All You Want To Know About Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2014
With the advent of January, The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs gets busy in preparing for the annual event of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas. Started in 2003, the Annual Convention celebrates the widely spread Indian Diaspora to ensure the promotion, production and the coming together of all the inhabitants of the country that are scattered in different locations in the world.
What is the Festival celebrated for? Why was it initiated? What is the aim behind its inception? Who initiated it? All this and much more information about Pravasi Bharitya Divas 2014 is given below to spread awareness and to showcase the importance of this Mega Indian Event. .
Who Is It Meant For? .
The inhabitants and descendants of Indian population are spread all around the world. All the descendants, inhabitants, refugees or “NRIs and “PIOs” formulate the widely spread Indian Diaspora. According to recent statistics, eleven counties each comprise of a million inhabitants belonging to Indian Diaspora while at least twenty-two countries each contain a hundred thousand inhabitants belonging to Indian Diaspora. .
When was Pravasi Bhatiya Divas initiated? .
The first Pravasi Bharti Divas was initiated in 2003, sponsored by Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs of the government of India, the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), the Ministry of Development of the North Eastern Region of India and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
What is the history behind the initiation of the event? .
The High Level Committee working on Indian Diaspora, under the chairmanship of L. M. Singhvi , were the first ones who gave recommendations to celebrate Pravasi Bharatiya Divas. On 8th January 2002, while attending a public function at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi, the Prime Minister declared “Pravasi Bharatiya Divas”(PBD) to be celebrated on 9 January that year. .
Pravasi Bhartiay Divas took a major leap in technology by its 8th event when there was a live webcast of the event on the official website of Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. Also, Kotak Mahindra created an online platform, Pravasi Bhartiya where live feedbacks and tweets were posted about the event. .
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced the inception of Overseas Indian Facilitation Center to unite Indian Diaspora. .
When is Pravasi Bhartiya Divas celebrated and why? .
Every year, since 2003, on 9th Januray, Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated to commemorate the role played by Indian communities, residing Overseas, in the development of their motherland. .
The reason for picking the date as 9th January was to mark the arrival of Mahatma Gandhi to India from South Africa on this day in 1915. The greatest Pravasi (Non-Residential Indian) gave a new turn to India’s freedom struggle and changed the lives of everyone. .
What is the role played by Pravasi Bhartiya Divas in the Development of Overseas Indian Communities? .
• The Indian inhabitants who are residing abroad use the conventions as a platform to interact with population and government of their ancestors. .
• They also act as a sharing network to allow the Overseas Indian Community to exchange their experiences with each other. .
• The foreign individuals India who have made their names in various fields are honored with the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award to appreciate their role in India’s growth. .
• This is an event which also acts as discussing forum where major key issues regarding Indian Diaspora are discussed. .
Who have all been The Chief Guests at PBD Conventions? .
• 2013, Kochi: Mr. Rajkeswur Purryag, President, Mauritius.
• 2012, Jaipur: H.E. Ms. Kamla Persad Bissessar, Trinidad and Tobago.
• 2011, New Delhi: Sir Anand Satyanand, Governor General, New Zealand.
• 2010, New Delhi: Dr. Khalid Hameed, Chairman, Alpha Hospital Group, UK.
• 2009, Chennai: Dr. Ramdien Sardjoe, Vice President, Suriname.
• 2008, New Delhi: Dr. Navinchandra Ramgoolam, Prime Minister, Mauritius.
• 2007, New Delhi: Prof. S. Jayakumar, Dr. Prime Minister, Singapore.
• 2006, Hyderabad: Shri Ahmed Kathrada, Political Activist and a Contemporary of Nelson Mandela, South Africa.
• 2005, Mumbai: Shri J.R. Ajodhia, Vice President, Suriname.
• 2004, New Delhi: Shri Bharrat Jagdeo, President, Guyana.
• 2003, New Delhi: Sir Anerood Jugnauth, Prime Minister, Mauritius.
When and where will Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2014 take place?
The 12th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is scheduled to be held between 7th January 2014 and 9th January 2014. The venue for this year’s event is Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
What is the theme of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2014?
This year, the theme of the event of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2014 is decided to be “Engaging Diaspora: Connecting across Generations”.
What is the Program Schedule for the 12th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas?
• Day 1, January 7, 2014: At 8:30 in the morning, the registration will start to take place after which the inaugural session would commence. After a half an hour tea break, a complete Session for Youth Non Residential Indians would take place. After a one-hour lunch break the session titled “Sharing a Common Heritage: The Emotional Connect, Young Achievers” would take place, followed by another half an hour tea-break. The concluding session will start at 4:30 and by 7 P.M., the cultural events and dinner, with Minister of External Affairs as the host, will start.
• Day 2, January 8, 2014: The next day, after the inaugural session at 9:30, a half an-hour tea break would take place, followed by the complete Session on “India’s Growth & Development Agenda”. By 1 P.M., a one-hour lunch break would commence, followed by a session on “India’s Soft Power”. At 4 P.M., another half an hour tea break would start, followed by “PBD Oration”. By 7 P.M., the cultural events and dinner, with Minster of State for Youth Affairs and Sports and Minister of State for Defense as the Host, will start.
• Day 3, January 9, 2014: The next day, after the “Investment Opportunities in States” session at 9:30, a half an-hour tea break would take place, followed by the Separate Parallel State Sessions. By 1:30 P.M., a one-hour lunch break would commence, followed by sessions on Innovation and Technology, Healthcare opportunities in India, Meeting of Diaspora organizations, Making India the Hub of Media & Entertainment Industry and Issues of NRIs in the Gulf.. At 4 P.M., another half an hour tea break would start, followed by Valedictory Session and Conferment of Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards. By 7 P.M., the cultural events and dinner, with HMOIA as the Host, will start.
Other Important Aspects of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2014:
• Exhibition: There would be held an exhibition between 7th January and 9th January during PBD 2014 at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi in which Financial Institutions, NGOs, State Governments, Corporate and other sectors will participate.
• Areas that will be given focus:
o Tourism & Hospitality
o Consumer Goods
o Fashion & Jewellery
o Financial Services
o Wellness and Healthcare
• OIFC Market Place:
There will also be held a business Networking Forum, during the convention, organized by OIFC, called as “Market Place” where various business delegates attending the convention will get networking opportunity with other delegates and also with State Government and Knowledge Partners, housed at the OIFC Market Place Pavilion.
Latest posts by Karan Saxena (see all)
- 10 Stunning European Villages and Hamlets that will take your Breath Away! - January 23, 2014
- Exotic Locations in North-Eastern India offering a memorable Holiday - January 2, 2014
- All You Want To Know About Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2014 - December 5, 2013