Vembanad Lake, also known as Vembanad Kayal, is the largest lake in Kerala and one of Asia's largest freshwater lakes. Sprawling over an area of 200 sq km, the lake lies at sea level, separated from the Arabian Sea by a narrow barrier island. The lake surrounds the islands of Pathiramanal, Perumbalam and Pallippuram and is a popular backwater stretch in Kerala. Come on a Vembanad Lake Tour, and you will have a memorable experience exploring this tranquil lake.
Tourist Attractions in Vembanad Lake
Following are some of the famous tourist attractions of Vembanad Lake, which you can explore while on a Vembanad Lake Tour-
- Backwater Cruise: A boat ride on the Vembanad Lake is the main attraction of the lake. It offers a close look at the life in the villages - the fishermen in their small boats in search of fish and the famed Chinese fishing nets.
- Vallam Kali: This is a major attraction of Vembanad Lake. This is a Snake Boat Race, extremely popular in the region, held every year in the month of August.
- Pathiramanal: A beautiful little island on the Vembanad Lake, Pathiramanal can be reached only by boat. This place is set to be developed as a prime tourist spot.
How to reach Vembanad Lake
You can come on a Vembanad Lake Tour, using the following means of transport -
- By air: The nearest airport is the Cochin International Airport, situated 16 km away.
- By rail: The closest railhead is the Ernakulam Railway Junction in Kochi.
- By road: You can avail of a bus, cab or auto-rickshaw to reach Vembanad Lake by road from Kochi.