Rose Festival in Chandigarh 2021(Last Updated 05 Aug, 2021)
28/02/2021 - 01/03/2021
"Fair flower, that dost so comely grow,
Hid in this silent, dull retreat,
Untouched thy honied blossoms blow,
Unseen thy little branches greet;
No roving foot shall crush thee here,
No busy hand provoke a tear." ~ Philip Freneau
Rose Festival is one of the prime events in Chandigarh. Chandigarh is a centre of commerce or various Botanical products and the Rose Garden is specially the most reputed for the exquisite varieties of Roses that are on exhibition. 30 acres of land is allotted for the Rose Garden and every year festivals are held at this place for the exhibition of the Roses that bloom in the garden of Chandigarh.
The idea of the Rose Festival was actually planned by Mohinder Singh Randhwa thereby reflecting his interest in Horticulture and Gardening. Every year at the end of February and the beginning of March, the Rose Festival is organized in Chandigarh and is visited by 20,000 people from across the country. Not just the Rose Festival but many cultural events are organized in Chandigarh.
Rose Festival Dates 2021
Festival Starts on - 28 February 2021 Festival Ends on - 1 March 2021
Where is the Rose Festival Celebrated?
This annual festival takes place at the Zakir Hussain Rose Garden in Chandigarh. It is located in Sector 16 of Chandigarh.
Entry Ticket for Rose Festival
The entry is free.
How will the Rose Festival be celebrated in 2021?
In the wake of the pandemic, the Chandigarh Municipal Corporation has decided to withdraw the idea of hosting the Rose Festival in Chandigarh this year. There will be no events, children’s shows, musical performances, and other attractions, which usually gather huge crowds. Instead, the civic body will be “symbolically” planning the event to award sanitization employees, doctors, sweepers, and other frontline workers who helped the society during COVID times. This firm decision was taken at a meeting held at the General House of Municipal Corporation where maximum councilors raised concerns over the event. Chandigarh MC will also keep a specific amount for improving the Rose Garden. And will soon create a committee to discuss the matter and the restricted amount of amenities at the garden.
Chandigarh Rose Festival is celebrated solely to draw the locals as well as tourists like you towards nature. This helps them to know it’s significance and gratitude towards it. An excellent diversity of roses like tea rose, climber rose, green rose, miniature rose, and more are on display for you to see.
Here are some of the fun things to do at the festival -
Enjoy the city views on a Helicopter ride
- Chandigarh city views can be enjoyed by the locals on a helicopter during the festival for a unique experience.
- Cost of helicopter ride - INR 1700 per person
Have fun at the Children’s Zone
- Several swings and rides are available at the Children’s Zone for kids’ entertainment.
Dance to the Punjabi Beats
- A cultural musical night is organized in the evening with live Punjabi music. It features some of the popular artists of Punjab like Ammy Virk, Gurnam Bhullar, and Satinder Sartaaj.
Venue - Open Ground, Opposite Museum and Art Gallery, Sector 10, Chandigarh.
Tickets - The event passes can be obtained at Tourist Information Centers at Garden of Palms, Sukhna Lake, Plaza-17, and Capital Complex.
Treat yourself to delicious cuisines
- Satiate your taste buds and enjoy delicious foods from multiple cuisines. There are many food stalls lined up to serve all the foodies.
Competitions to keep you entertained
- Apart from the rose display and the events, there are several competitions planned to keep the visitors entertained. If you win, you can get amazing prizes.
Some of the competitions held at the Rose Festival are -
- Mr. Rose and Miss Rose competition
- Traditional dance competitions
- Short skits/plays
- Flower cutting and arrangement contests
- Dog Show
- Floral hat competition
- Kite flying competition
- Newly-wed couple competition
- Craft exhibition and competition
- Bollywood music show
- Photography and on the spot painting competition
- Brass and pipe band competition
- Rose Quiz
So, pack up for the next gala event at Chandigarh and make sure to visit the Rose Carnival so that like Emerson you would say, "The roses under my window make no reference to former roses or better ones; they are what they are; they exist with God today. There is no time for them. There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence."