Summers can be exhausting and suck the energy out of you. Even the thought of leaving your home after sitting in front of the AC all day seems insufferable. Right? Wrong! This blog will change your perception of summers. Bet? Keep reading to find out the best places to visit near Bangalore in May.
The beautiful Western Ghats and pleasant weather of places near Bangalore are waiting to relieve you from the summer heat. Just one visit and these locations will revitalize your drained-out souls from the craziness in the bustling city.
Boasting hill stations, waterfalls, heritage sites, wildlife sanctuaries, adventure spots, you will find places to visit near Bangalore within 100, 200, 300 km. Ooty, Wayanad, Horsley Hills, Udupi, Bandipur National Park, and more will not only soothe your senses but also provide you with one of the best experiences of your life. Plan a one-day, two-days, or even three-day trip near Bangalore depending on how many you wish to explore.
Check out the top places to visit near Bangalore in May that will make the perfect weekend getaways.
Hill stations near Bangalore in May
Waterfalls near Bangalore in May
Adventure/trekking near Bangalore in May
Wildlife Sanctuaries near Bangalore in May
Hill stations near Bangalore in May
Coorg (248.1 km from Bangalore)
One of the best hill stations near Bangalore, Coorg is an amazing South Indian place to visit in May. The soothing weather and lush greenery of this hill station attract a lot of tourists from all over the county and make it an unmissable place on your trip to Karnataka.
If you are a coffee lover, then you have a solid reason to visit Coorg in May. After all, it is the largest coffee producer in India! So, what are you waiting for? Grab your loved ones and hit the road now.
- Ideal Duration: 3 days are enough to visit Coorg.
- Places to Visit in Coorg in May: Raja’s Seat, Madikeri Fort, Omkareshwara Temple, Raja’s Tomb, St. Michael’s Church, Shree Kanchi Kamakshi Temple
- Things to Do in Coorg in May: Camping, spending time at Abbey Falls, buy spices, ATV Biking Adventure, trekking, exploring elephant camp, river rafting, jeep trailing, explore the coffee plantations
How to Reach Coorg from Bangalore:
- By Car – There are 3 routes you can take to reach from Bangalore to Coorg. The Kushalnagar Route (via Mysore-Madikeri Highway), The Kushalnagar Route (via Mysore-Madikeri Highway), and The Kushalnagar Route (via Mysore-Madikeri Highway).
- By Bus – Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) runs direct buses on this route. From AC to non-AC, you can hire a state or private bus to reach Coorg.
- By Train – Coorg does not have a railway station, therefore, you need to board a train from Bangalore to Mysore. From there, you can take a bus or taxi to reach your destination.
Ooty (265.4 km from Bangalore)
When most places in India are hurling heat, Ooty provides you with relief from the summer heat. Located in the state of Tamil Nadu, Ooty is often referred to as ‘Queen of hill stations’ and offers a spectacle of lofty mountains, dense forests, tea gardens, and sprawling grasslands. Moreover, the picturesque landscapes and soothing atmosphere of Ooty put it on the list of best tourist places near Bangalore within 300 km.
- Ideal Duration: 2 days are enough to visit Ooty.
- Places to Visit in Ooty in May: Ooty Boat House, Ooty Lake, Government Botanical Garden, Government Rose Garden, St. Stephen’s Church, The Tea Factory and the Tea Museum, Thread Garden, Stone House Government Museum
- Things to Do in Ooty in May: Enjoy Nilgiri Toy Train Ride, indulge in hiking and trekking, boat ride in Pykara Lake, witness stunning views from Doddabetta Peak, check out Toda Hamlets
How to Reach Ooty from Bangalore:
- By Car – You can easily plan a road trip with your loved ones from Bangalore to Ooty via NH 275. The Mysore-Ooty road will freshen up your mind with scenic views.
- By Bus – Several buses operate on the Bangalore-Ooty route. You can choose from different seating options for a comfortable ride.
- By Train – You can take a train from Bangalore to Ooty’s Udhagamandalam railway station (also called Ooty railway station). After reaching, take a bus or taxi to Ooty.
Chikmagalur (243.2 km from Bangalore)
Want to pack and leave away from the sweltering summer weather? Then, plan a vacation to a Chikmagalur near Bangalore. Located at an altitude of 3,400 feet, Chikmagalur offers excellent views, pleasant weather, and fantastic adventure activities. This makes it one of the best places to visit in summer in May. On your visit to Chikmagalur, indulge in thrilling activities and sightseeing tours to make your trip more fun.
- Ideal Duration: 2 to 3 days are enough to visit Chikmagalur.
- Places to Visit in Chikmagalur in May: Kudremukh National Park, Mullayanagiri, Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary, Baba Budangiri, Jhari waterfalls
- Things to Do in Chikmagalur in May: Enjoy rafting in the Bhadra river, stroll in coffee plantations, witness the gushing waters of Manikyadhara Falls, shopping
How to Reach Chikmagalur from Bangalore:
- By Car – Chikmagalur is the perfect getaway from Bangalore and can be reached via NH75, via NH73, and via NH48.
- By Bus – You can easily find AC and non-AC seater and sleeper buses from Bangalore to Chikmagalur. Several state transport and private buses run on this route.
- By Train – The nearest railway station is at Kadur from Bangalore. From here, you can take a taxi or bus to your final destination.
Wayanad (271.2 km from Bangalore)
Kerala is blessed with numerous beautiful hill stations and Wayanad is no less. It is one of Kerala’s top hill stations and one of the top places to visit near Bangalore in May. Wayanad also makes a great weekend getaway from Bangalore.
During May, the weather here is extremely pleasant, which makes activities in Wayanad more enjoyable. Besides the fascinating Wayanad tourist places, it is known for its tea and coffee plantations. So, before you go back home, shop for the best quality pepper, coffee, tea, spices, and other condiments.
- Ideal Duration: 4 to 5 days are enough to visit Wayanad.
- Places to Visit in Wayanad in May: Chembra Peak, Banasura Sagar Dam, Kuruva Island, The Bamboo Factory, Jain Temple, Pookode Lake, Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary
- Things to Do in Wayanad in May: Explore Edakkal Cave, rest at Vythiri Village Resort, explore Wayanad spice plantation, witness elephants in Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary, seek inner peace at Thirunelli Temp
How to Reach Wayanad from Bangalore:
- By Car – Driving from Bangalore to Wanayad is one of the best options. Leave early to avoid heavy traffic.
- By Bus – Karnataka and Kerala State Road Transport Corporations run buses between Bangalore and Wayanad.
- By Train – There is no direct train from Bangalore to Wayanad. So, you can board the train from Yeshwantpur Junction in Bangalore to Kozhikode station in Kerala. And then completed the journey via bus or taxi.
Horsley Hills (148.9 km from Bangalore)
A lesser-known hill station among others, Horsley hills is perfect for a short escape from Bangalore. It is a popular destination among Bangaloreans who often plan a weekend trip to Horsley Hills from Bangalore.
From zoos to waterfalls, this hill station has plenty of sites to see. Also, if you are an adventure lover, then you cannot afford to miss out on this place. Visit here with friends or family and indulge in adrenaline-pumping adventure activities.
- Ideal Duration: 1 day is enough to visit Horsley Hills.
- Places to Visit in Horsley Hills in May: Gali Bandalu, View Points, Kalyani – The Eucalyptus Tree, Horsley Hills Zoo, Kaigal Falls, Mallamma Temple
- Things to Do in Horsley Hills in May: Rock climbing, rappelling, zorbing, archery, fish spa, crossing Burma Bridge, rope sliding
How to Reach Horsley Hills from Bangalore:
- By Car – You can easily plan a 3-hour road trip from Bangalore to Horsley Hills. Private taxis and cabs are also available.
- By Bus – Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation-run several buses, which makes your travel easy and comfortable.
- By Train – Madanapalle railway station is the nearest train station to Horsley Hills. From here, you can take a taxi to your desired location.
Waterfalls near Bangalore in May
Hogenakkal Falls (125 km from Bangalore)
One of the most beautiful waterfalls in India, Hogenakkal Falls is just a few kilometers away from Bangalore. Located in Tamil Nadu, these falls are also referred to as the ‘Niagara of India’ and leave you mesmerized with its beauty. When the Kaveri river reaches Tamil Nadu after making its way through Karnataka, it pours down the lofty mountains forming the Hogenakkal Falls. Also, the atmosphere around this waterfall is great to relax your mind in May’s heat.
- Timings: Sunrise to Sunset
- Boat charges: INR 500 per person
- Ideal Duration: 2 to 3 hours is enough to visit Hogenakkal Falls.
- Things to do in Hogenakkal Falls in May: Coracle ride, fishing, oil massage by local men on the banks of the river, photography
- Tip: Due to heavy water flow, It is not advisable to go swimming and bathing in Hogenakkal falls.
How to Reach Hogenakkal Falls from Bangalore:
- By Car – Plan a short road trip from Bangalore to Hogenakkal Falls and enjoy scenic views en route.
- By Bus – Regular bus services are available to Hogenakkal Falls from Bangalore. Dharmapuri Bus Stand and the Salem Bus Stand are the two closest bus stations.
- By Train – Dharmapuri railway station is the closest railway station to Hogenakkal. Taxis are easily available from outside it.
Shivanasamudra Falls (133.1 km from Bangalore)
If you are looking for a short escape during the May holidays, plan a one-day trip from Bangalore to Shivanasamudra Falls. They are among the most attractive falls in India and attract a lot of tourists in May. Kaveri gets divided into two parts – Gaganachukki and Bharachukki. Moreover, the first major power station in India, a 4.5-megawatt hydroelectric power station was set up near Shivasamudram falls of the Kaveri in Karnataka.
- Timings: 8 am to 4 pm
- Ideal Duration: 2-3 hours is enough to visit Shivanasamudra Falls.
- Things to do in Shivanasamudra Falls in May: Click lovely pictures of the waterfall, trek the mountains, fishing
- Tip: Do not jump into the water as it is very risky to go swimming here. Also, carry some snacks and water with you as good restaurants are a bit far from here.
How to Reach Shivanasamudra Falls from Bangalore:
- By Car – The easiest way to reach Shivanasamudra Falls from Bangalore is via Mysore road.
- By Bus – Take a direct bus from Bangalore to Mandya. From Mandya, take another bus to Malavalli. From here, you can hire a taxi to Shivanasamudra Falls.
- By Train – You can board a train from Bangalore to Chamarajanagar Railway Station. There are frequent trains from KSR Bengaluru Railway Station to Chamarajanagar. From here, take a taxi to Shivanasamudra Falls.
Talakona Waterfalls (233.6 km from Bangalore)
Along with being one of the highest waterfalls in Andhra Pradesh, Talakona waterfalls is also believed to have healing powers. Plan a short trip from Bangalore in May to this waterfall and get a respite from the summer heat. The lovely views of Talakona waterfalls will put you in a good mood. Apart from this, you can find a variety of endangered species near the waterfalls like sambar, porcupine, cheetah, golden gecko, Indian giant squirrel, and more.
- Timings: 7 am to 5 pm
- Ideal Duration: 1 to 2 hours is enough to visit Talakona Waterfalls.
- Things to do in Talakona Waterfalls in May: Trekking, photography, spend time in solitude
- Tip: You can also visit Tirupati Temple located approximately 60 km from Talakona Waterfalls.
How to Reach Talakona Waterfalls from Bangalore:
- By Car – If traveling by car, you can take NH75 and Punganur Pulicherla Chinnagottigallu Road towards Talakona Waterfalls.
- By Bus – Take a bus from Bangalore to Talakona Waterfalls. Several bus service providers operate buses on this route.
- By Train – You can board a train from Bangalore to Tirupati. From here, take a taxi or bus to Talakona Waterfalls.
Iruppu Falls (248 km from Bangalore)
Situated in Brahmagiri Hills between Srimangala and Kutta in Coorg district lies Iruppu Falls. It is not only one of the best waterfalls in Karnataka but also among the best places to visit near Bangalore in May.
You can easily plan a day trip from Bangalore and enjoy a wonderful time here. Moreover, the gushing stream will give you relief from the heat in May. According to the legend, when Lord Rama and his brother Lakshmana were out searching for Sita, Lakshamana shot an arrow at the Brahmagiri hills to get some drinking water.
- Timings: 8.30 am to 5.30 pm
- Entry Charges: INR 50 per person
- Ideal Duration: 3 hours is enough to visit Iruppu Falls.
- Things to do in Iruppu Falls in May: Capture the natural beauty, plan a picnic, stand in the cool water, visit river-side Rajeshwara Temple
- Tip: Wear proper clothes and apply mosquito repellent to avoid a rash.
How to Reach Iruppu Falls from Bangalore:
- By Car – Take NH4 from Bangalore to Iruppu Falls and enjoy scenic views on the way.
- By Bus – There are no direct buses that run on this route. However, you can hire a bus to Srimangala/Iruppu junction or Kaimani, and from there take a taxi to Iruppu Falls.
- By Train – The nearest railway station to Iruppu Falls is the Mysore railway station. From here, take a local bus to reach the location.
Hebbe Falls (292.7 km from Bangalore)
Cascading down from a height of 550 feet into two parts – Dodda Hebbe and Chikka Hebbe, this waterfall is created by the springs formed in the mountains. Hebbe Falls in May is a must-visit to soothe your mind and get away from the bustling city of Bangalore. People believe that these falls are infused with herbs and can also cure skin diseases. No wonder it is among the top Kemmanagundi tourist places and one of the famous places to visit near Bangalore.
- Timings: 6 am to 6 pm
- Jeep Charges: INR 400 per person, INR 3200 for 8 people
- Ideal Duration: 1 to 2 hours is enough to visit Hebbe Falls.
- Things to do in Hebbe Falls in May: Trekking, spot elephants and deer, visit Chowdeshwari Maha Shakthi Devathe
- Tip: There is not much network coverage at the falls, so make sure to do all the important calls/texts beforehand.
How to Reach Hebbe Falls from Bangalore:
- By Car – You can reach Hebbe Falls from Bangalore via NH48 and SH24.
- By Bus – There are many state-run and private buses that operate between Bangalore and Kemmanagundi. You can further take a cab to reach Hebbe Falls.
- By Train – The nearest railway station to Kemmanagundi is at Tarikere. From here, take a local bus or private taxi to reach Hebbe Falls.
Adventure/trekking near Bangalore in May
Bilikal Rangaswamy Betta (76.5 km from Bangalore)
Bilikal Rangaswamy Betta offers tourists a great experience of trekking near Bangalore. This hill is one of the highest ones in Kanakapura town and makes one of the places to visit near Bangalore in summer. It lies at a height of 3780 feet and also has a temple devoted to Lord Rangaswamy at the top. The Trekking Trail starts from Konala Doddi and takes 2.5 hours uphill and 1.5 hours downhill (approx.). Be careful while trekking as the path is very steep.
How to Reach Bilikal Rangaswamy Betta from Bangalore:
- By Car – It is an easy drive from Bangalore via NH948.
- By Bus – There are many state-run and private buses that operate between Bangalore and Kanakapura.
- By Train – Traveling by train is not the best option.
Mullayanagiri (264.9 km from Bangalore)
Mullayanagiri, located in the Chikmagalur district, is the highest peak in Karnataka. Regarded as the highest peak between the Himalayas and Nilgiris, Mullayanagiri is one of the top trekking places in Chikmagalur and among the best adventure places in India.
This trek in May is all that you need to break the routine. It is a 3 km long moderate level trek and takes about 1.5 hours to reach the top. The trek is steep, so take necessary precautions.
How to Reach Mullayanagiri from Bangalore:
- By Car – if traveling in your car, take NH75 to reach Mullayanagiri from Bangalore.
- By Bus – Several state and private AC and non-AC buses that operate between Bangalore and Chikmagalur.
- By Train – Tarikere is the closest railway station to Mullayanagiri. It is very well connected with Bangalore. You can take a taxi to complete the journey.
Baba Budangiri (276.3 km from Bangalore)
On a 2-day trip from Bangalore, do not miss out on the famous trekking places in Karnataka, Baba Budangiri. It is a great place to visit in May in South India as the weather is quite nice for trekking near Bangalore.
Baba Budangiri trek takes you to two mountains that resemble a crescent moon. Therefore, it is also called the Chandra Drona Range. As far as the name goes, Baba Budangiri is named after Baba Budan, a Muslim Saint who used to reside here.
How to Reach Baba Budangiri from Bangalore:
- By Car – NH75 will take you to Baba Budangiri from Bangalore.
- By Bus – Take the KSRTC bus or private bus to Chikmagalur (where Baba Budangiri is located) and enjoy scenic views en route.
- By Train – Kadur is the nearest railway station to Chikmagalur. From here, you can take a taxi or bus to reach Baba Budangiri.
Z Point (284.8 km from Bangalore)
A great trekking spot in Kemmanagundi, Z Point is known for its beautiful deep valleys and thick forests. The pleasant weather on the peak after trekking up seems magical. If you are an adventure lover, then go on this short trek near Bangalore in May.
It is a 3 km trekking trail starting from Kemmanagundi Raj Bhavan that passes through thick forests. At the very end of this trek, you will find narrow paths and steep hills but the views are breathtaking.
How to Reach Z Point from Bangalore:
- By Car -Take the Bangalore – Shivamogga Road from Bangalore to Z Point.
- By Bus – There are a lot of state and private buses that run between Bangalore and Kemmanagundi (where Z Point is located). You can further take a cab to reach Z Point.
- By Train – Tarikere is the nearest railway station to Kemmanagundi. Further, take a local bus or private taxi to reach Z Point.
Ubbalamadugu Falls (329.1 km from Bangalore)
Located on the border of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu lies the beautiful Ubbalamadugu Falls. Also known as Tada Falls, it is one of the best places to visit near Bangalore in May and among the top places for trekking near Bangalore.
They are located in a dense forest and thus, provide relief from the heat in May. Trekking, climbing, and picnic are the best things to do at Ubbalamadugu Falls. Also, the chirping of birds and the flapping of beautiful butterflies will make your trekking experience more exceptional.
How to Reach Ubbalamadugu Falls from Bangalore:
- By Car – If traveling by car, hit the road towards Ubbalamadugu Falls from Bangalore via NH75.
- By Bus – Several states and private buses from between Bangalore to Chittoor District. From here, you can take a local bus or taxi to reach Ubbalamadugu Falls.
- By Train – Board a train from Bangalore to Chittoor railway station. You can find local buses or taxis from outside the station that will take you to the starting point of Ubbalamadugu Falls.
Wildlife Sanctuaries near Bangalore in May
Nagarhole National Park (220.8 km from Bangalore)
Located in the Coorg District, Nagarhole National Park is among the top places to visit near Bangalore in summer. It is one of the few sanctuaries in India that focuses on tiger conservation. On your visit from Bangalore, you can spot Bengal Tiger here along with the Indian elephant and the gaur. Apart from this, there are many waterfalls, hills, valleys, streams, and forests inside this national park.
- Timings: 6.45 am to 8.45 pm.
- Safari timings: 6 am to 8 pm, 3 pm to 5 pm
- Entry Charges: Indians – INR 200, Foreigners – INR 1000
- Ideal Duration: 2 to 3 hours are enough to visit Nagarhole National Park.
- Things to do in Nagarhole National Park in May: Wildlife tour, safari, sightseeing
How to Reach Nagarhole National Park from Bangalore:
- By Car – You can easily plan a road trip from Bangalore to Coorg.
- By Bus – You can get buses from Bangalore to Mysore and then further to Coorg. You have to then take a taxi to complete the remaining distance.
- By Train – Take a train from Bangalore to Mysore railway station. From there, you can get taxis and buses that will take you to Nagarhole National Park.
One of the popular national parks near Bangalore, Bannerghatta National Park is a must-visit place near Bangalore city. Here you can witness lions, tigers, bears, and other animals in their natural habitat.
May is a great time to visit this national park as you get to tour the entire park in a secure vehicle to see the animals and also enjoy the weather. So, take your loved ones along and explore Bannerghatta National Park near Bangalore.
Timings: Zoo / Butterfly Park / Boating – 9.30 am to 5 pm, Tuesdays Closed
Grand Safari (Tiger, Lion, Bear & Herbivore Safari) timings: 10 am to 4.30 pm
- Zoo: Adults – INR 100, Child / Senior Citizen / Differently-abled – INR 80
- Boating: For 30 minutes trip – INR 50 per person (sharing), INR 250 full boat (Separate charges for jeep and bus ride)
Ideal Duration: 4 to 5 hours are enough to visit Nagarhole National Park.
Things to do in Bannerghatta National Park in May: Spend time at the 3D auditorium within the zoo premises, witness ‘flying jewels’ at India’s first butterfly park, enjoy lion and tiger safari, boating, trekking, hiking
How to Reach Bannerghatta National Park from Bangalore:
- By Car – As this national park is located just outside Bangalore, you can easily drive towards it.
- By Bus – You can use public transport to reach Bannerghatta National Park from Bangalore. The major landmark is the Jayadeva Hospital/Mico checkpoint.
Dubare Elephant Camp (253 km from Bangalore)
Among the best nature camps near Bangalore lies the Dubare Elephant Camp. Along with witnessing beautiful creatures at this nature camp, soak in the beauty, peace, and pleasant weather in May. You can easily plan a 2-day trip to a nature camp near Bangalore and visit the elephant training center housing a variety of species. You can indulge in trekking and various other adventures here. Also, Veerabhoomi and Nisargadhama are located in proximity to this camp.
Timings: 9 am to 11 am, 4.30 pm to 5.30 pm
- Day Visit: INR 1310 per person
- Elephant Camp Activities: INR 670 for Indians
- River View Cottage Stay: INR 5335 for Indians
- Cottage Stay: INR 4720 for Indians
- Ideal Duration: 3 hours are enough to visit Nagarhole National Park. If you want to stay at Dubare Elephant Camp then 1-2 days are enough.
- Things to do in Dubare Elephant Camp in May: Learn about elephants and the camp’s history, elephant ride, jungle safari, bird watching, fishing, photography, river rafting, coracle ride, trekking
How to Reach Dubare Elephant Camp from Bangalore:
- By Car – Plan a road trip to Dubare Elephant Camp via NH48.
- By Bus – Government buses are available from Bangalore to Dubare Elephant Camp.
Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary (231.3 km from Bangalore)
Located on the outskirts of Bangalore city, Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the best places to visit near Bangalore in May. The weather here is pleasant, which gives you a chance to explore the flora and fauna comfortably.
Four-horned antelope and barking deer are the most unique wildlife species, which can be spotted here. Many colorful bird species can also be seen here. So, if you love nature and wildlife, then visit Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in May.
- Timings: Starts from 9 am.
- Ideal Duration: 3-4 hours are enough to visit Nagarhole National Park.
- Things to do in Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in May: Trekking, wildlife safari, coracle ride, bird watching, nature walk, elephant ride, kayaking, mountain biking, water rafting
How to Reach Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary from Bangalore:
- By Car – Take NH44 to reach Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary from Bangalore.
- By Bus – Several state-run and private buses are available for people to reach this wildlife sanctuary near Bangalore.
- By Train – Board a train to Ramanagara railway station and further take a local bus or taxi to reach Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary.
Satiate the travel hunger in you and travel to the best places near Bangalore in May. Get away from the bustling Bangalore city and soak in the peace and pleasant weather near the best tourist places near Bangalore.
Plan a one-day trip or a weekend getaway near Bangalore with family, friends, partner, or solo and enjoy the soothing ambiance of hill stations near Bangalore, waterfalls near Bangalore, adventure/trekking places, or wildlife sanctuaries near Bangalore. So, where are you heading this summer?