If you are a fan of rainfall, scenic landscapes, unique culture, and warm people, plan a trip to Shillong to satisfy your travel desires. If not? Take a look at the list of best places to visit in Shillong for a memorable sightseeing experience.
Enriched with verdant green peaks and pine trees, the best places in Shillong charm every tourist with their peace and beauty. Whether it’s cascading waterfalls or pristine lakes, museums, or trekking trails, every tourist place in Shillong will leave you mesmerized.
Take a look at the Famous Shillong Tourist places that will rejuvenate your mind.
- Umiam Lake
- Elephant Falls
- Shillong Peak
- Ward’s Lake
- Sohpetbneng Peak
- Laitlum Canyons
- Don Bosco Museum
- Phan Nonglait Park
- Khasi Heritage Village
- Police Bazar
- Meghalaya State Museum
- Mary Help for Christian Cathedral
- David Scott Trail
- Sweet Falls
- Air Force Museum
Umiam Lake – A Man-Made Reservoir
Visit the scenic Umiam Lake, one of the best places to visit in Shillong in 3 days, and admire its beauty. Formed after the construction of a dam, the lake is enclosed by lush green East Khasi Hills that offer the most breathtaking views of Shillong. Love sunrise? Umiam Lake is the perfect place to be.
And if traveling with family or a sweetheart, you can enjoy a picnic in peace. The beauty of Umiam Lake in Shillong pulls nature lovers in huge numbers and entices thrill-seekers to indulge in water sports.
- Things to do at Umiam Lake: Boating, water sports (yachting, water scootering, cruising), catching catfishes, trekking, camping at Lumpongdeng Island.
- Best time to Visit Umiam Lake: March to June
- Umiam Lake Timings and Fees: Boating – 9 am to 5 pm, starting at INR 20 per person. The water sports complex opens from 8 am and closes at 5 pm every day. The price for water sports varies.
- How to reach Umiam Lake: Take a taxi or a cab from Shillong, 17 km away (40 to 45 min).
Explore the best Shillong tourist places with our well-curated packages
Elephant Falls – Crystal Clear Waters
On a hunt to unravel the best of the natural wonders of Shillong? Elephant Falls is the perfect place. Named after an elephant-shaped rock, the Elephant Falls is one of the most scenic places in Shillong for nature lovers. Enveloped in lush greenery, the frothy water dropping in layers is a sight to behold.
This pristine waterfall’s crystal clear waters and the silence around will not make you want to leave it. If you are a romantic couple, Elephant Falls in Shillong is a must-visit to spend some romantic moments together.
This pristine waterfall’s crystal clear waters and the silence around will not make you want to leave it. Elephant Falls in Shillong is a must-visit to spend some romantic moments together if you are a romantic couple.
- Things to do at Elephant Falls: Photography, enjoy the peace and pollution-free environs.
- Best time to visit Elephant Falls: Monsoon Season
- Elephant Falls Timings and Fees: 10 am to 6 pm at INR 20 per person.
- How to reach Elephant Falls: The waterfall is located 12 km from Shillong by road. You can take an auto-rickshaw or a cab to get to Elephant Falls.
Shillong tour packages
Shillong Peak – Stunning Views of Hills and Valleys
Want to witness panoramic views? Visit Shillong Peak, the highest point in Shillong. One of the best Shillong tourist places to visit, this peak is perched at 1961 meters above sea level, offering breathtaking views of the city.
Himalayan peaks, waterfalls, and plains of Bangladesh can be seen from Shillong Peak. If you are an adventurer, trekking is a popular activity to indulge in here.
- Things to do at Shillong Peak: Witness scenic views, birdwatching, photography
- Best time to visit Shillong Peak: September to May
- Shillong Peak Timings and Fees: 9 am to 3.30 pm (except Wednesday) at INR 30 per person.
- How to reach Shillong Peak: The peak is located 10 km away from the main city, and a cab or taxi will take around 40 min to take you here.
Ward’s Lake – Pristine Artificial Lake
If you seek to get away from the crowds, make your way to Ward’s Lake. Also known as Pollock’s Lake, this artificial lake is among the best Shillong places to visit. It is enclosed by a prolific lush garden that makes it a huge attraction among tourists. However, it is also a famous picnic spot for the locals that enjoy coming here for a simple walk around the horseshoe-shaped lake.
A small bridge is also built for visitors to enjoy the gorgeousness of the lake and witness tiny fishes floating in the water. So, indulge in water activities at Ward’s Lake for a memorable time.
- Things to do at Ward’s Lake: Picnic, feed the fishes, paddle boasting, fishing.
- Best time to visit Ward’s Lake: June and July
- Ward’s Lake Timings and Fees: 8.30 am to 5.30 pm at INR 10 per person.
- How to reach Ward’s Lake, take an auto rickshaw from Shillong Bus Stand to reach Ward’s Lake. It is located 2 km from the bus stand and takes only 7 to 8 minutes.
Sohpetbneng Peak – Navel of Heaven
One of the most beautiful places to visit in Shillong in summer, Sohpetbneng Peak, is a major part of Shillong Tourism. Perched at 1343 meters, this peak offers a birds-eye view of the dense forests and the city of Shillong. A perfect scenic getaway, Sohpetbneng Peak holds historical and spiritual significance.
A tribal festival is celebrated on the first Sunday of February every year on which the Seng Khasi people reach this peak to conduct rituals and rites and burst into song and dance. This makes Sohpetbneng Peak a significant place to see in Shillong.
- Things to do at Sohpetbneng Peak: Enjoy the peace, witness scenic views, click pictures, trekking.
- Best time to visit Sohpetbneng Peak: March to June
- Sohpetbneng Peak Timings and Fees: Open 24 hours with zero charges.
- How to reach Sohpetbneng Peak: Take a taxi to Sohpetbneng Peak from Umiam Lake, approx. 8 km away (20 min).
Planning a trip to Northeast? Check out the best Shillong tour packages
Laitlum Canyons – Must-Visit for Trekking Enthusiasts
Meaning ‘End of Hills’, Laitlum Canyons is one of the less explored Shillong tourist places. If you are a trekker, this should be on top of your list of places to explore in Shillong. Visit here and witness spectacular views of Meghalaya’s hills and valleys.
This place is secluded and serene, so if you do not like crowds, this is perfect for you. Plus, if you are an avid photographer, Lailtum Canyons is heaven for you.
- Things to do at Laitlum Canyons: Sunrise, sunset, visit Rasong Village, trek to Smit Village, explore the trails.
- Best time to visit Laitlum Canyons: March to June
- Laitlum Canyons Timings and Fees: 6 am to 5 pm.
- How to reach Laitlum Canyons: Hire a private taxi to Laitlum Canyons from Shillong, which is about 21 km away (around 1 hour).
Don Bosco Museum – Asia’s Largest Museum of Indigenous Tribes
Want to know the tribal culture and history of Meghalaya deeply? Head to Don Bosco Museum in Shillong. Featuring an extensive collection of tribal artifacts and indigenous articles, Don Bosco Museum is one of the top Shillong tourist places for history buffs.
Seven floors in this museum encompass 17 galleries, namely the Agriculture Gallery, Basketry Gallery, Ornaments and Jewelry Gallery, Fishing and Hunting Gallery, and more. These display sculptures, paintings, and artifacts that help you gain deeper knowledge about the history and culture of the state.
- Things to do at Don Bosco Museum: Witness paintings & sculptures, visit Sacred Heart Church on the premises.
- Best time to visit Don Bosco Museum: March to June
- Don Bosco Museum Timings and Fees: 9 am to 5.30 pm (closed on Sundays) at INR 50 per person.
- How to reach Don Bosco Museum: An auto-rickshaw will take you to Don Bosco Museum from Shillong Bus Stand in about 10 minutes.
Top-selling tour packages
Phan Nonglait Park – Japanese Style Park
With exotic fauna and flora, Phan Nonglait Park is among the major places to visit in Shillong and Cherrapunji near Police Bazar. This park was formerly called Lady Hydari Park, named after the first lady of the Governor of Assam.
The park has ponds and a zoo where you can witness Himalayan Black Bears, Leopards, Porcupines, and deer. Peaceful surroundings and beautifully manicured lawns with orchids and rhododendrons catch the attention of many travelers.
- Things to do at Phan Nonglait Park: Witness Himalayan Black Bears, see photos of rare species at the museum, visit Butterfly Park, play with tiny fishes.
- Best time to visit Phan Nonglait Park: March to June
- Phan Nonglait Park Timings and Fees: 9 am to 5.30 pm (closed on Sundays) at INR 50 per person.
- How to reach Phan Nonglait Park: Located 2 km from Police Bazar, it will only take 7 to 8 minutes to reach the park by taxi or an auto-rickshaw.
Khasi Heritage Village – Traditional Lifestyle of Khasi Tribes
To experience the lifestyle of the tribes of Meghalaya, there is no better place than Khasi Heritage Village. A tour of this village will showcase how the tribes live, and their style of bedrooms, kitchens, and storehouses. It will be a great insight for you, and you can also see the artifacts, tools, traditional daily and occasional items, and weapons used by the Khasis.
There is also a long suspension bridge with an amphitheater that shows documentaries and organized stage shows during the Monolith Festival. So, if this interests you, visit Khasi Heritage Village and see Khasi’s musical talent.
- Things to do at Khasi Heritage Village: Witness the items used by tribes, the documentaries at the amphitheater, the musical talent of the Khasi people and attend the Monolith Festival.
- Best time to visit Khasi Heritage Village: March to June
- Khasi Heritage Village Timings and Fees: 8 am to 6 pm at INR 20 per person. INR 20 for the camera.
- How to reach Khasi Heritage Village: It is located approx. 27 km away from Shillong town and a cab ride will take 1 hour to get here. The village is situated opposite Mawphlang Sacred Forest.
Police Bazar – Heaven for Shopaholics
Love shopping? Police Bazar is one of the best shopping places to visit in Shillong city. Along with getting your hands on apparel, souvenirs, and local handicrafts, there are a number of restaurants like Jiva Sizzlers and City Hut, which are known for their lip-smacking snacks. Though it is the busiest place in Shillong, your tour will not be completed without a visit here.
From groceries to winter clothing, beauty kits to bags and shoes, there are many things to buy from Police Bazar. Glory’s Plaza, Megha Emporium and Khasi Emporium, and State-owned Emporiums are the most famous shops to buy things to take back home as memories.
- Things to do at Police Bazar: Shopping, savoring local foods, buying organic farm produce items.
- Best time to visit Police Bazar: March to June, October to February
- Police Bazar Timings and Fees: 8 am to 10 pm at zero charges.
- How to reach Police Bazar: Hire a taxi or cab to reach the Police Bazar. It is well laid out in the form of a big circle locally called Chowk and is connected to seven different roads.
Meghalaya State Museum – Experience Cultural Diversity
Meghalaya State Museum is a must-visit tourist place in Shillong for history buffs. The museum displays a huge collection of artifacts belonging to the tribal era and also has a vast collection of ancient scriptures. It is a cultural museum that provides visitors with information about the tribes of Meghalaya.
Also known as Captain Williamson Sangma State Museum, the museum is set within the complex of State Central Library at Lachumiere and is maintained by the state govt. Come here to witness traditional tools, jewelry, musical instruments, and dinosaur models.
- Things to do at Meghalaya State Museum: Witness tribal artifacts, see the musical instruments and tools, visit the State Central Library.
- Best time to visit Meghalaya State Museum: March to June, October to February
- Meghalaya State Museum Timings and Fees: 10 am to 4 pm (closed on Saturdays & Sundays) at INR 5 per person.
- How to reach Meghalaya State Museum: You can take a taxi to Meghalaya State Museum, as it is located around 2.7 km from the Shillong Bus Stand (10 min).
Also check-out Top 10 Not To Miss-Out Places in Meghalaya
Mary Help for Christian Cathedral – Striking Architecture
This Catholic Church is one of the top religious places in Shillong. If you love admiring the unique and brilliant architecture, Mary Help for Christian Cathedral is a must-visit tourist place in Shillong. The church is a great example of Gothic Revival architecture and thus, lures people from various cities.
Founded in 1936, the church is located atop a hill and offers serene views and spirituality. You will love to witness the stained glass, the tall arches, and amazing artwork showcasing the scenes from the Holy Scriptures.
- Things to do at Mary Help for Christian Cathedral: Admire the architecture, sit in silence, witness views atop a hill.
- Best time to visit Mary Help for Christian Cathedral: March to June
- Mary Help for Christian Cathedral Timings and Fees: 7 am to 6.30 pm with zero charges.
- How to reach Mary Help for Christian Cathedral: Walk to the Don Bosco Road. You can also take a cab from the Police Bazar located around 3 km away via Hopkinson Road.
David Scott Trail – Perfect for Thrill-Seekers
Love hiking? Head on David Scott Trail as it is one of the incredible places to visit in Shillong in December. This is a 16 km trekking trail that invites all thrill-seekers for a memorable time in Shillong. Moreover, it is one of the most popular adventure activities to indulge in or around Shillong town.
David Scott Trail is a section of the horse-cart track that a British Administrator called David Scott built. Now, many adventure lovers come here to satiate their travel desires. While trekking here, you will come across some splendid waterfalls, streams of crystal clear waters, dense forest groves, and picturesque valleys.
- Things to do at David Scott Trail: Trek through forests, witness waterfalls & valleys, connect with nature.
- Best time to visit David Scott Trail: October to February
- David Scott Trail Timings and Fees: 6 am to 8 pm with zero charges.
- How to reach David Scott Trail: The trek starts from the village Mawphlang, approx. 25 km from Shillong. You can take a shared vehicle from Bada Bazar or a private cab to reach here. The trail ends at Lad Mawphlang near Cherrapunji.
Sweet Falls – Sounds of the Chirping Birds
Escape the hustle-bustle of Shillong town and drive to the beautiful Sweet Falls with your special ones. It is one of the most mesmerizing places to visit in Shillong for couples to enjoy a peaceful environment. Also, families can enjoy a picnic and bond together in nature.
Located at 94 meters, Sweet Falls in Shillong is visited by many locals for its verdant greenery and the sounds of the chirping birds. Visit this fall located approx. 5 km from Happy Valley in Shillong. Don’t forget to visit the Butterfly Park and Zoo here.
- Things to do at Sweet Falls: Enjoy the peace, picnic, visit Butterfly Park and Zoo.
- Best time to visit Sweet Falls: October to February
- Sweet Falls Timings and Fees: Sunrise to Sunset at INR 70 for vehicle parking.
- How to reach Sweet Falls: Take a taxi from Police Bazar located approx. 12 km from Sweet Falls.
Best Mehglaya Tour Packages
Air Force Museum – Ideal for Patriotic Souls
Learn about India’s defense history at the Air Force Museum in Shillong. Located within the complex of Eastern Air Command, this museum is one of the best tourist places to visit in Shillong Meghalaya for all those patriotic souls.
The museum displays a collection of aircraft models, miniature models of missiles, rockets, pilots’ uniforms, machinery, and technology of the Indian Air Force-Eastern Command. Not only will this, but you will also be able to see the pictures of the Indo-China war and the Indo-Pak war. Truly, this is one of those places in Shillong that will leave you captivated.
- Things to do at Air Force Museum: Witness models of missiles & aircraft, learn about Indian Air Force-Eastern Command history, and see the rare pictures of wars between India, China, and Pakistan.
- Best time to visit Air Force Museum: October to February
- Air Force Museum Timings and Fees: 9.30 am to 2 pm, 2.30 pm to 5 pm (closed on Wednesdays & Sundays) at zero charges.
- How to reach Air Force Museum: Hire a taxi from Police Bazar and embark on a journey on NH 106 to reach the Air Force Museum.
Quite intriguing, right? Shillong is a gem of a place dotted with whatever you can imagine – falls, museums, lakes, shopping markets, religious places, and more. So why wait? Pack your travel bags, grab your loved ones, and travel to the Abode of Clouds to explore the best places to visit in Shillong. Plan a trip to Shillong with Indian Holiday and make your sightseeing experience unforgettable. Meals, transfers, stay, and sightseeing included!
Quite intriguing, right? Shillong is a gem of a place dotted with whatever you can imagine – falls, museums, lakes, shopping markets, religious places, and more. So why wait? Pack your travel bags, grab your loved ones, and travel to the Abode of Clouds to explore the best places to visit in Shillong. Then, plan a trip to Shillong with Indian Holiday and make your sightseeing experience unforgettable. Meals, transfers, stay, and sightseeing are included! So, book now!