Devbhoomi urges you to travel. Go, explore it.
You have seen the valley full of flowers. You have captured the raw wildlife of Jim Corbett in your camera. You have rejuvenated yourself in the Yoga Capital of India, Rishikesh. And you know Uttarakhand is a crowd-puller, but this hill station isn’t just about flowers, wildlife, lakes, and yoga. From rich culture to tranquillity-driven hill towns, beauty comes in many forms in Uttarakhand.
There are uncountable offbeat places in Uttarakhand. If you count them all, your counting will never stop. What most tourists do is visit the oh-so-common destinations in Uttarakhand. But there are plenty of other places in Uttarakhand that are not on the tourist radar. So, if you also think the whole of Uttarakhand is almost the same, then you are in constant flux.
Why Discovering Offbeat Places in Uttarakhand Should Be on Your Bucket List?
The reason is only one – to break the monotony and escape the madding crowd. Uttarakhand is a vast place and has numerous offbeat places that are yet to be explored. If you are bored of all those clichéd tourist attractions in Uttarakhand, you must travel to offbeat places in Uttarakhand. Moreover, you will support the local communities in your offbeat exploration. It is a responsible way of traveling.
Here is our pick of the 12 offbeat places in Uttrakhand for an Exciting Holiday
1. Khirsu: Explore the Himalayan abode
A visit to Khirsu will remind you of a fairy tale destination from a novel. At an altitude of 2700 m (approx.), this charming village is a soulful retreat for those who want to holiday in a traffic-free spot. It has tropical weather year-round and clouds are cobalt blue.
If you are looking for an offbeat place to visit in Uttarakhand near New Delhi, bookmark Khirsu. It is one of the best-unexplored camping and trekking spots in Uttarakhand. The setting of this village is splendorous because the village is surrounded by apple orchards and dense forests. You are sure to have a relaxing time with your loved ones here.
- Nearest airport: Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun 145 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station: Kotdwar railway station 115 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 4-5 days
Best time to visit Khirsu
You can visit Khirsu village throughout the year. The temperature remains pleasant, just like in any other hill station. The summer months are the best for sightseeing tour. While winters are best experienced when you indulge in camping and trekking.
Places to visit in Khirsu
- Van Manoranjan Kendra
- Kalpa Devi Temple
- Farkhunda Viewpoint and Chaukhambha Viewpoint
Things to do in Khirsu
- Explore the village on foot
- Enjoy bird watching
- Go trekking and camping
2. Peora: To indulge in the best of mountain life
Tucked at an elevation of 6,600 ft (approx.), this hamlet is perfect for bird watchers. It is another offbeat place in Uttarakhand that is known for its pictorial vibes. Here you will see snow-covered mountains. If you are looking to spend your holidays in a Hollywood-style village, you must visit it. This place is perfect even for solo tripping souls.
Peora is a less crowded place to visit in Uttarakhand with family and super affordable too! Here homestay options are available for tourists who want to indulge in chit-chat with the locals. Make sure you visit Peora if you want to have a peaceful time close to virgin nature.
- Nearest airport to Peora: Pantnagar 111 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to Peora: Kathgodam 77 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 4-5 days
Best time to visit Peora
Winters in Peora are cold and considered the best for witnessing snow-clad views. While summers are pleasant. In monsoon, the village is blanketed in lush greenery.
Places to visit in Peora
- Local Herbal Factory
- Chauli ki Jali
- Nanda Devi Temple
Things to do in Peora
- Get off your butt and walk on the trails of the villages
- Feast your eyes on the lush greenery and snow-capped beauty
- Carry your cameras with you to capture the migratory birds
3. Pangot: Escape to an isolated heaven
Imagine waking up to birds chirping and soothing sunrise. Such places invoke calmness and boast tranquillity. Pangot is amongst the great places for a summer vacation in Uttarakhand with family, which is untouched by modernity. It lies close to Nainital 15 km (approx.) and less touristy than it. If you seek a serene mountain getaway, Pangot will offer you glorious views of Himalayan peaks like Nanda Devi.
- Nearest airport to Pangot: Pantnagar 85 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to Pangot: Kathgodam 51 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 4-5 days
Best time to visit Pangot
October to June is the best time to visit Pangot. During this time, you can see various species of birds here. If you want to see upper Himalayan birds, you should visit between January to March.
Places to visit in Pangot
- Guao Hills
- Eco Cave
- Kainchi Dham Temple
Things to do in Pangot
- Bewitch your mind with the snow-capped mountains of Nanda Devi
- Admire the old world charm in the architecture of Almora
- Walk on the secluded zig-zack trails
Tip: Pack woolen clothes accordingly for both the seasons – winter and summer because winters are freezing and nights are cold in summers.
4. Chaukori: Feel the natural splendor
If you are looking to explore an offbeat place to visit in Uttarakhand with family in May and June, bookmark Chaukori. Located at an altitude of 2100 meters, this hill station in the Pithoragarh district is still unexplored. From here, you can see the beautiful views of Nanda Devi and Panchkula Peak. This place is no less than a paradise for nature lovers and strollers. Here you will get to see the beauty of Uttarakhand like never before and will not feel like returning home.
- Nearest airport to Chaukori: Pantnagar 223 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to Chaukori: Kathgodam 189 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 3-4 days
Best time to visit Chaukori
The best time to visit Chaukori Hill Station is from April to June. There are also many beautiful places to stay in Chaukori. Here you will find hotels and homestays that make your Chaukori trip cozy and memorable.
Places to visit in Chaukori
- Kali Devi Waterfalls
- Patal Bhubaneshwar
- Mukteshwar temple
Things to do in Chaukori
- Capture the breathtaking snow-clad peaks of Nanda Devi in your camera
- Take nature walks amidst the lush green jungles
- Meet the locals of the village to understand the culture of Uttarakhand
Tip: Take winter clothes with you in winter because it is the time when snowfall happens.
5. Binsar: Relax and rejuvenate in lush greenery
Some less explored sites in Uttarakhand have such charisma which will make you a storyteller. Binsar is one such quaint town. Binsar is a Garhwali word, which means the new morning. Surrounded by pine forests.
Binsar is 33 km (approx.) from Almora. This charming village is situated at an altitude of about 2,200 meters above sea level.
Binsar is a place from which the Himalayan peaks of Kedarnath, Chakhamba, Nanda Devi, Pancholi, and Trishul are visible. Binsar is a less crowded place to visit in Uttarakhand with family in January. It is the time when you can play snowball fights. There is also a wildlife sanctuary in Binsar which is a must-visit place for wildlife lovers.
- Nearest airport to Binsar: Pantnagar airport 140 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to Binsar: Kathgodam 105 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 5-6 days
Best time to visit Binsar
Although the mountains are worth seeing in every season, if you want to see the Himalayas peaks, then come in clear weather. The best time for this is from October to November. At that time, the sky is completely clear, and the Himalayas’ beautiful views will also be seen.
If you want to see the beauty of the forests here, you can come in March-April. Then you will find the flowers of burrows blooming in the forest here. At that time, the entire forest is filled with flowers, and the whole becomes red-red.
Places to visit in Binsar
- Binsar Zero Point
- Binsar Sanctuary Museum
- Binsar Mahadev Temple
Things to do in Binsar
- Savor the local cuisine of Binsar
- Meet the locals and plan your homestay with them
- Become a hippie at the Hippie’s Hills
Note: Winter months experience heavy snowfall so pack your wardrobe accordingly.
6. Jeolikot: Discover the ghost stories
In the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand, there is a small village named Jeolikot. It provides amazing activities like floriculture and learning to catch butterflies. The village is settled at an altitude of 1219 meters (approx.) above sea level.
It is visited by tourists throughout the year. But compared to other hill towns, the temperature is much higher in Jeolikot. Even in winter, there is always a lot of sunshine, so you can come here all year to celebrate the holidays.
Jeolikot hill station is tucked 19 km (approx.) from Nainital and could be visited with Nainital. You must explore this less explored hill station in Uttarakhand if you are itching to unwind differently amidst nature.
- Nearest airport to Jeolikot: Pantnagar airport 120 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to Jeolikot: Kathgodam 20 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 2-4 days
Best time to visit Jeolikot
Winters are relatively cold in Jeolikot and temperature ranges between 5°C – and 10°C. Therefore, March to June is considered the best time to visit Jeolikot since the temperature remains pleasant for sightseeing. Jeolikot experiences rainfall from July to September and is blanketed in lush greenery.
Places to visit in Jeolikot
- Kilbury Bird Sanctuary
- Naukuchiatal and Sattal
Things to do in Jeolikot
- Enjoy paragliding at Naukuchiatal and Ghorakhal
- Tour the Butterflies Museum at Jones Estate Bhimtal
- Take the strawberry, honey and kiwi found here
Tip: This village is guarded by Ghosts, according to the locals. Uncover the mystery of Jeolikot on your visit.
7. Nelang Valley: Unwind in the Ladakh of Uttarakhand
Situated at 11,000 feet, Nelang Valley (Nelong Valley) is about 100 km (approx.) from Uttarkashi city. Located in the north with a cold, barren desert and snow-capped high peaks. It is also called Ladakh of Uttarakhand because its topography is very similar to Ladakh and Tibet’s land and mountains.
This is the last point where you can travel and roam before the India-China borders and only 60 km (approx.) from the border. Many experienced travelers and strollers are also deceived by seeing this place. Nelang is part of Gangotri National Park in Uttarkashi, in which the crystal-clear water of the Ganges flows.
- Nearest airport to Nelang: Jolly Grant airport 153 km (approx.)
- Nearby railway station to Nelang: Rishikesh 123 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 3-4 days
Best time to visit Nelang
The best time to explore Nelang Valley is between May to June and September to October. During these months, the temperature remains pleasant.
Places to visit in Nelang Valley
- Harsil Village
Things to do in Nelang Valley
- Enjoy deep intimacy with natural beauty on the trek to Kedar Tal
- Tour the high glacial lake – Vasuki Tal
- Tour Gangotri National Park
Note: Permit is required.
Tip: Watch the cultural festival which happens in June every year.
8. Munsiyari: Discover the mini Kashmir of Uttarakhand
Not a well-known hill station in Uttarakhand, but it should be because of its sheer beauty. Munsiyari is amongst those offbeat destinations in Uttarakhand for honeymooners and families, which is no less than any place in beauty.
Located at an altitude of about 2300 meters above sea level, this place is called the boon of nature. Dense forests and snowy peaks are formed all around. If you are planning to roam somewhere in the coming days, you must go to Munsiyari. It is an elevated trekking spot that leads from Nanda Devi to various glaciers and base camps.
- Nearest airport to reach Munsiyari: Pantnagar 370 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to reach Munsiyari: 280 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 2-3 days
Best time to visit Munsiyari
March-June and September-October are the best time to visit Munsiyari. It’s the time when you can go for a nature walk and indulge in trekking.
Places to visit in Munsiyari
- Maharishi Kund
- Birthi Falls
Things to do in Munsiyari
- Enjoy trekking, river rafting, and skiing
- Spot the snow leopard, Himalayan bear in their natural habitat
- Satiate your wanderlust with a bird-watching activity
Note: If you want to witness snowfall in Munsiyari, visit between December to February.
9. Landour: An idyllic getaway
If you want to ditch Mussoorie over its alternative destination, visit Landour. This place is situated close to Mussoorie, a was once the cantonment town in British Indian times. Your lung will inflate with the onrush of scenery in Landour. There are deodar forests to unwind for nature’s walk. For peace and serenity lovers.
Landour is a must-visit offbeat tourist place in Uttarakhand. This picturesque hamlet is situated 10 km (approx.) away from Mussoorie. Tourists from Delhi in search of less crowded places to visit in Uttarakhand near Delhi with family should consider visiting Landour. It is 285 km (approx.) from Delhi. One could reach Delhi to Landour in 7-8 hours (approx.).
- Nearest airport to reach Landour: Jolly Grant Airport 54 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to reach Landour: Dehradun 38 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 2-3 days
Best time to visit Landour
Except for August and September, you can visit Landour in any season due to heavy rainfall.
Places to visit in Landour
- Camel’s Back Road
- Jharipani Falls
- Ivy Cottage
Things to do in Landour
- Marvel the sacred Himalayan peaks like Badrinath, Kedarnath from Lal Tibba
- Shop homemade cheese and other souvenirs from Sister’s Bazaar.
- Enjoy commanding city views from Gun Hill‘s viewpoint.
Note: Snowfall doesn’t happen in Landour. However, if you are lucky, you may see the snowfall in Landour.
Also check out: 15 Best Places to Visit in Uttarakhand in Summer with Family
10. Chakrata: Watch different shades of beauty
Chakrata is a great place for a winter vacation in Uttarakhand with family & friends that will have you coming back for more. This town is away from the chaos and noise and will reward you with lush greenery. It is situated 90 km (approx.) from Dehradun and has every perfect holiday element. From trekking to camping and sunset trips, you won’t fall short of experiences in Chakrata.
- Nearest airport to Chakrata: Jolly Grant airport 115 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to Chakrata: Dehradun railway station 88 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 3-5 days
Best time to visit Chakrata
You can visit Chakrata throughout the year. This place looks magical – be it in summers, monsoon, and winters.
Places to visit in Chakrata
- Chilmiri Neck
- Tiger Falls
Things to do in Chakrata
- Visit Chilmiri Falls – stunning sunset awaits you
- Enjoy bird-watching at Deoban
- Unlock breathtaking views of the Himalayas at Deoban
Tip: Chakrata in winters (October-February) is the time when the temperature reaches sub-zero levels. So it is advisory to take woolen clothes with you!
Also check out: 17 Best Places for Trekking in Uttarakhand
11. Rudranath: Reconnect with yourself
Touted to be the jewel of nature, Rudranath is a must-visit offbeat destination in Uttarakhand in winter for trekking. It is located in the Chamoli district. Situated at an altitude of 2,286 meters above sea level, Rudranath’s climate is quite calm and cool.
Rudranath is an important pilgrimage center for Panchkedar and Rudranath is also the third Kedar. Apart from Rudranath, Panch Kedar includes Kedarnath, Tungnath, Madhyameshwar, and Kalpeshwar.
Nature has sprinkled its beauty in every place of Rudranath. There are high towering snow-covered mountains in Rudranath for nature lovers. You will feel like clouds kissing you from Rudranath. This unexplored place in Uttarakhand is a paradise for trekkers also.
- Nearest airport to Rudranath: Jolly Grant airport 260 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to Rudranath: Rishikesh 241 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 5-6 days
Best time to visit Rudranath
April to November is considered the best time to visit Rudranath. It’s the duration when the temperature remains pleasant for trekking and sightseeing.
Places to visit in Rudranath
- Rudranath temple
- Pandava Valley
- Nandi Kund Lake
Things to do in Rudranath
- Hike Nandi Kund Lake to invoke wanderlust
- Bask in the amazing topography of Mandal village
- Enjoy the views of the snow-covered Himalayas
Note: Rudrnath is one of the least explored spots in Uttarakhand. Also, it is not on the tourist radar by voyagers.
12. Harsil: A well-known place for solitude
If you love trekking, biking, and other adventure activities, come to Harsil village. Harsil is a must-visit offbeat destination in Uttarakhand in summer for trekking. This hamlet is situated on the Bhagirathi River banks and enveloped by oak trees and a pine dense forest. The elevation of this village is 2,754 m (approx.) above sea level.
If you want to holiday in the less crowded place near Gangotri, bookmark Harsil village. The distance between Gangotri from Harshil is 26 km (approx.).
- Nearest airport to Harsil: Jolly Grant airport 232 km (approx.)
- Nearest railway station to Harsil: Dehradun 217 km (approx.)
- Ideal duration: 4-5 days
Best time to visit Harsil
Except from July to September, you can visit Harsil village at any time of the year. However, you must know that the winter months (October-March) are when there’s nail-biting cold and the temperature drops significantly below zero.
It is the best time to visit Harsil for outdoor activities. Between April to June, the place gets blanketed with lush greenery.
Places to visit in Harsil
- Dharali Village
- Mukhwas Temple.
- Gangnani Hotsprings
Things to do in Harsil
- Stay in a homestay and interact with locals to understand the culture.
- Trek through cascading falls, oak hills, and verdant valleys.
- Voyage across the photographer’s delight – Sattal to capture migratory birds.
Tip: The temperature in the summers in Harsil is cold at night. So, take your winter clothes with you.
Ready to travel to Uttarakhand after reading our 12 offbeat places in Uttarakhand? We urge you to break the monotony and head to any of these places. All the mentioned offbeat attractions in Uttarakhand are still unexplored by mass tourism. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask us in the comments. Also, you can book Uttarakhand tour packages with us and explore these scenic offbeat destinations to make cherishable memories.