Who said paradise has to be tropical? The lofty peaks, frozen lakes, chilly weather, and fluffy snow at the Sikkim tourist places in December say otherwise.
Although you can explore places in Sikkim every season, there is something magical about exploring the best places to visit in Sikkim in December. Right? The snowfall in Sikkim in December is one of the main reasons why so many tourists plan a winter vacation to Sikkim in winter. In fact, Sikkim is one of the best places to visit in December in India.
So, if you want to make the most of your winter vacations, just TURN OFF your winter hibernation mode and head to these places to visit in Sikkim in December to make ‘Frosty the Snowman!”
Best Places to Visit in Sikkim in December That Will Leave You Mesmerized!
- Tsomgo Lake
- Gurudongmar Lake
- Yumthang Valley
- Mountain Biking
- Teesta River
- Yak Ride
- Nathula Pass
1. Gangtok – Enjoy Shopping Extravaganza
The capital of Sikkim, Gangtok, is known for its abundant natural beauty, handicrafts, and monasteries. The number of places to explore and things to do makes Gangtok one of the best places to visit in Sikkim with family in December. So, take your kids on a winter vacation to Sikkim in December and enjoy the cold weather, shopping, and breathtaking views of mighty Kanchenjunga.
Gangtok is also the base for exploring the rest of Sikkim, and thus, you cannot afford to miss it. For a memorable affair, you can enjoy a gondola ride and witness the scenic beauty of the town. Also, snowfall is rare in Gangtok, but there are many places to see in Sikkim Gangtok, like Nathula Pass, Rumtek Monastery, Ganesh Tok, Namgyal Institute of Tibetology, Hanuman Tok, and Tsomgo Lake.
- Distance from Bagdogra Airport to Gangtok: 124 km (approx.)
- How to reach Gangtok from Bagdogra Airport: You can hire private or shared vehicles from the airport. Bus services are also available.
- Distance from New Jalpaiguri Railway Station to Gangtok: 118 km (approx.)
- How to reach Gangtok from New Jalpaiguri Railway Station: The best way to reach Gangtok from the train station is by bus, which will take around 4 to 5 hours.
Plan your winter holiday with Gangtok Tour Packages
2. Tsomgo Lake – Glance at the Frozen Wonder
When it comes to Sikkim places to visit, Tsomgo Lake must be on top of your bucket list. Covered in sheet ice with migratory birds flocking around is one of the best sights in Sikkim. This picturesque beauty is a delight for tourists from all corners of the country with their friends, family, and partners.
Tsomgo Lake, also called Changu Lake, is situated at an elevation of over 12,300 feet, which completely freezes in December due to the extremely low temperatures. This makes it an ideal place to visit in Sikkim for snow lovers.
In addition, the entire region looks mesmerizing with snow-covered peaks in the backdrop where you can capture some happy memories. You can also enjoy a pony or a yak ride at Tsomgo Lake.
- Distance from Gangtok to Tsomgo Lake: 44 km (approx.)
- How to reach Tsomgo Lake from Gangtok: You can take a reserved vehicle to the lake or, in high season, hire shared vehicles that operate from Gangtok at a per person rate.
Also read: 15 Things to do in Gangtok
3. Gurudongmar Lake – Admire the Beauty of Crystal Clear Water
One of the best places to visit in North Sikkim in December, Gurudongmar Lake is situated 17,200 feet above ocean level and is one of the most elevated lakes on earth. Snuggled by snow-covered peaks and azure waters of the lake, this place makes a great place to visit in Sikkim in winter. Also, you can treat your eyes to the beauty of Gurudongmar Lake and get some amazing photographs.
Gurudongmar Lake is named after Guru Padmasambhava and is now revered by the locals. Moreover, there is a small temple at the site dedicated to the guru. And you may wonder if this lake might get frozen in winter, but that is not the case. Gurudongmar never solidifies even at the lowest temperatures.
- Distance from Gangtok to Gurudongmar Lake: 180 km (approx.)
- How to reach Gurudongmar Lake from Gangtok: It takes about 4 to 5 hours from Gangtok to reach Lachen, and after a night halt at Lachen, it will take another 3 to 4 hours from Lachen to finally reach Gurudongmar Lake.
4. Yumthang Valley – Soak in the Breathtaking Views
Also known as the ‘Valley of Flowers’, Yumthang Valley is among the famous tourist places in Sikkim for honeymooners in December. The white snow cover the region, making it a treat for the eyes and offering a romantic ambiance for couples to rekindle their love.
The valley is located at an altitude of 8,800 feet above sea level and attracts many snow lovers and adventure enthusiasts. Travel a little higher from Yumthang Valley and reach Zero Point, known for experiencing snowfall in Sikkim in December.
While at Yumthang Valley, witness the spectacular sunrise that will make your visit memorable. The cold weather, the chilly breeze, and snow will send you into a magical world. Apart from Yumthang, you can explore the nearby area of Lachung that turns into a winter wonderland in December and see the huts, cottages, frozen rivers, and bare trees.
- Distance from Gangtok to Yumthang Valley: 134 km (approx.)
- How to reach Yumthang Valley from Gangtok: Cars are available from Gangtok to Lachung, a small village located 24 km before the valley. This journey will take around 7 hours. After a night’s halt, you can visit Yumthang Valley, which will take another 1 hour.
5. Zuluk – Drive on the Zig-Zag Roads
If you are an adventurer looking for offbeat places to visit in Sikkim in December, visit Zuluk. Located in East Sikkim, it is a tiny hamlet located near the Indo-Tibet border and thus, has a large military settlement.
You must take a permit from Gangtok to visit Zuluk on your Sikkim holiday. However, for couples looking to spend time in a peaceful environment, Zuluk is one of the best places in Sikkim for couples in December.
The higher altitude, low temperatures, and fluffy snow around make it ideal for snow lovers. Earlier Zuluk was just a tiny village on the famous silk route that connected Tibet and Kalimpong.
Now it is seen as a tourist destination, and the excellent view of the eastern Himalayan mountain ranges, including Kanchenjunga, has led many Indian and foreign tourists to this beautiful place in Sikkim.
- Distance from Gangtok to Zuluk: 91 km (approx.)
- How to reach Zuluk from Gangtok: You can reach Zuluk from Bagdogra airport or NJP railway station, which will take around 6 hours. However, the best way is to take a vehicle from Gangtok, which takes approx. 4 hours.
Also check out: 12 Thrilling Adventure Sports in Sikkim
6. Teesta River – Spend time in Solitude
Teesta River, known for its river rafting, attracts many adventure seekers from different parts of the country. However, in December, the river turns into a sheet of ice. Still, you can see the river and enjoy the splendid views around. You can spend time here in solitude and admire the snow-blanketed region.
This waterway begins from Tso Lhamo in the mighty Himalayas and flows between Sikkim and West Bengal before entering Bangladesh. Also, photography at the point of Sangam between Teesta and Rangeet River, its tributary, is among the best tourist attractions in Sikkim in December. Wear thick woolen clothes because the weather is freezing and you do not want to catch a cold on a trip.
- Distance from Gangtok to Teesta River: 173 km (approx.)
- How to reach Teesta River from Gangtok: By a reserved vehicle from Gangtok, it will take you approximately 5.5 hours to reach Teesta River.
7. Rumtek Monastery – Seek Inner Peace and Spirituality
Your Sikkim itinerary must include Rumtek Monastery, as it is one of the best places to visit in Sikkim near Gangtok. Famed for its splendid architecture, this beautiful monastery is constructed as a three-storeyed structure.
Plus, some unique remnants and Buddhist religious fine artwork are on display in the monastery. So, if you are a Buddha follower or not, you must pay a visit to Rumtek Monastery in December in Sikkim.
The colorful monastery situated near Gangtok makes it a place of interest among tourists and locals. For photographers, religious tourists, and even people seeking inner peace, Rumtek Monastery is a must-visit place in Sikkim.
- Distance from Gangtok to Rumtek Monastery: 22 km (approx.)
- How to reach Rumtek Monastery from Gangtok: The best way to reach Rumtek Monastery from Gangtok is by private vehicle. However, if you are on a budget, you can also go for shared taxis.
8. Nathula Pass – Visit This Slice of Heaven in Winter
Explore one of Sikkim’s beautiful places to visit in December, Nathula Pass. It is a high-altitude pass located at 14,140 feet above mean sea level and is one of the highest motorable roads in the world. Blessed with picturesque beauty and a fresh mountain breeze, Nathula Pass invites thousands of tourists each year. You can trek to the valley while enjoying the scenic views and peaceful environment.
Although it is covered in snow all year round, the weather in Sikkim in December gets very cold and you may witness snowfall. One of the captivating things to know about Nathula Pass is that it is among the trading border posts between China and India. The others are located in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
Also, you must take a Tourism and Civil Aviation Department permit before visiting Nathula Pass.
- Distance from Gangtok to Nathula Pass: 61 km (approx.)
- How to reach Nathula Pass from Gangtok: Nathula Pass is located in East Sikkim and takes about 2 hours from Gangtok to reach by car.
9. Lachung – Spend Time in Paradise of Peace
Lachung is emerging as one of the famous tourist places of Sikkim. It is a small village located 9,610 feet and is a part of North Sikkim. Located approx. 110 km away from Gangtok town, you can easily plan a trip to Lachung during winters in Sikkim to enjoy the chilly weather, hot tea, and warm snacks. Also, admire the scenic views of lofty peaks around and spend some time with your loved ones away from the city bustle.
Blessed with apple plantations, pine woodlands, and many cascades, Lanchug looks absolutely breathtaking in the winter months. For a memorable time in Lachung, here are some notable attractions in Lachung you can visit in December: Yumthang Valley, Lachung Monastery, Zero Point, Gurudongmar Lake, Seven Sisters Waterfalls, and Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary.
- Distance from Gangtok to Lachung: 110 km (approx.)
- How to reach Lachung from Gangtok: You can take a taxi from Gangtok to Lachung, which will take approx. 4 hours.
Also Read: Famous Hill Stations in Sikkim
10. Pelling – See the Blend of Nature and Heritage
After Gangtok, Pelling has become one of the best places to visit in west Sikkim in December. So if you want to witness the spectacular views of Kanchenjunga, visit Pelling on your trip to Sikkim in December. Besides, Pelling offers sites for mountain biking, rock climbing, village tours, meditations, and more than lure many adventure-loving souls from across the country.
Also, you can plan an excursion to Pemayangste and Sanhacholing monasteries, which are beautiful and a must-see in Sikkim. The town of Pelling is named after Sikkim’s guardian deity and organizes Kanchenjunga Festival every year in December. So, if you are in Sikkim during December, attend this festival for a memorable experience.
- Distance from Gangtok to Pelling: 129 km (approx.)
- How to reach Pelling from Gangtok: You can take a private taxi from the airport. For shared taxis, visit Siliguri. However, the best way to reach Pelling is from Gangtok, which will take around 4 hours.
Celebrate the season of hot chocolate and snowfall at the best places to visit in Sikkim in winter. Plan a trip to Sikkim during Indian Holiday and explore the beautiful places of Sikkim during the winter months.
December is the best time to visit Sikkim to enjoy the best of natural beauty and breathtaking landscapes. In addition, the cold weather, the hot tea, and warm snacks will always add to the Sikkim weather. So, which tourist places in Sikkim in December are you visiting first? Contact us for more information and to book a tour with us!
Browse Sikkim Tour Packages Here.