Famous tourist places to visit in Andhra Pradesh which are a must include on your bucket list
Bountiful of natural resources, rivers, temples coupled with rich cultural heritage lend a unique vibe to Andhra Pradesh. Besides this, there are innumerable places to visit in Andhra Pradesh which are truly alluring and distinctive. The town houses tourist attractions with divine aura, rich historical legacy, spellbinding culture and what not! Then, come the destinations which offer scrumptious food, house amicable people and enjoy worldwide repute. Above all, the longest coastline in the country adds to the unrivaled allure of the state.
Owing to the opportunity to delight in amazing charms, an excursion to tourist places in Andhra Pradesh is beyond description. Browse through the list given below and enjoy a memorable trip to India’s awe-inspiring state.
Home to the popular Tirumala Venkateswara Swamy Temple, Tirupati is a highly revered pilgrimage site in India. Because of evoking the spiritual feelings, the city is reckoned as one the best places to visit in Andhra Pradesh. Moreover, a plethora of heritage sites, ancient monuments and temples keep the visitors amused.
Attractions in Tirupati
- Chandragiri Fort stands as a testimony of the various masters who ruled the city.
- Silathoranam is famous as a natural rock formation and thus grabs the attention of many.
- Fabled to be owned by Lord Vishnu, Swami Pushkarini Lake is extremely holy.
- The waterfall, Akasaganga Teertham enjoys immense religious significance.
How to reach Tirupati?
By Air: Tirupati Airport (15 km)
By Train: Tirupati Railway Station (0 km)
By Bus: Tirupati Bus Stand (1 km)
Best time to visit Tirupati:
September to March
Luring culture and history enthusiasts, Lepakshi is a small and quaint town. The town is a home to fascinating archeological sites and thus stands out amongst the rest of Andhra tourist places. Moreover, the town also features a treasure trove of rich culture and splendid historic temples. Flaunting the Vijayanagara style of architecture, every structure exudes its own charm.
Attractions in Lepakshi
- Carved out of a granite stone, a huge statue of Monolithic Nandi casts a spell on the onlookers.
- Next, on the list is the Veerabhadra Temple which is popular for its architectural beauty and sculptures.
- Another well-known attraction is the Lepakshi Temple with miraculous hanging pillars.
- Furthermore, shopping is one of the must things to do in Lepakshi which keeps you on toes.
How to reach Lepakshi?
By Air: Kempegowda International Airport (68 km)
By Train: Hindupur railway station (12 km)
By Bus: Hindupur Bus Stand (13.4 km)
Best time to visit Lepakshi:
October to February
Well-known because of the hilltop Kanak Durga Temple which overlooks the city, Vijayawada has appealed to various kingdoms. Even the Chinese pilgrim Hieun Tsang can’t resist himself falling for the ethereal allure of the destination and decided to stay here. For this reason also, the city enjoys mention as one of the must-visit places in Andhra Pradesh.
Attractions in Vijayawada
- Showcasing a monolithic example of Indian rock-cut architecture, the Undavalli Caves are a haven for history buffs.
- An architectural wonder, the Kondapalli Fort enjoys popularity also because of offering breathtaking views of the valley.
- Mogalarajapuram Caves are another attractions in the city and hold religious values.
- Mesmerizing views of the River Krishna from the Prakasam Barrage standing on whopping 160 pillars present a unique spectacle.
- Above all, Bhavani Island is the most sought-after destinations for spending a relaxing weekend.
How to reach Vijayawada?
By Air: Vijayawada Airport (15.5 km)
By Train: Vijayawada Junction (5.2 km)
By Bus: Vijayawada Bus Stand (4.4 km)
Best time to visit Vijayawada:
October to March
Love to spend your family vacations in India amidst inviting beaches, serene landscapes together with man-made wonders? If yes, then Visakhapatnam is the place for you. In addition to these, Vizag is also thronged with tourists because of its rich cultural past and oldest shipyard in India. A myriad of natural spectacles also makes the ‘Jewel of the East Coast’ distinctive from rest of the cities in Andhra Pradesh.
Attractions in Visakhapatnam
- Kailasa Giri is a pristine hill station which facilitates striking views of the sea.
- Submarine Museum is the only one in entire Asia that exhibits pictures, artefacts and articles depicting the chivalry of the glorious past.
- Although offbeat, yet fascinating, the Araku Valley is bestowed with immense natural beauty.
- Gazing at the calm blue of waters of the Rishikonda Beach is surely one of the best things to do in Andhra Pradesh.
- Perched at a height of about 705 meters, the Borra Caves are considered as one of the largest in India.
How to reach Visakhapatnam?
By Air: Visakhapatnam International Airport (8.8 km)
By Train: Visakhapatnam Railway Station (13.9 km)
By Bus: Visakhapatnam Bus Stand (30.2 km)
Best time to visit Visakhapatnam:
October to March
Serving as a pilgrimage center to both Hindus as well as Buddhists, Amaravati is also popular as the ‘Abode of God’. On the one hand, holy sites like a huge Buddhist stupa and a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva draw ardent devotees. While, on the other hand, the city also remains on the bucket list of history enthusiasts because of its delightful architectures.
Attractions in Amaravati
- A Buddha Statue is also a notable structure in the town.
- Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the Amareswara Temple is definitely worth visiting.
- Housing exhibits that range between 3rd century BC and 12th century AD, Amravati Museum grabs the attention immediately.
How to reach Amaravati?
By Air: Vijayawada Airport (47 km)
By Train: Vijayawada Railway Station (32 km)
By Bus: Guntur Bus Stand (32.1km)
Best time to visit Amaravati:
October to March
Gateway to the eminent Hindu pilgrimage Sri Sailam, Kurnool is a treasure trove of ancient monuments. Fabled to be 2000 years old, the city offers various opportunities to walk down the historic lanes and relive the bygone eras. Moreover, the age-old fort ruins and caves which date back pretty far in the history, cast a spell. Furthermore, this one of the top tourist places near Hyderabad allows the shutterbugs and nature lovers to cherish the desired bliss here.
Attractions in Kurnool
- Taking its visitors close to nature, the Rollapadu Wildlife Sanctuary proffers a sojourn into the wild.
- With several pathways adorned with intricate patterns of water streams, Belum Caves are sure to awestruck you.
- The Sri Yagantiswamy Temple in Yaganti offers glimpses of the traditions and rich culture. For this reason, visitors love to explore the place.
- Owing to igneous rock formations, the Oravakallu Rock Garden appears truly fascinating.
- Presenting a stark contrast to the azure sky, there stands a majestic white Buddha Statue.
How to reach Kurnool?
By Air: Hyderabad Airport (180 km)
By Train: Kurnool Railway Station (850 m)
By Bus: Kurnool Bus Stand (1.3 km)
Best time to visit Kurnool:
October to February
One of the most fascinating tourist places in South India, Chittoor should definitely be added to your bucket list. Besides boasting of some of the richest temples in the world, the spellbinding district flaunts rivers, temples, hills, forts and exotic flora and fauna. Moreover, a perfect mélange of devotion, religion and architecture can entice any seclusion seeker.
Attractions in Chittoor
- Kailasakonda Waterfalls are truly beautiful and have an interesting story associated with them.
- Known as ‘Andhra’s Ooty’, the Horsley Hills receive huge footfall due to its rich biodiversity, stunning landscape, exclusivity, etc.
- Again, the Kanipakam Vinayaka Temple enjoys the fame because of an interesting folklore associated with it.
- Many ardent devotees of Lord Shiva pay homage at the Srikalahasti Temple to seek the blessings of the Almighty.
How to reach Chittoor?
By Air: Tirupati Airport (67 km)
By Train: Chittoor Railway Station (500 m)
By Bus: Chittoor Bus Stand (1.7 km)
Best time to visit Chittoor:
September to February
When it comes to India’s rich heritage and history, Anantapur leads in presenting it like no other. One of the best tourist places to visit in Andhra Pradesh, the city allows experiencing ethnic traditions of India. Another key point to note is that, the town steals the limelight for diamond mining as well. In addition to this, the six rivers meandering into the town make it a must-visit destination at least once.
Attractions in Anantapur
- Deriving its name from the word which means big hill, the Penukonda Fort is a major attraction in Anantapur.
- The Bugga Ramalingeswara Swami Temple is another temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Next, on the list is the Ahobilam Temple which is built on the footprint of Lord Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy.
- Equally important as the other ISKCON temples in the world, the one in Anantapuram is simply beautiful.
How to reach Anantapur?
By Air: Kempegowda International Airport (165 km)
By Train: Anantapuram Railway Station (2 km)
By Bus: Anantapuram Bus Stand (600 m)
Best time to visit Anantapur:
November to January
Nestled on the eastern banks of the Godavari River, Rajahmundry is one of the most visited places in Andhra Pradesh. In spite of having a rich historic past, the city has emerged as a well-known pilgrimage center. Moreover, the town oozes such a charisma that shooting of many Telugu movies is conducted here. When in Rajahmundry, don’t forget to delight in the boat cruise on the mighty river.
Attractions in Rajahmundry
- Rajahmundry Temples is home to several shrines and lures pilgrims for this reason.
- Maredumilli is a place where tribal people share space together with nature and wildlife.
- A recreation place in the town, the Goutami ghat is, in fact, famous for a number of other reasons as well.
- Godavari Bund is the second largest road cum Rail Bridge in India.
How to reach Rajahmundry?
By Air: Vijayawada Airport (119 km)
By Train: Rajahmundry Railway Station (4.0 km)
By Bus: Rajahmundry Bus Stand (1.8 km)
Best time to visit Rajahmundry:
October to March
Knowing about so many interesting places to visit surely urges one to plan a trip to Andhra Pradesh. In case, you are also planning for the same, wait no more and embark on a wonderful sojourn.