Rajaji National Park, sprawled over an area of 820 sq km, is situated near the foothills of the Himalayas. The national park includes areas of three districts of Uttaranchal namely Dehradun, Pauri Garhwal and Haridwar. Additionally, there are also three national sanctuaries together, namely Rajaji, Chilla and Motichur sanctuaries. The national park has been named after a prominent leader of the Freedom Struggle, C. Rajagopalachari (Rajaji). He was also acclaimed as the second and last Governor-General of independent India. In 1954, he also received India's highest civilian award Bharat Ratna.
How to Reach Rajaji National Park from Delhi
Rishikesh, located at a distance of 18 km is the nearest railway station to reach the national park. In addition to this, Haridwar (24 km) and Dehradun (56 km) are the other two nearest railheads.
Jolly Grant (Dehradun) is the nearest airport to reach Rajaji National Park. The airport is located at a distance of 35km. There are taxis and cabs available on hire.
The road stretch from Delhi is of about 223 km. There are buses, cabs and private taxis available to reach the national park.
Attractions in Rajaji National Park
Chandi Devi Temple
The ancient temple, built in 1929 by Suchat Singh (King of Kashmir), is a must visit. The temple is beautifully located on Neel Parvat near, a hillock.
Safari is the best way to explore the best of the national park. One can either enjoy the safari by nature walk or by vehicle.
The national park is a paradise for birdwatchers. There are myriads of native and migratory birds.
- Area: 820 sq km
- Altitude: 302 m to 1000 m
- Geographical Coordinates: 78°10′22″E Longitude and 30°03′29″N Latitude
- Temperature: Summer 32°C to 45°C; Winter 20°C to 25°C
- Flora: Rohini, Shisham, Palash, Khair, Semul, Chamaror, Kachnar, Chilla, Amaltas, Sal, Arjun, Baans, Sandan, Aonla, Ber, Bel, etc.
- Mammals: Cheetal, Sambar Deer, Nilgai, Asian Elephants, Barking Deer, Wild Boar, Goral, etc.
- Birds: Babbler, Chestnut-Tailed Starling, Drongo Cuckoo, Oriental Pied Hornbill, Lineted Barbet, Black Hooded Oriole, Woodpeckers, Crimson Sunbird, Thrushes, Rusty Cheeked Scimitar, Golden-Spectacled Warbler, Brown Hawk-Owl, Slaty Headed Parakeets, Red Jungle Fowl, Crested Kingfishers, Khaleej Pheasant, Finches, etc.
- Reptile: Pythons, Common Krait, Monitor Lizard, King Cobra, Indian Cobra, etc.
- Pisces: Goonch, Kalabasu, Trout, Chilwa, Mahaseer, etc.
- Opening Hours: 6:00 am to 9:00 am; 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm