Weekend Trip to Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary, Maharashtra
Summer 23 to 37°C
Winter 15 to 30°C
Distance / Traveling Time
From Mumbai: 456 kilometers / 7 h ,30 m
From Pune: 282 kilometers / 4 h ,36 m
Best Time To Visit
Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary, now known as Radhanagari Wildlife Sanctuary, was declared as 1st wildlife sanctuary in Maharashtra in 1958. The sanctuary was also popular as “Bison Sanctuary”. The latest surveys recorded about 425 species of plants, 47 species of Mammals, 264 species of birds, 59 species of reptiles, and 66 species of butterflies in the sanctuary. The main attraction of the sanctuary is Indian Bison or gaur (Bos gaurus). According to the 2004 survey, the population was around 610. Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary is a great getaway from Mumbai and Pune for wildlife enthusiasts.
How to Reach Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary
C Shahumharaj T is the closest railway station that is connected with Mumbai through frequent trains running on the extensive railway network. At the railway station, one can find taxis and cabs to reach the sanctuary.
Kolhapur Airport is the nearest airport to reach Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary from Mumbai by air. At the airport, there are local modes of transportation available to reach the sanctuary conveniently.
If traveling by road, AH 47/NH 4 serves as a proper connectivity between Mumbai and Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary. Apart from self-driven vehicle, one can avail cabs and taxis for hire in Mumbai.
The closest railway station to Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary is C Shahumharaj T. The extensive rail network provides connectivity from Pune. At the railway station, there is local taxi and auto-rickshaw available to help in easy commuting in and around.
The nearest airport to Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary is Kolhapur Airport which has flight connectivity from Pune. Further, to reach the sanctuary, there is local mode of transportation is available.
Visiting Dajipur Wildlife Sanctuary by road from Pune is one of the simplest ways. AH 47/NH 4 provides direct connectivity for self-owned vehicle to drive. In addition to this, one can avail private taxis and cabs for hire in Pune. There also are local buses functional on the route.
- Area: 351.16 sq km
- Geographical Coordinates: Latitude 16°23.09′0″N and Longitude 73°57.32′0″E
- Temperature: Summer 23°C to 37°C, Winter 15°C to 30°C
- Flora: Anjani, Hirda, Pisa, Kinjal, Kumbha, Chandala, Nana, Jambha, Bibba, Karvi, Garambi, Vagati, Tamalpati, Kadipatta, Bamboo, Jambul, Awala, Ain, Amba, Bhoma, Katak, Umbar, Gela, Banana, Shikekai, Karvand, Ranmiri, Dhayati, Murudsheng, etc.
- Mammals: Indian Bison, Sloth Bear, Barking Deer, Sambar, Wild Dogs, Indian Leopard, Wild Boar, Mouse Deer, Giant Squirrel, etc.
- Birds: Nilgiri Wood-Pigeon, Eagles, Quails, Sandpipers, Doves, Nightjars, Bee-Eater, Woodpeckers, Flycatchers, Wagtails, Ceylon Frogmouth, Dusky Eagle-Owl, Owlets, Owls, Kingfishers, Hornbills, Bulbul, Warblers, Sunbirds, Yellow-Browed Bulbul, Great Pied Hornbill, Speckled Piculet, Indian Blue Robin, etc.
- Reptile & Amphibians: Malabar Pit Viper, Deccan Ground Gecko, Beddome's Lacerta, Humayun's Wrinkled Frog, Gunther's Cat Skink, Bombay Bush Frog, etc.
- Best Time To Visit: October to March
- Opening Hours: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM