Kashmir is the state which is also referred as the ‘Paradise on Earth’, it is home to most of the striking tourist attractions like Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Srinagar and more. In order to reach this blissful place, one can take the means of rail, road and air. Here is complete information how to reach Kashmir by road, air and train services.
- Aerodome Airport in Srinagar.
Delhi to Kashmir
Srinagar Airport is the primary airport of Kashmir, which is situated 15 km from the city. Delhi is well-connected with Srinagar by flight. Several airlines including Air India, GoAir, IndiGo, Air Asia, Spice Jet, and Vistara operate regular flights for Srinagar from Delhi.
The nearest major railhead is Jammu Tawi railway station, located at 268 km from Srinagar. Several trains connected Jammu from the national capital. The most popular trains are SVDK Vande Bharat Express, Rajdhani Express, Duronto Express, Shri Shakti Express, Jhelum Express, and Uttar S Kranti Express.
From Jammu Tawi railway station, tourists can hire a taxi or board a government-run or private bus to Srinagar.
The shortest distance (by Road) between Kashmir and Delhi is 425.94 mi (685.5 km).
Route: Delhi – Murthal – Karnal – Ambala – Ludhiana – Jalandhar – Pathankot – Jammu – Udhampur – Patnitop – Banihal – Anantnag - Srinagar.
Srinagar is situated at almost 810 km from Delhi and is well connected by road network. National Highway 44 connects Srinagar to the national capital. Tourists can also board a bus or hire a taxi from Delhi.
Tourists can also board a bus for Jammu and take a night halt. Then board a private or government bus for the onward journey. The Jawahar Tunnel connects Jammu from the valley and offers breathtaking views.
A number of Jammu &Kashmir State Road Transport Corporation (JKSRTC) buses, as well as deluxe and semi-deluxe private buses, ply regularly from Delhi.
Tourists can self-drive from Delhi via Ambala, Ludhiana Jalandhar, Jammu, and Udhampur. It will take almost 18 hours to reach Srinagar from Delhi. It is highly recommendable to take a night halt at Jammu.
- NH 44 connects Delhi and Srinagar. The road conditions are extremely good to Jammu.
- From Udhampur the hilly road starts and the patch till Chenani Nashri Tunnel is rough and tourists can experience a bumpy ride.
- Most of the route from Ramban to Verinag is narrow. This is a rough patch and speed will be decreased due to bad road conditions.
- From Qazigund to Srinagar the roads are in excellent condition and the scenic beauty adds charm to the road trip.
En route Experiences
- Karna Lake, Karnal
- Brahma Sarovar, Kurukshetra
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh War Museum, Ludhiana
- Devi Talab Mandir, Jalandhar
- Raghunath Temple, Jammu
- Bahu Fort, Jammu
- Amar Mahal Palace Museum, Jammu
- Sanasar Lake, Udhampur
- Natha Top, Patnitop
- Tattapani, Ramban
- Sinthan Top
- Martand Sun Temple, Anantnag
Places to Eat
- Amrik Sukhdev Dhaba, Murthal
- Gulshan Dhaba, Murthal
- Neelkanth Star, Karnal
- Haveli, Ambala
- Eagle Motel, Rajpura
- Haveli, Jalandhar
- Pahalwan’s, Jammu
- Khana Khazaana, Jammu
- Taj Sweets, Kud
- Sharma Rajma Rice Hut, Batote
- Gulshan Restaurant, Ramban
- Rahat Restaurant, Qazigund