Established in 1983, Thattekad Bird Sanctuary is popularly known as Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary. The bird sanctuary is a paradise for ornithologists and nature lovers. There are about 500 types of rare birds that find shelter here. The species include both native and migratory birds. Additionally, the sanctuary is also a treat for wildlife photographers as they get some of the amazing sights to capture. While excursion in the park, one can also hire a guide to get the best know-how about varied birds and the sanctuary. Thus, from Bangalore, Thattekad Bird Sanctuary is a great getaway for people who want to experience the best of nature.
How to Reach Thattekad Bird Sanctuary from Bangalore
Aluva is the nearest railway station that connects with Bangalore through an extensive railway network. At the railway station, the local transportation system helps in easily moving in and around the city.
Cochin is the nearest airport to reach Thattekad Bird Sanctuary from Bangalore. At the airport, there are cabs and taxis available for hire to drive the visitors to the bird sanctuary from the airport.
Thattekad Bird Sanctuary is well-connected to Bangalore through road. The stretch is 554 km long. Apart from self-owned vehicle, one can also reach the bird sanctuary through private taxis and cabs available in Bangalore for hire.
Attractions in Thattekad Bird Sanctuary
Athirapally Falls is one of the remarkable attractions close to the bird sanctuary. The waterfalls crash down from a height of 80 feet. The scenic beauty of the waterfalls wins the heart of the visitors.
Thriprayar Sri Rama Temple
Thriprayar Sri Rama Temple is a beautiful attraction located in the vicinity of the bird sanctuary. There are four idols, one of Lord Rama and three of his brothers. The Sreekovil (Sanctum Sanctorum) is circular, large and painted with beautiful old murals. The temple is one of the amazing architectural marvels to visit.
- Area: 2,516 hectare
- Altitude: 35 m to 523 m
- Geographical Coordinates: Latitude 10°34′N; Longitude 76°43′E
- Temperature: Summer 20°C to 32°C, Winter 18°C to 31°C
- Flora: Thick Deciduous Forest, Rosewood and Teak.
- Birds: Indian Pitta, Orange-Headed Thrush, Indian Cuckoo, Whiskered Terns, Ceylon Frogmouth, Yellow-Browed Bulbuls, Large Hawk Cuckoo, Brown-Cheeked Fulvetta, Emerald Green Pigeons, Drongo Cuckoo, White-Rumped Needletails, Collared Scops Owl, Indian Hawk Cuckoo, Oriental Darter, Dark-Fronted Babbler, Jerdon's Nightjar, Mountain Hawk Eagles, Large-Billed Leaf-Warbler, Cormorants, Brown-Backed Needletails, Pompadour Green Pigeon, etc.
- Best Time To Visit: October to March
- Visit Timings: 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM