Have you ever thought of waking up amidst the brisk Himalayan air, with the essence of the snow-clad peaks enveloping you? Exciting… Right? Turn your thoughts into reality in Shimla, popularly known as the ‘Queen of Hills.’ Awaken to the views of the lofty peaks with a cup of hot coffee and embrace the surroundings.
This magical land is one of the top places to visit in India in December. You’ll witness this winter wonderland blanketed in snow and adorned with festive cheer during this time of year. India has a few places where you can truly enjoy a winter vacation and is blessed with a unique charm, among which lies this city.
Whether exploring historical sites, engaging in winter sports, or simply savoring the festive atmosphere, these 15 places offer a diverse and enchanting experience in the lap of the Himalayas.
Top Places To Visit In Shimla in December
If you wish to take your winter vacations in a frosty land, put Shimla on top of your “winter travel bucket list”.
- Jakhu Hill
- Shaily Peak
- Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary
- Viceregal Lodge
- Kalka-Shimla Toy Train
- Scandal Point
- Kiala Forest
- Mall Road, Shimla
- Chadwick Waterfall
- The Ridge of Shimla
Wait! Before we begin! Here is a question that might be in your mind – Is December a good time to visit Shimla?
Do you love snowfall? Adventure? Nature? Relaxation? Then, yes December is the best time to visit Shimla. It is the perfect month to plan your Shimla trip and treat your eyes to the exceptional beauty of this winter wonderland.
To add to that, the Christmas celebrations in Shimla are immaculate and are something you cannot afford to miss. Just imagine Shimla decked up with glittering lights while the land is covered with sheets of snow. Exquisite! Isn’t it?
Also, the temperature in Shimla in December remains around an average of 4°C, making it the best time to visit Shimla for snowfall. The snow-related activities in Shimla during December are perfect for adventure seekers to spend their holiday
Now that you have your reasons and answer to your question, let’s jump right into the Shimla tourist places you must visit during the winters.
1. Kufri – Ride a Yak with Magnificent Mountain Views
Mother Nature does its best in Kufri to amaze onlookers at every turn. Don’t believe it? Well, words can not do justice to the beauty of this place near Shimla. Located just 16 km from the hill station, Kufri is one of the most stunning places in Shimla in winter for families, offering the best time for adventure seekers and nature lovers.
The weather, views, and activities, you name it, you have it. Horse riding, skiing, and ice skating are some of the best things to do in Kufri in December. Avid trekker? You can feel your blood rushing as you trek in Kufri. For a fulfilling experience, you can visit the top tourist attractions in Kufri. Picnic and tobogganing along the snow-blanketed slopes are activities you must enjoy in Kufri for a thrilling experience.
Fun things to do in Kufri in December:
- Enjoy a yak ride.
- Ski on the snow-covered slopes.
- Explore the Main Bazaar Road.
- See the wild animals of the Himalayas at the Himalayan Nature Park.
- Visit the amusement park, Kufri Fun World.
- Trek to Mahasu Peak, the highest point in the region.
2. Rohru – Explore the Apple Orchards
Rohru is also known as the ‘Apple Valley’ as it is famed for its high-quality apples. In fact, its apple production is more than in any other area and has created a buzz in the whole of Himachal Pradesh. Thanks to its location, it is one of the lesser-known places to visit near Shimla in December. You can enjoy the cool winds, snow fights, and peaceful environment.
On your visit to Rohru near Shimla, you can indulge in various activities like trout fishing, trekking, and more that will keep you entertained. As the town gets whitewashed with snow, the splendid views of Rohru will make your Shimla trip in winter memorable.
Fun things to do in Rohru in December:
- Enjoy trout fishing.
- If you are an adventure lover, enjoy trekking, paragliding, and hand gliding.
- Check out Shikru Devta Temple, Dodra, and the Chanshal Range around Rohru.
3. Narkanda – Ski on the White Sheets of Snow
It doesn’t matter whether you are a pro or a novice; the idea is to have the best skiing experience in Narkanda. Don’t you think? Among the best places near Shimla in December is Narkanda. It is an adventure seeker’s heaven as it is home to the most stunning ski resort.
Drive to this winter wonderland in the hills two hours from Shimla. You will be mesmerized by the breathtaking views that Mashobra offers. From learning how to ski to becoming a pro at this sport, you can experience it here!
Fun things to do in Narkanda in December:
- Have fun skiing on the snow-covered slopes.
- Enjoy a village trek in Narkanda.
- Indulge in rock rappelling.
- Explore Narkanda on a jeep safari tour.
4. Jakhu Hill – Say Hi to the Monkeys
As Jakhu Temple is situated here, you can see a lot of monkeys roaming around, eating, and just chilling in the cold weather. More than 100 feet tall, Jakhu Temple is one of the most famous places in Shimla in December. The celebrations of Dussehra at Jakhu Temple are widely known and lure many tourists every year.
To reach here, you must take a 30-minute hike amidst the snow-covered area where magnificent views will welcome you. Want a tip? Carry a wooden stick with you to keep monkeys away. But you can always say hi to them from far before you enter the temple to seek Lord Hanuman’s blessings. Right?
Fun things to do at Jakhu Hill in December:
- Enjoy the 30-minutes trek to the hill.
- From the top, capture some incredible pictures.
- Offers prayers to Lord Hanuman at Jakhu Temple.
- Spend time admiring the breathtaking views from the hill.
5. Mashobra – Engage in Thrilling Adventures
How can you visit Shimla and not indulge in any adventure sports? A secluded town in the Shimla district, Mashobra is one of the top places to visit in Shimla in December for adventure junkies. Pump up your adrenaline by partaking in thrilling snow sports like skiing and snowboarding.
If you are not into adventure, worry not; peace and tranquility can also be seen at their best at Mashobra in December. What brings tourists to this place in Shimla is its impressive height of 7040 feet, where the snowfall is truly the best thing you can experience.
Get customizable tours to Shimla with IHPL.
Fun things to do in Mashobra in December:
- Bike on the challenging roads.
- Camp amidst the snow.
- Shali Tibba in Mashobra offers a great trekking experience.
- Test your strength by indulging in rappelling.
- Help your kids build a snowman.
- Indulge in thrilling skiing.
6. Shaily Peak – Breathtaking Vistas of Snow-Capped Mountains
Heard of it before? If not, plan a trip to Shaily Peak in Shimla! You can explore this less crowded place in Shimla in December and have the most spectacular experience. On your trip to Shimla, plan an excursion to Naldehra and delight yourself in nature’s artistic views.
The best part is driving to this place, which is only possible by a pony ride or a ride on a motorable road. How fun does that sound? Also, there is a steep trail that takes you to Shaily Peak. Adventure lover? You can indulge yourself in hiking and trekking opportunities available here.
Fun things to do at Shaily Peak in December:
- Hike or trek on the snow-covered slopes.
- Ride through the motorable road while witnessing incredible mountain views.
- Spend time in nature and soak in the tranquility.
- Ride a pony to reach Shaily Peak.
7. Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary – Spot the Himalayan Bear
Do you wish to explore the wildlife in Shimla? You can visit Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary, one of the offbeat places in this region. Came into existence in 1974, Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary is spread across an area of 39.4 sq. km.
Enjoy trekking through the forests and rugged terrains and exploring the exotic flora and fauna it preserves. Himalayan bears, barking deer, and leopards are some animals that can be spotted at this sanctuary.
Fun things to do at Majathal Wildlife Sanctuary in December:
- Spot wild animals, including Himalayan bears.
- Trek through the deep forests and rugged terrains.
- Enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- Take a walk on the snow-covered land.
8. Viceregal Lodge – Admire the Exquisite Architecture
On your Shimla winter tour, you have to visit Viceregal Lodge. After all, it is among the must-visit places in Shimla in December. The Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, this tourist attraction, was a retreat for India’s viceroys during the Raj.
Witness the well-maintained lawns with awe and sit for a cup of hot coffee at a small cafeteria. If you wish, you can opt for guided tours organized every hour at a reasonable fee. How will it benefit you? Well, you are given in-depth information about the exquisite architecture, the furniture, and, of course, the glorious history.
Fun things to do at Viceregal Lodge in December:
- Admire the impressive architecture of the building.
- Roam around the lawns and soak in the natural charm.
- Learn more about the lodge’s history.
- Click some amazing pictures of Viceregal Lodge.
9. Kalka-Shimla Toy Train – Experience the Bliss of Nature
The Kalka- Shimla toy train ride might be the most magical experience of all the places. You can witness the bliss of nature while passing through the splendid snowflakes around you, offering scenic, misty views. Not to mention, the Kalka-Shimla toy train was started in 1903 and has now been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
This scenic toy train consists of five trains, namely Rail Motor, Shimla Express, Himalayan Queen, Shivalik Deluxe, and Shimla Kalka Passenger. Due to a significant increase in tourist traffic during summer, two special holiday trains also operate on this route. So, next time you are in Shimla, take this ride on the Kalka-Shimla toy train for a pleasurable experience.
Fun things to do on Kalka-Shimla Toy Train in December:
- Witness the stunning white wonderland out of the window.
- View the mighty peaks in full glory.
- Have a fun time with your loved ones.
- 8 Beautiful Train Journeys in India for Lifetime Experiences
- Kalka-Shimla Rail Boasts of its First Europe-Like Vistadome Coach
10. Scandal Point – Learn the Mystery Behind this Name
The folktale that says the king of Patiala, Bhupinder Singh, and the Viceroy’s loving daughter who eloped from here makes this point scandalous; hence, the name. Well, you can hear these stories from the locals.
Scandal Point is right at the spot where the famous Ridge and the Mall Road of Shimla converge. In winter, the beauty of this place covered in white fluff seems surreal. Moreover, with such an interesting story latched to it, Scandal Point is all about love and romance. Therefore, it is considered one of the best places to visit in Shimla in December for honeymoon couples.
Fun things to do at Scandal Point in December:
- Stroll on the street hand-in-hand with your better half.
- Enjoy horse-riding.
- Sit in a café for a quick warm meal.
- Buy souvenirs to bring back home as mementos.
11. Kiala Forest – Spend Time in Peaceful Environs
Refresh your soul with the pure air at Kiala Forest in Shimla during December. If you want to explore offbeat places, Kiala Forest is one of the best places in Shimla in December. In winter, Kiala Forest offers the undaunted beauty of nature that blankets this location.
Want to be away from the crowds? Visit Kiala Forest and spend time in nature, which will ultimately destress and soothe your mind. There is something about nature, isn’t it? Moreover, if you are into photography, Kiala Forest can provide the best backdrop in Shimla.
Fun things to do in Kiala Forest in December:
- Spend time in solitude.
- Embrace the peaceful environment.
- Couples can take a romantic walk in silence.
- Treat your eyes to the stunning beauty that surrounds the forest.
12. Mall Road – Venture on a Shopping Spree
If you haven’t heard about Mall Road in Shimla, you are living under a rock! Take a short break to Shimla in December and visit one of the best tourist places in Shimla, Mall Road. Located at the heart of the city, it is an excellent source of entertainment for tourists of all ages. It has become a hub for locals to chill with their friends, family, or loved ones.
Enjoying the laid back vibes while sitting in a cute café with a cup of coffee is one of the best things to do in Shimla. Also, find a striking combo of traditional culture with lofty peaks and vibrant history. Satisfy your appetite with lip-smacking delicacies at the fine-dining restaurants, clubs, and bars. Do not forget to get your hands on handicraft products with Pashmina Shawls and Tibetan Carpets.
Fun things to do at the Mall Road Shimla in December:
- Watch the mesmerizing sunset at Scandal Point.
- Visit the Town Hall.
- Offer prayers at the Kali Bari Temple.
- Spend your evening at the Gaiety Theater.
- Trek to Jakhoo Temple.
- Indulge in shopping.
- Enjoy horse-riding.
13. Chadwick Waterfalls – Nature’s Symphony in December
Have you ever heard the melodic tunes of Chadwick Waterfalls in Shimla during December? If not, it’s time to add this enchanting spot to your itinerary! Escape the crowds and engross yourself in the serene ambiance, creating a truly magical experience. Nestled in the lap of nature, the falls offer a captivating spectacle during the winter season.
Embark on a delightful journey, either on foot through a winding trail or opt for the excitement of a motorable road. The anticipation builds as you approach the falls, surrounded by the pristine beauty of the Himalayas. There’s a steep trail for adventurous souls, perfect for those seeking an adrenaline rush through hiking and trekking.
Fun things to do at Chadwick Waterfall in December:
- Traverse the Snow-Covered Trails.
- Enjoy a picturesque drive on the motorable road, treating yourself to breathtaking views of the majestic mountains.
- Spend quality time amidst nature’s serenity.
- Opt for a delightful pony ride to reach the enchanting Chadwick Waterfalls.
Also Read: Best Things to Do in Shimla
14. Annandale – Learn more about Shimla’s Past
Lush green in the summers, Annandale turns into a snow utopia in the winter. Once a racecourse, Annandale is now actively used as a helipad and an army playground. If you have a thing for history, there is no better place to visit in Shimla in winter than this.
Dating back to 1840, Annandale served as a recreation park for the Britishers. It was a popular venue for hosting polo matches, dog and flower shows, and some fancy fairs. Later, with some expansion and improvement, the ground was used for cricket tournaments too. Today, if you visit here, you will see matchless beauty and a military museum that will take you back to the times gone by.
Also Check Out These Shimla Tours:
Fun things to do at Annandale in December:
- Plan a fun day outing and enjoy a picnic with your loved ones.
- Play with the snow and have an exhilarating snowball fight.
- If you are an avid photographer, get some amazing shots of the place.
- Visit the military museum to gain an insight into Annandale’s past.
15. The Ridge of Shimla – Shop Your Heart Out
Let your Shimla tour begin with a visit to the Ridge in Shimla. An open space serving as a hangout place, the Ridge is among the top places to explore in Shimla in December. The entire area is covered in snow, and walking on the sheets of white will provide you with the ultimate experience.
Witness the lofty peaks while shopping at the local shops on the Ridge. This description doesn’t justify how beautiful this place looks in winter. If you love shopping, get good-quality mufflers, caps, and mittens.
Fun things to do at the Ridge in December:
- Check out the old monuments at the Ridge.
- Visit the 1910-built library.
- Pay a visit to the Neo-Gothic Church built-in 1844.
- Witness the magnificent peaks.
- Seek blessings at the Kali Bari Temple.
- Stroll around the Lakkar Bazaar.
- Discover new flavors at the eateries.
- Shop your heart out at the small shops.
Plan a winter holiday with Shimla tour packages.
Tips for visiting Shimla in December
- For the best experience, the ideal duration for a winter vacation in Shimla will be 2 to 3 nights.
- You must check out the top places to eat, like Café Sol, Café Simla Times, and Wake and Bake.
- Before you commence the trip, check out the weather conditions.
- Pack warm clothes. Jackets, mufflers, caps, warm socks, gloves, etc. are a must.
- In case of emergency, carry essential medicines with you.
- Carry a good-quality camera to capture the picturesque landscapes of Shimla in winter.
For a more hassle-free trip, book Shimla tour packages for December with us.
Plan a trip to Shimla in winter and witness the exquisite beauty that had made many globetrotters around the world go crazy. Explore the best places to visit in Shimla in December and make thousands of memories with your loved ones.
The majestic mountain views, the fluffy snow, and the thrilling adventures will make your winter holiday in Shimla an everlasting experience.
So why wait? Book your Shimla holiday with Indian Holiday Pvt. Ltd. for a hassle-free and memorable trip!