Located on the Kasturba Gandhi Road, the Government Museum of Bangalore is known to be one of the oldest museums in India. Placed near the popular Cubbon Park, the museum was constructed in 1876 and the main building was designed by Colonel Sankey. A number of new wings were added to the building later on. It was only in 1886 that the museum was opened for the public. The building is a beautiful red colonial-era structure.
The museum comprises of 2 exhibition floors that are further segregated into 18 galleries, comprising of varied sections such as art, geology, numismatics, natural history, and sculpture. The Government Museum, Bangalore is a treasure house of relics from the Indus valley civilization, mainly Mohenjodaro, Halebid and Vijayanagar; old art and coins, textiles, sculptures, stones, icons, inscriptions, miniature paintings, South Indian jewelry, vessels, weapons, excavated items from Chandravalli and more. A huge number of objects kept here are over 5000 years old.