Kheer Bhawani Temple is a celebrated Hindu shrine near Srinagar's Tulla Mulla Village. It receives thousands of Hindu devotees and is a highly revered site for Kashmiri Pandits. The temple is dedicated to Kheer Bhawani, an incarnation of Hindu Goddess Parvati. Also, the temple is situated above a sacred spring, which changes its colors.
Kheer Bhawani Temple was initially called Bhawani Mandir, but because of the famous Indian dessert kheer, its name was changed to Kheer Bhawani. Also, the goddess has many names as it is a custom with most Hindu deities and is called Maharagya Devi, Ragnya Bhagwati, Ragnya Devi, and Rajni. It is one of the most popular pilgrimage sites in Srinagar that receives heavy footfalls of pilgrimage from the different corners of the country.
Here is the information you need about Kheer Bhawani Temple in Srinagar
- Location:Near Srinagar, Tulla Mulla Village
- Type of Destination:Pilgrimage site
- Opening Hours of Kheer Bhawani Temple: 6 AM to 8 PM (every day)
- Entry Fees of Kheer Bhawani Temple:Nil
- Duration:2 - 3 hours
History of Kheer Bhawani Temple
In 1912, Maharaja Pratap Singh built this temple; years later, Maharaja Hari Singh renovated it. The shrine also has a hexagonal spring and a small marble shrine where the idol of the goddess is placed.
Legend Kheer Bhawani Temple
There is a legend behind this temple. According to it, Lord Rama worshipped the goddess during his 14 years of exile. He desires to shift the holy seat to Shadipora, which Lord Hanuman then fulfilled. Soon, the temple was installed at its present site, and the goddess appeared in the dreams of a local pandit, Rugnath Gadroo.
Significance Kheer Bhawani Temple
Another exciting thing about Kheer Bhawani Temple is that devotees gather here and observe fasts on the eighth day of the full moon in May. This is because people believe that the goddess changes the colors of the spring, and if it changes to black, it means a bad omen that would eventually bring disaster to the valley.
Leading fairs and yagnas are organized annually during Navratris, also a huge attraction among devotees. For a rich cultural experience, visit during the time of Shukla Paksha Ashtami, when havans are performed in Kheer Bhawani Temple.
Best time to visit Kheer Bhawani Temple
April to October is the best time to visit Kheer Bhawani Temple in terms of weather. But if you want to attend the Mela Kheer Bhawani, plan a visit in June.
How to reach Kheer Bhawani Temple
- By Air- You can fly to Srinagar Airport from Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Amritsar, Chandigarh, and other major cities. It is the nearest airport and is located approx. 33 km from Kheer Bhawani Temple. Buses or taxis can be hired from the airport to reach the temple.
- By Train- The nearest railway station to the temple is at Jammu, 8 km from Kheer Bhawani Temple. You can hire a bus or taxi to reach the temple.
- By Road - You can find many buses from Srinagar and Jammu to Ganderbal district, where the temple is located.
You can visit this temple during your Srinagar holiday and get a blessing from Goddess Parvati. To make your holiday experience easy-going and comfortable, you can book a well-curated Srinagar tour package that you can modify as per your desires. For more information, contact our tour experts who will help you plan an unforgettable holiday.