicle can also be hired to reach the trekking point.
- Distance from Dimapur railway station to Kohima War Cemetery: 68 km (approx.)
- Travel Time: 2.5 hours (approx.)
Places to Visit near Kohima War Cemetery
After you complete the Kohima War Cemetery tour, check out the places to visit nearby -
Naga Heritage Village: It is an open-air museum and exhibits the traditional Naga houses. Naga Heritage Village also celebrates the biggest festival in Nagaland, the Hornbill Festival.
Places to Stay near Kohima War Cemetery
Here are some hotels near Kohima War Cemetery where you will find comfortable stays are -
- Niraamaya Retreats Aradura Kohima (3.4 m away)
- Hotel Japfu (2.1 km away)
- Hotel Ariel (2.0 km away)
Tips for visiting Kohima War Cemetery
- As the cemetery is located in a forest area, it is advisable to follow a particular route or else chances of getting lost are higher.
- We highly recommend you to take any local guide along with you who knows places thoroughly.