Is your thirst for Himalayan holidays in May near Delhi runs wild? You are not alone! Delhiites just need a reason to pack their bags and head to the hills, although a whole year, but particularly more in summers in May. And why wouldn’t they be? Delhi, the national capital, enjoys the brilliant position as it is located close to the many hill stations in North India. There is something about places to visit near Delhi in May that turns me into a poet and the world into a muse. Have you ever felt this way about something too? If not, then it is time for you to take a trip near Delhi in May with your special someone to beat the heat.
Guess what? We have made it easy for you by curating the best places to visit near Delhi in May to escape the sweltering heat. Whether you want to rejuvenate your mind in the hills or have a camping experience near Delhi in May, followed by outdoor adventures, take this post as your handy guide.
Is Places to Visit Near Delhi in May Are Worth Exploring?
Yes! It is worth exploring the places to visit near Delhi in May 2021 if you want to escape the capital city’s scorching heat, Delhi. Moreover, you will watch birds flying in the morning as the sun slowly rose behind the Himalayas. The feeling of sun rays falling on the slopes of Dhauladhar or Garhwal ranges in front of you will tantalize your senses. You will find the happiness you haven’t felt yet, and the peace and tranquility will hit you differently.
Apart from relaxation, summer breaks in May near Delhi come with unique opportunities to learn and develop social skills. If you have kids, then there is a good chance they will learn to embrace the cultural shock.
Ready to focus on self-care and pampering you deserve amidst snow-capped beauty and lush green meadows?
Here is a list of 8 beautiful places to visit near Delhi in May that you should not miss out on this summer!
1. Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh
Wow Factor: Snowy mountains, greenery in abundance, and clean weather.
Dalhousie Temperature in May: 15°C – 28°C (approx.)
How Many Days for Dalhousie: 3-4 days (approx.)
Lying at the western edge of Dhauladhar mountain, Dalhousie’s elevation is 1970 m (approx.). This much elevation of any hill station near Delhi is considered an idea for spending summers. A trip to Dalhousie in May 2021 will harmonize your soul because you will see nature’s imperious forms. You will find much Scottish and Victorian architecture in Dalhousie because it was once the favorite summer retreat for the Britishers during their invasion of India. In and around a few kilometers within Dalhousie, tourists can spoil themselves with trekking, waterfall excursions, boating rides, and enthralling wildlife. You will see hard snow but don’t expect to witness snowfall.
Things to Do in Dalhousie in May
- Admire the crystal clear water of Panchpula Waterfalls to give relief to sore eyes
- Hike up to Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary to witness Himalayan Monal and barking deer
- Get your prayers answered at Chamunda Devi Temple
- Enjoy shopping at Tibetan Handicraft Market to buy Tibetan artifacts
- Stroll through the Garam Sadak for Instagrammable pictures
Nearest Airport to Dalhousie: Gaggal Airport, 107 kilometers/4 hours (approx.)
Nearest Railway Station to Dalhousie: 81 kilometers/2.5 hours (approx.)
Delhi to Dalhousie Distance: 565 kilometers (approx.) via NH 44
Travel Time: 12 hours (approx.)
2. Nainital, Uttarakhand
Wow Factor: One of the favorite picnic spots near Delhi that ooze with good weather.
Nainital Temperature in May: 13°C – 23°C (approx.)
How Many Days for Nainital: 4-5 days (approx.)
When it comes to the best places near Delhi to visit in May, Nainital is considered. Perched at a staggering height of 2084 m (approx.) above sea level, the Kumayon Himlayan setting of this popular hill station got your back for relaxing summer holidays without sweltering. When here in Nainital, you should admire the kidney-shaped Naini Lake and indulge in a boating excursion. If you want to beat the harsh summer of cities, visit Nainital in May 2021, and we assure you won’t have any dull moments as it is one of the developed hill resort towns near Delhi.
Things to Do in Nainital in May
- Try paragliding to fly up in the air
- Slowly glides on the waters of Naini Lake
- Shop until you drop at Mall Road
- Capture the beauty of the Himalayas after hiking Tiffin Top
- Enjoy ropeway rides on a staggering height of 2250 m (approx.)
Nearest Airport to Nainital: Pantnagar Airport, 70 kilometers/3 hours (approx.)
Nearest Railway Station to Nainital: 36 kilometers/1.5 hours (approx.)
Delhi to Nainital Distance: 325 kilometers (approx.) via NH 9
Travel Time: 8 hours (approx.)
3. Ladakh, Jammu, and Kashmir
Wow Factor: Encounter with snow is possible in May in Ladakh.
Leh Ladakh Temperature in May: 15°C – 18°C (approx.)
How Many Days for Leh Ladakh: 6-7 days (approx.)
However, this destination is not easy to reach from Delhi in May because of challenging road conditions but definitely warrants a visit. How? Plan your trip to Leh Ladakh in May via flight and transport yourself in the whole new different world. Leh Ladakh is one of the top places near Delhi in May because there are ample adventure sports to get spoiled, including rafting, trekking, and mountain biking. Lying at an altitude of 3500 m (approx.) above sea level, Leh Ladakh will give you enough reasons to fall in love with summers.
Here, the sun does not cause trouble on a sightseeing tour because of its staggering elevation. The bonus is partially snow-covered monasteries. You could visit them and click their pictures from outside. Did we mention you can even witness snowfall at Chang La Pass and Khardung La Pass in May? What’s your excuse for skipping the Leh Ladakh tour in May?
Things to Do in Ladakh in May
- Seek blessings at the century-old monasteries
- Ride a mountain bike across Khardung La Pass
- Raft the rapids of Zanskar River
- Enjoy a ride on Double Humped Bactrian Camel
- Witness Snow Leopard in Hemis National Park
Nearest Airport to Ladakh: Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport, 2.5 kilometers/10 minutes (approx.)
Nearest Railway Station to Ladakh: 700 kilometers/17 hours (approx.)
Note: By road, you can reach Ladakh via two routes; Srinagar Leh Highway and Manali Leh Highway. However, Srinagar Leh Highway opens up in early May, and Manali Leh opens up in June. We suggest you reach Ladakh via air because BRO will be doing snow clearing tasks, and your trip might be treacherous if you go to Ladakh via road in May.
Advice: Keep checking the Srinagar to Leh Highway status for 2021.
- Discover the new routes leading to Leh Ladakh
- Indian Railways launch highest rail tracks to Leh
- Most Interesting Things To Do in Leh Ladakh
4. Auli, Uttarakhand
Wow Factor: You can make the best of sun, snow, and slopes.
Auli Ladakh Temperature in May: 7°C – 18°C (approx.)
How Many Days for Auli: 3-4 days (approx.)
There are some places to visit in May near Delhi, like Auli, where nature comes alive to its glory and splendor. Perched at a staggering altitude of 2909 m (approx.), Auli is where you can bask yourself in the enthralling outdoor sports, including skiing, ropeway ride, and trekking excursion.Here you can visit several temples that are associated with mythological legends. If you are looking for a weekend getaway from Delhi in May, consider Auli as the weather remains moderately cold.
Things to Do in Auli in May
- Marvel magnificent Himalayan peaks in the backdrops on a ropeway
- Enjoy the heart-throbbing hiking activity
- Tour the UNESCO awarded Nanda Devi National Park
- Pamper your eyes with the surreal setting of Artificial Lake
- Head to Joshimath to experience the village life of the Pahadi people
Nearest Airport to Auli: Jolly Grant Bakula Airport, 286 kilometers/7 hours (approx.)
Nearest Railway Station to Auli: Rishikesh Railway Station, 265 kilometers/8 hours (approx.)
Delhi to Auli Distance: 390 kilometers (approx.) via NH 44
Travel Time: 10 hours (approx.)
5. Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
Wow Factor: Irresistible old-world charm awaits you with enticing weather.
Shimla Temperature in May: 13°C – 28°C (approx.)
How Many Days for Leh Ladakh: 4-5 days (approx.)
It will be an injustice if we skip Shimla when talking about hill stations near Delhi in May. The white winter Queen of India, Shimla’s beauty is equivalent in summers. May is when you will see tourism revive in Shimla, and many tourists or family visit this hill station. You can reach the Jakhoo Temple on a short hike or cover several other trekking trails.
You will find Shimla brims with lush greenery in May because there are dense pine, oak, and deodar forests. Once Shimla served as the ‘Summer Capital of British India,’ and no wonder why it has become one of the best places near Delhi to visit in May within 400 kilometers.
Things to Do in Shimla in May
- Experience the true essence of outdoor accommodation at a campsite
- Explore the bustling Mall Road before an overnight stay
- Sail across the pristine blue waters on a rafting adventure
- Enjoy the Kalka-Shimla toy train ride
- Indulge in paragliding to marvel at the snow vistas of mighty Himalayas while gliding in the sky
- Relax at Chadwick Waterfalls, which is surrounded by deodar and pine trees
Nearest Airport to Shimla: Chandigarh International Airport, 121 kilometers/4 hours (approx.)
Nearest Railway Station to Shimla: Kalka Railway Station
Delhi to Shimla Distance: 344 kilometers (approx.) via NH 44 and NH 5
Travel Time: 9 hours (approx.)
6. Dehradun, Uttarakhand
Wow Factor: Pleasant climate throughout the year.
Dehradun Temperature in May: 20°C – 33°C (approx.)
How Many Days for Dehradun: 3-4days (approx.)
Uttarakhand’s capital is also one of the oldest Indian cities known for its pleasant climate throughout the year. Due to its location in the lower foothills of the Himalayas, Dehradun experiences a good climate even in summers. Therefore, if you are looking for tourist places to visit near Delhi in May 2021, Dehradun could be a great option. You can try every kind of adventure sports here, and the capital of Uttarakhand is known for its famous worldly institutions. A family trip to Dehradun in the summers will reward you with two things; an amazing vacation time with family, and if you have kids, you should think of enrolling them in Dehradun schools or institutions for their better future. The lush greenery of this town near Mussoorie will amaze you!
Things to Do in Dehradun in May
- Tour the naturally formed Robber’s Cave
- Rejuvenate your mind with camping in the green valleys
- Soak high up in the sky by paragliding to witness Doon Valley panoramic views
- Indulge in joyous picnic midst greenery at Malsi Deer Park
- Mediate at Tapovan Temple to enlighten your spiritual side
Nearest Airport to Dehradun: Jolly Grant Airport, 28 kilometers/1 hours (approx.)
Nearest Railway Station to Dehradun: Dehradun Railway Station, 850 meters/10 minutes (approx.)
Delhi to Dehradun Distance: 248 kilometers (approx.) via Saharanpur Road
Travel Time: 6 hours (approx.)
7. Bir Billing, Himachal Pradesh
Wow Factor: Hard snow melts in May, which is a visual treat to the eyes.
Bir Billing Temperature in May: 13°C – 25°C (approx.)
How Many Days for Bir Billing: 2-3 days (approx.)
Adding extra glitter and jitters to Himachal Pradesh’s beauty, Bir Billing are two separate places located within 15 kilometers (approx.) distance. Bir is a charming village where you will find lots of greenery, monasteries, and cafes. If you are a shutterbug, Bir will give you enough moments to capture in your frame. April to June is when the snow melts in Bir Billing, which gives respite from the heat. Billing is the place where paragliding takes place, and Bir is the landing point. If you are searching for serene places to visit in May near Delhi with friends, look no further than Bir Billing.
Things to Do in Bir Billing in May
- Fly without wings and try paragliding
- Camp under the star-studded sky in the Bir Valley
- Stroll amidst the tea gardens in Chowan
- Practice meditation in the Tibetan Buddhist monasteries
- Explore the local Tibetan Bazars to buy Tibetan handicrafts and artifacts
Nearest Airport to Bir Billing: Gaggal Airport, 68 kilometers/2.5 hours (approx.)
Nearest Railway Station to Bir Billing: Ahju Railway Station, 3 kilometers(approx.)
Delhi to Bir Billing Distance: 517 kilometers (approx.) via Saharanpur Road
Travel Time: 10 hours (approx.)
You can also enjoy Paragliding in Bir Billing Through 1 Night / 2 Day Package.
8. Kasol, Himachal Pradesh
Wow Factor: Roll a “Joints” of Happiness ang get trippy with Israelis.
Kasol Temperature in May: 20°C – 33°C (approx.)
How Many Days for Kasol: 6-7 (approx.)
Youngsters don’t need exaggeration for Kasol because we all know what this place is famous for! Kasol will steal your heart and make you “stoned” with its unparalleled beauty. Lying in the Parvati Valley, Kasol has many charming cafes, hiking, and trekking places. It is one of those destinations in India where you will find Israelis settlements. Kasol is known for its pleasant holiday experience without breaking the bank. If you want to explore the pretty dreamland of stoners in India, there is no other better place than Kasol.
Things to Do in Kasol in May
- Embark on Kheerganga Trek
- Mediate on a rock after getting trippy
- Washway your sins in the hot springs of Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara
- Pick up Israeli souvenirs
- Experience local culture at Malana
Nearest Airport to Kasol: Bhuntar Airport, 31 kilometers/1 hours (approx.)
Nearest Railway Station to Kasol: Joginder Nagar Railway Station, 125 kilometers (approx.)
Delhi to Kasol Distance: 517 kilometers (approx.) via NH 44
Travel Time: 10 hours (approx.)
- Amazing Destinations In Himachal Pradesh For Unlimited Adventure
- Best Destinations In Himachal Pradesh For Backpackers
- 17 Lakes in Himachal Pradesh
- Top 12 Honeymoon Destinations in Himachal Pradesh
We hope you have picked your favorite summer destination to visit in 2021. All these mentioned above places to visit near Delhi in May are chilly heaven in the summers. You can visit any of these weekend getaways around Delhi in May either with your family, friends, or sweetheart.
Which other nearest hill stations from Delhi to visit in May you think should be included in this post? Share your views in the comments.
- Best Places to Visit in India in May with family
- Best Places to Visit in India in June with Family
- 11 Awesome Places to Visit in India in May 2021
- Best Places For Camping Near Delhi in May
- Best Picnic Spots in Delhi to Relive Childhood Memories
- 9 Fun Activities in Delhi For Kids
- Top 10 Things to Do in Delhi That You Can Do for Free