The South Indian state of Karnataka is located in the arms of the lofty, lush Western Ghats and is blessed by immense scenic beauty. Like the beaches, wildlife and temples, the hill stations in Karnataka allure adventure enthusiasts and nature lovers, alike, in huge numbers.
Away from the hustle-bustle of the city life, these hill towns are perfect for a family vacation or for honeymoon. Untouched, fresh, and charming, these Karnataka hill stations have coffee plantations, mist-clad hills, pleasant weather, paddy fields, cascading waterfalls, gushing rivers and more.
List of 8 Famous hill stations in Karnataka that You Must Visit
Lying in the foothills of the Mullayanagiri Range, Chikmagalur boasts of stunning views, meandering roads, and verdant forests. The serene ambiance might want you to make this place your post-retirement home. One of the most popular hill stations of Karnataka, it is also known as the ‘land of coffee’. The place is dotted with several attractions.
- Best time to visit- September to March
- Places of interest- Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary, Sringeri Mutt, Trek up Mullayanagiri Mountain, Kudremukh Peak, and Hanuman Gundi Falls
- Popular Activities- Trekking, Cycling, Nature walk, Camping and Rafting
Offering memorable vacations to honeymooners as well as adventure junkies, Coorg, undoubtedly, is one of the most-visited hill stations in Karnataka. Lying on the eastern slopes of the Western Ghats, this stunning hill town has verdant paddy fields, aromatic coffee plantations and spice plantations. Visit Coorg and you feel the comfort of being at your home. The colorful traditions of the locals is truly enjoyable.
- Best time to visit- Throughout the year
- Places of interest- Abbey and Iruppu Falls, Madikere Fort, Tadiyandamol Peak, Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Namdroling Tibetan settlement, and Dubare Elephant Camp
- Popular Activities- Trekking, Hiking, Cycling, Mountaineering, Plantation Tours, and Waterfall Visits
Find some amazing Karnataka tour packages here:
3. Nandi Hills
One of the most popular weekend getaways from Bangalore, the legendary Nandi Hills is extremely popular for its ancient fortress. The place is extremely popular amid adventure enthusiasts and is known for offering picturesque views from the top. Savor the tranquility sprinkled all around.
- Best time to visit- Throughout the year
- Places of interest- Amruth Sarovar Lake, Tipu Sultan’s palace, Tippu drop, Nandi temple, and the Secret passages.
- Popular Activities- Biking/Cycling, Trekking, Paragliding
Also read: 17 Top Things to Do in Bengaluru (Bangalore)
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Agumbe is known as the ‘Cherrapunji of the South’. Famed for its breathtaking landscape and pleasant weather, it lies at an altitude of around 2275 feet. This tiny hill town has several natural wonders that allure tourists from all around.
This place is also linked rain forest conservation efforts. Also known as Hasiru Honnu (green gold), it also has medicinal plants. Do not forget to capture the beauty of this place in your camera.
- Best time to visit- October – February
- Places of interest- Koodlu Theertha Falls, Sunset Point, Gopalakrishna Temple, Agumbe Rainforest Research Station, animals and birds in the rainforest, and Jogigundi Falls
- Popular Activities- Waterfall Visits, Forest Trails, Trekking, and Nature Trails.
5. Biligiri Hills
Popularly known as BR Hills, Biligiri Hills are around 120 km from Mysore and have thick jungles with varied wildlife. One of the best attractions near Mysore, BR Hills is a lofty hill range, which is an ideal visit for photography and nature enthusiasts. It has things for people with all sorts of interests- temple, wildlife sanctuary and adventure. These hill range is also known to be the wildlife corridor connecting the Eastern Ghats to the Western Ghats.
- Best time to visit- June – November, December – March
- Places of interest- Biligiri Rangaswamy Temple, Dzogchen monastery, Big Champak Tree, and BRT Wildlife Sanctuary
- Popular Activities- Sightseeing, Trekking, Wildlife Safaris (Elephant and Jeep Safaris)
A biodiversity hotspot, Kudremukh hill station is one of most popular summer vacation destinations in Karnataka. The place gets its name from the mountain range of the same name. This hill town is surrounded by 5 sacred ponds and thus is also a popular pilgrimage for the Hindus. The place also grows some varieties of rare orchids.
- Best time to visit- October to February
- Places of interest- Kudremukh Peak, Hanuman Gundi Falls, Lakhya Dam, and Kudremukh National Park
- Popular Activities- Trekking, Wildlife Safari, Waterfall Visit, Sightseeing
All kinds of attractions folded into one, Kundadri has temples, waterfalls, wildlife safari and more. Boasting of salubrious weather and picturesque scenery, it has a hill with the same name. This hill town offers refreshing vacation, away from chaos of the cities. The place is surrounded by lush greenery.
- Best time to visit- All-round the year
- Places of interest- 17th century Jain temple, Jog Falls, Dabbe Falls, Bhadra Wildlife Safari, Sakrebailu Elephant Camp, and Mattur Lake.
- Popular Activities- Trekking, Sightseeing, Waterfall Visit, Wildlife Safari
Popularly known as KR hills, Kemmanagundi is located at a distance of just 62 km from Chikmagalur. Positioned on the Baba Budan range, this beautiful and serene hill station is a popular weekend getaway from Bangalore. Lying amid lush vegetation and mountain streams, the place also has several medicinal plants and herbs.
- Best time to visit- November to May
- Places of interest- The Z point, Bhadra Wildlife sanctuary, Hebbe Falls, Kalhattagiri Falls, Rock garden, and Baba Budan Hill
- Popular Activities- Trekking, Wildlife Safari, and Waterfall Visit