Featured in Bollywood movies like Jab We Met, Black, and Bang Bang, Shimla, a snowy magical land, is one of the top places to visit in India in December. Plus, there are some of the best places to visit in Shimla in December.
India has a few places where you can truly enjoy a winter vacation and is blessed with a unique charm among which lies the Queen of Hills, Shimla. It boasts the perfect winter weather that adds more charm to your vacation.
Whether be it taking a honeymoon trip to Shimla or a Shimla family vacation, the views of lofty peaks with a cup of hot coffee and an extensive list of places to explore in Shimla in winter gives you an everlasting experience.
Top Places To Visit In Shimla in December
If you wish to take your winter vacations in a snowy land, put Shimla on top of your “winter travel bucket list”.
- The Ridge of Shimla
- Jakhoo Hill
- Viceregal Lodge
- Kiala Forest
- Shaily Peak
- Scandal Point
- Mall Road, Shimla
- Kalka-Shimla Toy Train
- Johnnie’s Wax Museum
- Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary
Wait! Before we begin! Here is a question that might be in your mind –
Is December a good time to visit Shimla?
Do you love snowfall? Adventure? Nature? Relaxation? Then, yes December is a good time to visit Shimla. It is the perfect month to plan your Shimla trip and treat your eyes to the exceptional beauty of this winter wonderland.
To add to that, the Christmas celebrations in Shimla are immaculate and are something you cannot afford to miss. Just imagine Shimla decked up with glittering lights while the land is covered with sheets of snow. Exquisite! Isn’t it?
Also, the temperature in Shimla in December remains around an average of 4°C, making it the best time to visit Shimla for snowfall. The snow-related activities in Shimla during December are perfect for adventure seekers to spend their holiday.
Now that you have your reasons and answer to your question, let’s jump right into the Shimla tourist places you must visit during the winters.
1. The Ridge of Shimla – Shop Your Heart Out
Let your Shimla tour begin with a visit to the Ridge in Shimla. An open space serving as a hangout place, the Ridge is among the top places to explore in Shimla in December. The entire place is covered in snow and walking on the sheets of white will provide you with the ultimate experience.
Witness the lofty peaks while shopping at the cute shops on the Ridge. This description doesn’t do justice to how beautiful this place looks in winter. If you love shopping, get your hands on some good-quality mufflers, caps, and mittens.
Fun things to do at the Ridge in December:
- Check out the old monuments at the Ridge.
- Visit the 1910-built library.
- Pay a visit to the Neo-Gothic Church built-in 1844.
- Witness the magnificent peaks.
- Seek blessings at the Kali Bari Temple.
- Stroll around the Lakkar Bazaar.
- Discover new flavors at the eateries.
- Shop your heart out at the small shops.
Plan a winter holiday with Shimla tour packages.
2. Annandale – Learn more about Shimla’s Past
Lush green in summers, Annandale turns into a snow utopia in winters. Once a racecourse, Annandale is now actively used as a helipad and an army playground. If you have a thing for history, there is no better place to visit in Shimla in winters than this.
Dating back to 1840, Annandale served as a recreation park for the Britishers. It was a popular venue for hosting polo matches, dog and flower shows, and some fancy fairs. Later, with some expansion and improvement, the ground was used for cricket tournaments too. Today, if you visit here, you will see matchless beauty and a military museum that will take you back to the times gone by.
Also Check Out These Shimla Tours:
Fun things to do at Annandale in December:
- Plan a fun day outing and enjoy a picnic with your loved ones.
- Play with the snow and have an exhilarating snowball fight.
- If you are an avid photographer, get some amazing shots of the place.
- Visit the military museum to gain an insight into Annandale’s past.
3. Jakhoo Hill – Say Hi to the Monkeys
As Jakhoo Temple is situated here, you can see a lot of monkeys roaming around eating, and just chilling in the cold weather. More than 100 feet tall, Jakhoo Temple is one of the most famous places to visit in Shimla in December. The celebrations of Dussehra at Jakhoo Temple are widely known and lure a large number of tourists every year.
To reach here, you need to take up a 30-minute hike amidst the snow-covered area where magnificent views will welcome you. Want a tip? Carry a wooden stick with you to keep monkeys away. But you can always say hi to them from far before you enter the temple to seek Lord Hanuman’s blessings. Right?
Fun things to do at Jakhoo Hill in December:
- Enjoy the 30-minutes trek to the hill.
- From the top, capture some incredible pictures.
- Offers prayers to Lord Hanuman at Jakhoo Temple.
- Spend time admiring the breathtaking views from the hill.
4. Viceregal Lodge – Admire the Exquisite Architecture
On your Shimla winter tour, you have to visit Viceregal Lodge. After all, it is among the must-visit places in Shimla in December. Now the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, this tourist attraction, back in the day was used as a retreat for India’s Viceroys during the Raj.
Witness the well-maintained lawns with awe and sit for a cup of hot coffee at a small cafeteria present on the premises. If you wish, you can opt for guided tours that are organized every hour at a reasonable fee. How will it benefit you? Well, you are given in-depth information about the exquisite architecture, the furniture, and of course, the glorious history.
Fun things to do at Viceregal Lodge in December:
- Admire the impressive architecture of the building.
- Roam around the lawns and soak in the natural charm.
- Learn more about the lodge’s history.
- Click some amazing pictures of Viceregal Lodge.
5. Mashobra – Engage in Thrilling Adventures
How can you visit Shimla and not indulge in any adventure sports? A secluded town in the Shimla district, Mashobra is one of the top places to visit in Shimla in December for adventure junkies. Pump up your adrenaline by partaking in thrilling snow sports like skiing and snowboarding.
If not into adventure, worry not, peace and tranquility can also be seen at their best at Mashobra in December. And what brings tourists to this place in Shimla is its impressive height of 7040 feet where the snowfall is truly the best thing you can experience.
Get customizable tours to Shimla with IHPL.
Fun things to do in Mashobra in December:
- Bike on the challenging roads.
- Camp amidst the snow.
- Shali Tibba in Mashobra offers a great trekking experience.
- Test your strength by indulging in rappelling.
- Help your kids build a snowman.
- Indulge in thrilling skiing.
- Play snow fight for a fun time with loved ones.
6. Narkanda – Ski on the White Sheets of Snow
It doesn’t matter whether you are a pro or a novice, the idea is to have the best skiing experience in Narkanda. Don’t you think? Among the best places near Shimla in December is Narkanda. It is an adventure seeker’s heaven as it is home to the most stunning ski resort.
Drive to this winter wonderland in the hills located two hours drive away from Shimla. You will be mesmerized by the breathtaking views that Mashobra offers. From learning how to ski to becoming a pro at this sport, you can experience all of it here!
Fun things to do in Narkanda in December:
- Have fun skiing on the snow-covered slopes.
- Enjoy a village trek in Narkanda.
- Indulge in rock rappelling.
- Explore Narkanda on a jeep safari tour.
7. Kiala Forest – Spend Time in Peaceful Environs
Refresh your soul with the pure air at Kiala Forest in Shimla during December. If you want to explore offbeat places, Kiala Forest is one of the best places to visit in Shimla in December. In winters, Kiala Forest offers the undaunted beauty of nature that blankets this location.
Want to be away from the crowds? Visit Kiala Forest and spend time in nature, which will ultimately destress and soothe your mind. There is something about nature, isn’t it? Moreover, if you are into photography, Kiala Forest can provide the best backdrop in Shimla.
Fun things to do in Kiala Forest in December:
- Spend time in solitude.
- Embrace the peaceful environment.
- Couples can take a romantic walk in silence.
- Treat your eyes to the stunning beauty that surrounds the forest.
8. Kufri – Ride a Yak with Magnificent Mountain Views
Mother Nature does its best in Kufri to amaze onlookers at every turn. Don’t believe it? Well, words can not do justice to the beauty of this place near Shimla. Located just 16 km away from the hill station, Kufri is one of the most stunning places to visit in Shimla in winter for family, which offers the best time for adventure seekers and nature lovers.
The weather, views, and activities, you name it, you have it. Horse riding, skiing, and ice skating are some of the best things to do in Kufri in December. Avid trekker? You can feel your blood rushing as you embark on a trek in Kufri. For a fulfilling experience, you can visit the top tourist attractions in Kufri. Picnic and tobogganing along the snow-blanketed slopes are activities you must enjoy in Kufri for a thrilling experience.
Fun things to do in Kufri in December:
- Enjoy a yak ride.
- Ski on the snow-covered slopes.
- Explore the Main Bazaar Road.
- See the wild animals of the Himalayas at the Himalayan Nature Park.
- Visit the amusement park, Kufri Fun World.
- Trek to Mahasu Peak, the highest point in the region.
9. Shaily Peak – Breathtaking Vistas of Snow-Capped Mountains
Heard of it before? If not, plan a trip to Shaily Peak in Shimla! You can explore this less crowded place in Shimla in December and have the most spectacular experience. On your trip to Shimla, plan an excursion to Naldhera and delight yourself in nature’s artistic views.
The best part is driving to this place, which is only possible by a pony ride or a ride on a motorable road. How fun does that sound? Also, there is a steep trail, which takes you to Shaily Peak. Adventure lover? You can indulge yourself in hiking and trekking opportunities available here.
Fun things to do at Shaily Peak in December:
- Hike or trek on the snow-covered slopes.
- Ride through the motorable road while witnessing incredible mountain views.
- Spend time in nature and soak in the tranquility.
- Ride a pony to reach Shaily Peak.
10. Scandal Point – Learn the Mystery Behind this Name
The folktale that says the king of Patiala, Bhupinder Singh, and Viceroy’s loving daughter who eloped from here, makes this point scandalous; hence, the name. Well, you can hear these stories from the locals.
Scandal Point is right at the spot where the famous Ridge and the Mall Road of Shimla converge. And in winters, the beauty of this place covered in white fluff seems surreal. And with such an interesting story latched to it, Scandal Point is all about love and romance. And therefore, it is considered one of the best places to visit in Shimla in December for honeymoon couples.
Fun things to do at Scandal Point in December:
- Stroll on the street hand-in-hand with your better half.
- Enjoy horse-riding.
- Sit in a café for a quick warm meal.
- Buy souvenirs to bring back home as mementos.
11. Mall Road – Venture on a Shopping Spree
If you haven’t heard about Mall Road in Shimla, you are living under a rock! Take a short break to Shimla in December and visit one of the best tourist places in Shimla, Mall Road. Located at the heart of the city, it is an excellent source of entertainment for tourists of all ages. It has become a hub for locals to chill with their friends, family, or beloved.
Enjoying the laidback vibes while sitting in a cute café with a cup of your coffee is one of the best things to do in Shimla. Along with this, find a striking combo of traditional culture with lofty peaks and vibrant history. Satisfy your appetite with lip-smacking delicacies at the fine-dining restaurants, clubs, and bars. Do not forget to get your hands on handicrafts products with Pashmina Shawls and Tibetan Carpets.
Fun things to do at the Mall Road Shimla in December:
- Watch the mesmerizing sunset at Scandal Point.
- Visit the Town Hall.
- Offer prayers at the Kali Bari Temple.
- Spend your evening at the Gaiety Theater.
- Trek to Jakhoo Temple.
- Indulge in shopping.
- Enjoy horse-riding.
12. Kalka-Shimla Toy Train – Experience the Bliss of Nature
Of all the places to visit in December in Shimla, the Kalka- Shimla toy train ride might be the most magical experience of all time. You can witness the bliss of nature while passing through the splendid snowflakes around offering scenic, misty views. Not to mention, the Kalka-Shimla toy train was started in 1903 and has now been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
This scenic toy train consists of five trains namely Rail Motor, Shimla Express, Himayalan Queen, Shivalik Deluxe, and Shimla Kalka passenger. During summers, due to a significant amount of increase in tourist traffic, two special holiday trains also operate on this route. So, next time you are in Shimla, take this ride on the Kalka-Shimla toy train for a pleasurable experience.
Fun things to do on Kalka-Shimla Toy Train in December:
- Witness the stunning white wonderland out of the window.
- View the mighty peaks in full glory.
- Have a fun time with your loved ones.
- 8 Beautiful Train Journeys in India for Lifetime Experiences
- Kalka-Shimla Rail Boasts of its First Europe-Like Vistadome Coach
13. Johnnie’s Wax Museum – Click Pictures with Iconic Personalities
Mood for exploring something unconventional in Shimla? Visit Johnnie’s Wax Museum for a unique experience. Also, why go to London when you get can the equally fascinating attraction in Shimla? This is the first wax museum in Himachal Pradesh where you can spend hours clicking pictures with the life-size statues of world-famous personalities.
From Bollywood actor Aamir Khan to our Prime Minister Narendra Modi, you will find all of them here. Truly, this is one of the best places to visit in Shimla during December month. The best part? Johnnie’s Wax Museum in Shimla also lets tourists get a wax replica of their hand to make their Shima winter holiday unforgettable.
Fun things to do at Johnnie’s Wax Museum in December:
- Get clicked with iconic public figures.
- Witness the sports stars, music pop stars, and real-life heroes.
- Get a replica of your hand.
Also Read: Best Things to Do in Shimla
14. Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary – Spot the Himalayan Bear
Wish to explore the wildlife in Shimla? You can visit Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary, which is one of the offbeat places to visit in Shila in December. Came into existence in 1974, Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary is spread across an area of 39.4 sq. km.
Enjoy trekking through the forests and rugged terrains and explore the exotic flora and fauna that it preserves. Himalayan Bear, barking deer, and leopards are some of the animals that can be spotted at this sanctuary.
Fun things to do at Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary in December:
- Spot wild animals including Himalayan bears.
- Trek through the deep forests and rugged terrains.
- Enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- Take walk on the snow-covered land.
15. Rohru – Explore the Apple Orchards
Rohru is also known as the ‘Apple Valley’ as it is famed for its high-quality apples. In fact, its apple production is more than in any other area and has created a buzz in the whole of Himachal Pradesh. Thanks to its location, it is one of the lesser-known places to visit near Shimla in December. You can enjoy the cool winds, snow fights, and peaceful environment.
On your visit to Rohru near Shimla, you can indulge in various activities like trout fishing, trekking, and more that will keep you entertained. As the town gets whitewashed with snow, the splendid views of Rohru will make your Shimla trip in winter memorable.
Fun things to do in Rohru in December:
- Enjoy trout fishing.
- If you are an adventure lover, enjoy trekking, paragliding, and hand gliding.
- Check out Shikru Devta Temple, Dodra, and the Chanshal Range around Rohru.
Tips for visiting Shimla in December
- For the best experience, the ideal duration for a winter vacation in Shimla will be 2-3 nights.
- Wildflower Hall, Snow Valley Resorts, and Clarkes Hotel are some of the top hotels you can stay in Shimla in December.
- You must check out the top places to eat like Café Sol, Café Simla Times, and Wake and Bake.
- Before you commence on the trip, check out the weather conditions.
- Pack warm clothes. Jackets, mufflers, caps, warm socks, gloves, etc. are a must.
- In case of emergency, carry essential medicines with you.
- Carry a good-quality camera to capture the picturesque landscapes of Shimla in winter.
- For a more hassle-free trip, book Shimla tour packages for December with us.
Plan a trip to Shimla in winter and witness the exquisite beauty that had made many globetrotters around the world go crazy. Explore the best places to visit in Shimla in December and make thousands of memories with your loved ones.
The majestic mountain views, the fluffy snow, and the thrilling adventures will make your winter holiday in Shimla an everlasting experience.
So why wait? Book your Shimla holiday with Indian Holiday Pvt. Ltd. for a hassle-free and memorable trip!