10 Best Ashrams in Rishikesh for Yoga and Meditation
The practice of yoga in India is inscribed on the representative list of UNESCO World Heritage of humanity. Till date, there are many ashrams in Rishikesh that practice the ancient art and styles of yoga along with meditation. In fact, Rishikesh also goes by the name of ‘World Capital of Yoga’.
Yoga tours in India brings millions of visitors in the country to seek the knowledge. Moreover, India and especially Rishikesh celebrate an annual International Yoga Festival. Visited by Yoga enthusiasts across the globe, it is an opportunity to connect with your spiritual side. As ashrams in Rishikesh enjoy the beauty of Himalayas along with the bliss of the sacred River Ganga, it is among the best places for yoga and meditation in India.
1. Parmarth Niketan
Located alongside the holy Ganges River, Parmarth Niketan is one of the renowned ashrams in India and not just Rishikesh. With more than 1,000 rooms, eight-acre campus and other accommodation, it offers the ideal setting to practice yoga and meditation. You can stay up to 15 days of stay with permission while learning the ancient science from experts. Also, the ashrams serves host to the annual week-long International Yoga Festival held at Rishikesh.
Choose from the specializations of Ashram including Vedic Heritage, an extensive program of yoga, spirituality, and other yoga courses.
What to do at Parmarth Niketan?
- Participate in sessions of yoga and meditation.
- Attend lectures on spiritual topics by Gurus and yogis.
- Be a part of the spectacular Ganga Aarti at sunset.
- Pamper yourself with Ayurvedic treatment and nature cure.
- Sit by the river watching the poplar activity of river rafting in Rishikesh
[Check-out 12 Days Yoga and Meditation Tour to Rishikesh]
2. Sivananda Ashram
Known among the best yoga training institutes in Rishikesh and also India, Sivananda Ashram is also known as ‘Divine Life Society’. Dedicated to Swami Sivananda, the founder, the ashram imparts knowledge on Yoga, Hinduism, Vedanta and other spiritual topics.
Yoga classes are offered daily, except Sundays both for men and women. While men get morning lessons, women have lessons in the evening. There are a number of yoga course available, the most popular among them is a 2-month yoga course. Meditation and Pranayama are also taught while Iyengar Yoga is the most practiced form of yoga.
What to do at Sivananda Ashram?
- Attend Yoga lessons along with meditation, pranayama, etc.
- Indulge yourself in the simple life of the ashram.
- Participate in various special programs offered.
- Comprehensive study of Indian philosophy with focus on Vedas.
- Walk on the ghats along River Ganga, Ram Jhula and temples in Rishikesh
3. Omkarananda Ganga Sadan
One of the best ashrams in Rishikesh for yoga and meditation, next we have the popular Omkarananda Ganga Sadan. Located on the banks of Ganga River, it enjoys matchless spiritual bliss. While the beauty of the setting soothes all senses, it is the knowledge from the yoga experts that make your stay worthwhile. In fact, an experience of a lifetime.
Yoga classes are open for all daily, except Sundays, Intensive yoga course needs prior reservations. You can choose from diverse packages that range from days to months. Lectures on the Bhagvada Gita are soul cleansing, which you must attend.
What to do at Omkarananda Ganga Sadan?
- Learn about the great mystic sage Shri Paramahamsa Omkarananda Saraswati.
- Embrace knowledge of spiritual, cultural, educational, scientific and social fields.
- Learn and get training of Iyengar Yoga, an important branch of Yoga in India
- Participate in daily yoga classes.
- Visit the river ghat, especially during aarti.
- Attend a Satsang, praise the Lord’s name
[Also Read: 10 Best Adventure Activities in Rishikesh]
4. Yoga Niketan
Next on our list of amazing yoga ashrams in India, we have Yoga Niketan. Among the top training centers in Rishikesh, here you can actually feel the union of body, mind and soul. Ultimately leading to experience of divine bliss. Set amid 7 acres of charming landscape, here you can escape the chaos of the world. While you enjoy the peaceful setting, also get trained in the different practices of yoga.
Sessions are instructed upon all of the eight branches of Yoga according to Patanjali Yoga Shastra. While you enroll yourself, sincerely follow instructions. In addition, there are more than 100 comfortable rooms therefore no dearth of facilities for students of yoga in India.
What to do at Yoga Niketan?
- Exhilarate in daily Yoga classes and spiritual lectures at the top meditation ashram in India.
- Attend Satsang in the evening.
- Visit bustling local markets.
- Enjoy delicious food such as diversified varieties of breakfast, porridge, rice, chapattis, and seasonal food.
- Learn about traditional hatha yoga and different yoga therapies.
- Exhilarate in Ayurvedic Spa and Acupressure.
5. Sadhana Mandir
Among the many popular ashrams in Rishikesh, next we have Sadhana Mandir. It is one of the best places to learn about yoga and meditation in India. Moreover, the ashram follows the 5,000-year old practice of yoga, along with other ancient with Himalayan traditions. The peaceful atmosphere and view of banks of the flowing Ganges River is soothing by all means.
Known as “village of spiritual seekers”, this ashram is highly regarded for its scientific approach to yogic meditation. Also, experience bliss at physical, pranic, mental and spiritual levels. In addition, engage in yoga lessons, along with breathing, relaxing, meditation practices and lectures on spiritual concepts.
What to do at Sadhana Mandir?
- Enroll in a weekend retreat
- Enjoy beauty of the ashram as well as its surroundings
- Self-Transformation program.
- Personal meditation retreats.
- Guided silence retreat.
- Walk to Ram Jhula and the charming town.
[Check-out 8 Days Uttarakhand Adventure Tour Package]
6. Swami Dayanand Ashram
As holy as its location, Swami Dayanand Ashram is among the best places to learn about yoga and meditation in India. Set alongside River Ganga, the ashram is an internationally recognized center for learning about yoga, Vedanta, Bhagvad Gita, Upanishads and more.
Daily yoga classes are open for all. Also, meditation halls here are open for the experts as well for novice to learn more about the ancient form of wellness. In addition, the ashram offers courses that includes yoga and meditation along with Vedic chanting. Also, puja and other traditional rituals add to the spiritual bliss. Additionally, Iyengar and Hatha yoga are the most practiced of the eight forms of yoga at the ashram.
What to do At Swami Dayanand Ashram?
- Attend daily workshop of yoga, meditation and chanting.
- Take a holy dip in the River Ganga.
- Participate in the Satsang held around.
- Enjoy stroll along the Ram Jhula and the charming town of Rishikesh.
7. Phool Chatti
Known among the popular ashrams for yoga and meditation in India, Phool Chatti is one of the best places for spiritual bliss. Famous for its special seven days yoga and meditation programs in India. While the name means “Land of Flowers” it accordingly describes the ambiance. In addition of yoga classes, there are programs for meditation, cleansing, chanting, breathing, Mauna (silence), worship, kirtan and multiple other aspects of yogic paths. Moreover, the ashram practices mostly all the eight forms of yoga with focus on Hatha Yoga and Ashtang yoga.
In addition, the clutter-free environment of the ashram awakens spiritual enlightenment. In addition of the yogic way of life there are touches of modern comfort. Also, indulge in the rituals to carry spiritual wellness throughout your lives.
What to do In Phool Chatti?
- Yoga session
- Attend lectures on spiritual topics
- Ritual bathing in the holy River Ganga
- Be a part of the havan ceremony to get divine blessings
8. Anand Prakash Ashram
An interesting mix of ancient and modern, Ananda Prakash Ashram is built on the concept of East meets west. The location of the sacred ashram make it one of the best yoga retreats in India. Moreover it is located in Tapovan also known as the ‘forest of yogis’, the ashram is ideal for spiritual wellness. Surrounded by mountains with view of the holy river, the setting therefore evokes divine bliss.
Also, the ashram proffers diverse courses including Akhanda Yoga, classical Kundalini and hatha-raja yoga. In addition, transform your mind, body and soul with yoga classes, pranayama, mantra chanting, meditation, Kirtana, and more.
What to do at Anand Prakash Ashram?
- Attend Yoga classes.
- Participate in Ayurvedic cooking classes
- Be a part of the sessions of mantra chanting, kirtan and other rituals.
- Enjoy walk around the town especially the ghats of river Ganga
[Plan your tour to Rishikesh with Auli]
9. Himalayan Yog Ashram
Next on our list of the top yoga retreats in India, we have the Himalayan Yog Ashram. The famous yoga school in Rishikesh offers a number of courses and programs for the learners as well as the experienced one. Also learn more about Ashtanga yoga/ Hatha Yoga and Vinyasa flow from a scientific approach.
Moreover experience true yogic lifestyle, with program that consists of postures, breathing, meditation, spiritual teachings, and organic Ayurveda food. In addition, there are programs designed to remove stress and also detoxify the body, mind and soul.
What to do at Himalayan Yog Ashram?
- Follow the daily rituals of yogic lifestyle.
- Attend lecture on Vedic teachings.
- Delight in Healthy Ayurvedic vegetarian lifestyle.
- Get trained in pranayama, asanas, mudras and bandhas
- In addition, explore the charming bliss of Rishikesh with evening walks
[Find an extensive list of Rishikesh Tour Packages]
10. Osho Gangadham Ashram
A part of institutions following the principles of Osho, the Osho Ganga Dham Ashram is an ideal option to enjoy spiritual holiday in India. Moreover, if you are in searching of inner peace, then here you can definitely explore bliss. Yoga practices and mediation are taught here all through the year with options of diverse courses.
Nourish your body and spirit with daily sessions. Also, not just yoga, there are sessions for mediation, body pampering, and other activities that bring you close to the divine.
What to do at Osho Gangadham?
- Enjoy the lovely view of the majestic Himalayas along with the view of River Ganga.
- Actively participate in the peaceful setting of Ashram.
- Also attend the session on yoga and meditation
- In addition, be a part of a the lectures on spiritual topics
- Escape from the chaos of cities
While this is the end of our list, there are many more ashrams in Rishikesh for yoga, meditation and spiritual bliss. Visit any of these holy ashrams and get spiritually enlightened! Find an extensive list of Rejuvenation Yoga and Ayurveda Packages in India.