If you are looking for fun, adventure, and adrenaline-pumping river rafting in Rishikesh, Rishikesh is the place for you! Other than being an important place for pilgrims attracts a massive number of adventure seekers from all over the world.
Whether you are a family, a couple, a group of friends, or a solo traveler, river rafting in Rishikesh can be enjoyed by all age groups. There are many authorized river rafting instructors and experts in Rishikesh that make rafting adventures safe, enjoyable, and memorable.
For the best rafting experience, you can opt for camping in Rishikesh. There are many camps in Rishikesh set up on the riverside that organize rafting expeditions for their guests. And do not worry if you are a beginner or a non-swimmer as you will be provided with necessary rafting equipment that ensures your safety throughout the rafting. Also, the instructors are always there to help.
Everything You Must Know Before Heading for River Rafting in Rishikesh
Popular River Rafting Points in Rishikesh with Distance
There are multiple spots from where you can start your river rafting expedition in Rishikesh. They can be chosen as per their grade level, distance, and duration during river rafting in Rishikesh. If you are an adventure lover, you can choose the grade level as per your preference and expertise.
1. From Brahmapuri to Ram Jhula
|Duration||1 - 2 hours|
|River Rapid Category||Grade I-II|
|Cost||INR 600 per person (approx.)|
|Best Time||Mid September/August to June|
This is the shortest and easiest river rafting in Rishikesh that starts from Brahmpuri and terminates at Ram Jhula. If you are a beginner, choose this river rafting point. Whether you are with family, a group of friends, or are a solo traveler, it is the best choice for you if you are a non-swimmer or a beginner. Kids and elderly people can enjoy this rafting route from Brahmpuri to Rishikesh.
2. From Shivpuri to Rishikesh
|Duration||2 - 3 hours|
|River Rapid Category||Grade II-III|
|Cost||INR 1000 per person (approx.)|
|Best Time||October to June|
River rafting from Shivpuri to Rishikesh begins in mid-October and ends in the month of June. This route covers some of the most exciting rapids that will give you the ultimate adrenaline rush. It is not so costly and can be enjoyed by adventure enthusiasts on a budget. The best part is that there are many beach camps in Shivpuri that also provide river rafting activity in Rishikesh as a part of their camping packages.
3. From Marine Drive to Rishikesh
|Duration||3 - 4 hours|
|River Rapid Category||Grade II-III|
|Cost||INR 1500 per person (approx.)|
|Best Time||October to May|
Starting from Marine Drive and ending at Lakshman Jhula, Marine Drive to Lakshman Jhula is one of the best point for river rafting in Rishikesh. If you are planning an outing with your colleagues, book Rishikesh adventure tours and enjoy river rafting with them. You can also enjoy cliff jumping during this rafting journey and enjoy some rapids like The Wall, Golf Course, Clubhouse, Double Trouble, and Initiation.
4. From Kaudiyala to Rishikesh
|Duration||4 -5 hours|
|River Rapid Category||Grade III-IV|
|Cost||INR 2500 per person (approx.)|
|Best Time||Mid October to Mid May|
With a distance of 35 km and a duration of 4 to 5 hours, Kaudiyala to Rishikesh is the most challenging river rafting route in Rishikesh. There are a total of 13 rapids in this route that are of Grade III and IV and will surely put your strength and stamina to the test. The waves are quite high and irregular, and thus, this route is only meant for expert and well-trained rafters.
Why should you go river rafting in Rishikesh?
If you are an adventure seeker and want to experience river rafting, then Rishikesh is one of the best places for river rafting in India. This adventure activity will provide you with the ultimate adrenaline rush you are looking for. Here are some reasons why you should go river rafting in Rishikesh -
- River rafting is an activity performed by a group of people. Thus, it teaches you team spirit. You will learn how to manage with a group of people working towards the same goal.
- You can meet like-minded people and build long-lasting relationships with them.
- It gives you time away from the bustling city life and helps you get closer to nature.
- You can witness picturesque views and experience terrific adventures.
- If you are afraid of water (many people are, you are not alone), you can overcome your fears. It will be a great mental booster.
Best time for River Rafting in Rishikesh
The Rishikesh rafting season begins in September and remains till June. The weather is pleasant, the flow of the River Ganges is also great, and thus, you can have the best rafting experience. The best time for white water rafting in Rishikesh is between November to March.
River Rafting in Rishikesh Tips
Rafting is an adventurous activity and you must take necessary safety precautions to keep yourself safe. While rafting in Rishikesh, here are some do’s and don’ts you must keep in mind to enjoy rafting safely -
- Wear light and quick-drying clothes. Carry a change of clothes that will be required after the sport.
- Wear a life jacket while going rafting in Rishikesh and make sure to check if you are buckled properly.
- The helmet is mandatory along with other safety equipment.
- Wear a comfortable pair of shoes. No slippers or flip-flops.
- Follow the instructions as given by your instructor.
- During the expedition, if your teammate requires help to get back into the raft, pull them. It’s okay if you don’t know them, you are in a team.
- Paddle with the team, keep calm and do not panic.
- During the rafting, do not stand up. You can get disbalances and fall in the water by face.
- Do not drink and go rafting. It will be harmful to you and your team members.
- Cotton clothes in summers while rafting in Rishikesh are a big no! During winters, wetsuits can keep you dry.
- If you see any tree branches in the river, simply avoid them, and take on a different path.
- Do not go for river rafting if you are pregnant, asthmatic, or a heart patient.
- If you have any injuries, bone fractures, or medical complications, avoid Rishikesh river rafting.
Things to pack for River Rafting in Rishikesh
- Swimming goggles to protect your eyes.
- Sunscreen lotion to avoid sunburn.
- Antiseptic cream.
- Bathing suits or shorts, and t-shirts.
- Towel and quick-drying garments.
- Ziplock bag to keep wet clothes and electronic devices.
- Warm clothes for winters.
- Energy drinks/bars.
- Waterproof camera/bag.
- Mosquito repellant to avoid infections.
FAQs for River Rafting in Rishikesh
Ans. The rafting in Rishikesh price starts from INR 600 per person and can go up to INR 2500, depending upon the river rafting points you choose.
Ans. The best months to go for river rafting in Rishikesh are from September to June. The weather is favorable for river rafting and gives you the best experience. Also, with temperatures rising up to 35°C, June is the hottest month in Rishikesh.
Ans. Yes. You can enjoy rafting in Rishikesh in December. Try to plan your trip in mid-December when the temperature ranges from 10°C to 15°C, making the atmosphere perfect for rafting.
Ans. Rishikesh from Shivpuri is approx. 18 km away and can be easily covered by road.
Ans. Yes. You can indulge in rafting in Rishikesh even if you do not know how to swim. Proper rafting equipment like a life jacket, helmet, etc. is provided to ensure your safety and security.
Ans. River rafting can be enjoyed by people of all ages except minors. The person should be above 12 years of age with a minimum weight of 30 kg to a maximum of 100 kg. Also, they should not have any previous record of heart-related issues, blood pressure, or any medical condition.
Ans. No, river rafting is closed in Rishikesh in the monsoon. Due to heavy rainfall, the water level of the River Ganges increases and is not ideal for rafting.