Last Updated on by Tusharika
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate Girnar Rope-way in Gujarat today (24th October). It will be Asia’s longest ropeways and connect important pilgrimage sites and temples located on Mount Girnar.
- Due to the presence of Amba Temple, Dattatreya shrine, and other sacred sites, Mount Girnar, is a popular pilgrimage destination.
- The Girnar Ropeway project is developed at a cost of 130 crores and will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 24, 2020.
- Girnar Ropeway is a ropeway on Mount Girnar in Junagadh district, Gujarat. It was first proposed in 1983, but its construction of the ropeway was restarted in September 2018. The foundation of the project was laid by Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he was the Chief Minister.
- The ropeway will carry passengers 850 m above the hill to the Amba Temple. It will operate with a capacity of 800 passengers per hour and 8000 passengers per day. In one run, 192 passengers will be able to travel in the ropeway.
- Girnar Ropeway project will prove to be a catalyst of growth as well as beneficial for pilgrims. The 2.3 km long ropeway is the longest ropeway in the world completed by Usha Berco in a record time of two years.
- The ropeway will facilitate 5-6 lakh people every year. The project has been given to the company on a build-operate and transfer (BOT) basis on lease for 98 years.