Mumbai's famous Marine Drive is a monument in and of itself and requires no introduction. Being the symbol of Mumbai and Bollywood, it has become a must-see location for anyone visiting the city. From Nariman Point to Girgaon Chowpatty, the 3.5-kilometer-long, curved or C-shaped boulevard with six lanes stretches along the city's southern coast.
What was once a quiet coastal promenade in the 20th century has become the city's most bustling part. Marine Drive is also called " Queen's Necklace' as the bird's-eye view of the curved boulevard at night resembles a necklace due to the yellow lights lined along the curve.
Marine Drive history
The construction of the Marine Drive was one of the multiple parts of the Back Bay Reclamation Scheme of the British Government. The main plan was to dredge the body of water and dump boulders into it to obtain more land for the city's westward expansion. Marine Drive's beginnings can be traced back to 1915, when work on Girgaum Chowpatty, formerly Kennedy Sea Face, was begun. The area's numerous Art Deco structures were built between 1930 and 1940 when the stretch covered five kilometers.
Things to do at Marine Drive Mumbai
- Art Deco Buildings
- Experience Art and Culture at NCPA
- Chowpatty Beach and Street Food
- Hanging Gardens
- Taraporewala Aquarium
Marine Drive in Mumbai: Facts and Trivia
- Marine Drive's full name is "Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Marg.
- The largest viewing gallery in the world, according to Marine Drive
- A portion of the abandoned Backbay reclamation project was Marine Drive.
- The art deco structures on Marine Drive, as well as those in Churchgate and Fort, have been designated as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Locals refer to Marine Drive by its original name, Sonapur.
- Due to the Bombay rent control act, rents are far lower than the sky-high prices of houses in this area and can be as little as INR 300 per month.
Marine Drive Mumbai Timings and Entry Fee
The promenade is open all day because Marine Drive is a public area. Hence, there are no restrictions on visitation hours. However, it is preferable to visit Marine Drive around sunset, when one can sit for hours.
There is no entrance fee because the venue is public and available to the public.
How to reach Marine Drive Mumbai
Mumbai's main attraction, Marine Drive, is easily accessible via all kinds of transportation from any location inside the city. Travel options include buses, regional railways, and taxis. Visitors can also use cabs (such as Ola, Uber, etc.) to get here. You may get a private taxi from one of Mumbai's top vehicle rental providers for a comfortable ride throughout your Mumbai tour.
Best time to visit Marine Drive Mumbai
Marine Drive is best visited in the morning from 5 to 8 am. As the sun rises, you will experience a new sea. Wear athletic clothing to fit in with the fitness fanatic community. When the majority of guests have left so that you may breathe.
Attractions near Marine Drive
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
- Bhikha Behram Well
- Churchgate Railway Station
- Wankhede Stadium
- Gateway of India
If you are planning to visit Marine Drive, then you must check out our Mumbai tour packages.