In India, everybody loves the month of December. There is a freshness in the air that tells you it’s time for celebration and enjoyment. While some parts of the country are covered in snow, others enjoy warm weather which is so loved by everybody. This is also the perfect time to plan a vacation with your family and friends in India. For that, we have curated the list of the 10 best places to visit in India in December 2023.
Pack your bags and set off on a trip to these best places to visit in India in December.
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Manali is one of the most beautiful places in India to visit in December in Himachal Pradesh. Its landscape is marked by deodar and pine trees, orchards, fields, and the River Beas running through it.
A vacation here promises to be an exciting affair. Some of the famous attractions in Manali are Hadimba Temple, Jagat Sukh Temple, and Rahala Waterfalls. You can enjoy a picnic and play indoor sports at the Club House, visit the Vashisht hot water springs, and enjoy heavenly views at Rohtang Pass, which is situated almost 51 km from Manali.
Things to do in Manali in December: Trekking, paragliding, visiting monasteries, hiking, trekking, zorbing, hot water bath, shopping, mountain biking
How to reach Manali:
- By air: The nearest airport is Bhuntar, situated about 50 km from Manali.
- By road: Manali is well-connected to popular tourist destinations like Shimla, Leh, Kullu, and also New Delhi.
Check out below Manali Tour Packages below:
Dawki, in Shillong, is one of the best places to visit in India in December. The drive to Dawki is in itself an exciting experience, crossing deep gorges and ravines. Located in the hills of Jaintia, it is the international trade route border town.
Here, you come across the unbelievably clear Umngot River, whose emerald green waters never fail to fascinate the tourists. This river’s water is so clear and transparent that one can see the riverbed almost 12 feet below.
Things to do in Dawki in December: Exploring waterfalls, kayaking, snorkeling, camping, boating
How to reach Dawki, Shillong:
- By air: The nearest airport to Dawki in Shillong is Guwahati which operates flights to all the major cities of the country.
- By road: Dawki is situated almost 82 km south of Shillong. The best way to reach it is by private vehicle or rented cab.
The beautiful city of Mukteshwar is situated at a height of almost 7,500 ft in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand. The city derives its name from Lord Shiva and is most famous for its Mukteshwar Temple, visiting which promises to be a memorable experience.
This place also affords you a panoramic view of the Himalayas. Other attractions of this place include Renewable Park, Chauli ki Jaali, and Methodist Church, among others.
Things to do in Mukteshwar in December: Trekking, paragliding, rock climbing, rappelling, visiting temples, shopping
How to reach Mukteshwar:
- By air: Pantnagar Airport is the nearest airport which is located about 94km from Mukteshwar. From the airport, taxis are available to Mukteshwar.
- By road: Mukteshwar is well-connected by road to all the major cities of north India. Buses are available from the cities of Kumaon and the Garhwal region.
Check-out these packages to explore the best places to visit in India in December.
Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, Andaman
Although Andaman and Nicobar Islands are beautiful throughout the year, it is one of the best winter destinations in India. Visiting it in December is a different delight altogether. Among the various tourist attractions in Andaman is the Radhanagar Beach on Havelock Island.
Situated at a distance of almost 12 km from Havelock’s ferry pier, it is famous as “Asia’s best beach” and the “world’s 7th best beach” by Time Magazine. With its long stretches of white sand, azure waters, rich coral reefs, and dense green forest, it is an amazing sight to come across.
Things to do at Radhanagar Beach: Diving, snorkeling, scuba diving, watching the sunset
How to reach Radhanagar Beach:
- By road: Radhanagar Beach has situated almost 10 km from Havelock Jetty on Havelock Island. From there, you can hire an auto-rickshaw, cab, two-wheeler, or bicycle to the beach. Walking to this beach is also an option.
Plan your tour to Andaman with the below packages:
Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
Srinagar is one of the most popular attractions in Kashmir, and no one who has visited it can remain immune to its charms. Its divine beauty attracts both honeymooners and families alike. There are so many things to do in Srinagar, besides soaking in the beauty of its fascinating landscape. One of them is enjoying a shikhara ride on Dal Lake.
Shalimar Bagh is another tourist favorite. Shalimar, which means “House of Love”, was built by Mughal emperor Jahangir for his wife Nur Jahan around 400 years back. With its terrace lawns, fountain pools, and flower beds, it’s a visual treat to the eyes. Shankaracharya Temple is another attraction that stands almost 1,100ft above Srinagar city.
Things to do in Srinagar in December: Trekking, visit the Shankaracharya Temple, enjoy the authentic cuisines, shopping, visit the famous gardens, stay in a houseboat, paragliding, enjoy a shikhara ride on Dal Lake
How to reach Srinagar:
- By air: Srinagar Airport is an international airport and operates flights to all the major cities of India like Delhi, Mumbai, and Chandigarh. The airport is located just 15 km from the city center.
- By rail: One can reach Srinagar from Jammu Tawi or Udhampur Railway Station. They run trains to all the major parts of the country. From the railway station, one can hire private taxis, buses, and state government buses.
There are plenty of famous tourist places to visit in Uttarakhand in December, and one of them is Binsar. Surrounded by the enormous and magnificent snowcapped peaks of Nanda Devi, Pachachuli, and Trishul, it appears quite surreal.
Binsar is also famous for the dense and lush forests of Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary which affords outstanding views of Kedarnath and Nanda Devi from a place called Zero Point. Indeed, if you are a photographer, poet, or writer, then this is where you should be headed.
Things to do in Binsar in December: Sightseeing, visit the Binsar Sanctuary Museum, take a trip to Khali Estate, go for a village walk
How to reach Binsar:
- By air: The nearest airport to Binsar in Uttarakhand is Pantnagar Airport, located around 152 km. It is connected to Delhi by daily flights.
- By rail: Kathgodam Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Binsar, located at a distance of 119 km. It is connected to the major cities of India like Delhi, Lucknow, and Kolkata.
- By road: Binsar is well connected by roads to the major destinations of Kumaon and other North Indian cities by road. Buses and taxis are available from the major cities of Kumaon and the Garhwal region to Binsar.
Get Customizable Uttarakhand Tour Packages:
Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh
Dalhousie is one of the best places to visit in India in December. The town was named after its 19th-century British Governor General Lord Dalhousie. There is a lot to win your heart here, from the incredible vegetation consisting of rhododendrons, deodars, and oaks to the colonial architecture that can be witnessed in its beautiful churches. Spend some time at Subhash Baoli, enjoy the panoramic views of Bakrota Hills, visit Bara Pathar temples at Ahla village, and enjoy a picnic at Kalatope.
Things to do in Dalhousie in December: Enjoy boating at Panchpula, picnic at Khajjiar, go trekking in Sach Pass, enjoy the beauty of Satdhara Waterfalls, visit the various historical sites, buy handicrafts at the Tibetan Market, spend some time at Rock Garden, explore the wildlife at Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary
How to reach Dalhousie:
- By air: Gaggal Airport, located at a distance of around 130 km, is the nearest airport to Dalhousie. Taxis and private vehicles are available from the airport to reach Dalhousie.
- By rail: Pathankot Railway Station, is located at a distance of about 80 km from Dalhousie. It is directly connected to all the major cities of India like Jammu, Delhi, Jaipur, and Bathinda. Private vehicles and taxis are available from the railway station.
- By road: Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HPTC) and Haryana Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) operate a regular bus service from cities in close proximity to Dalhousie. New Delhi, the capital of India, is located at a distance of about 565 km from Dalhousie.
Browse through Tailor-Made Himachal Tour Packages by IHPL:
Although Chennai can be quite intimidating most of the year, it becomes particularly attractive during the month of December. The city of Mylapore in Tamil Nadu is a cultural hub and traditional neighborhood with a number of sacred sites. One of the most famous attractions in Mylapore is Kapaleeswarar Temple, which is the neighborhood’s most famous landmark and boasts a thousand-year-old history.
You should check out Luz Corner which is dotted with dozens of shops selling everything from textiles to electronics and boutique silk. Other attractions which you should check out our Santhome Basilica and Carnatic cutchery. Then, after all this sightseeing leaves you tired, enjoy a meal at Mylapore Mess.
Things to do in Mylapore in December: Visit the Kapaleeswarar Temple, buy some Kancheevaram sarees at Luz, admire the beauty of Santhome Basilica, enjoy a Carnatic music show at the Sabhas (concert halls), enjoy a meal at Rayar Mess, hang out at the City Center Mall
How to reach Mylapore Chennai:
- By air: The nearest airport to Mylapore is Chennai International Airport, located at a distance of almost 17km. Private vehicles and taxis are available from the airport to reach Mylapore.
- By rail: Thirumayilai MRTS station is the closest station to Mylapore located at a distance of almost 1.5km. Taxis and private vehicles are available from the railway station.
Kovalam Beach, Kerala
Kovalam Beach is one of the warm places to visit in India in December. A beach with an international reputation, it consists of three adjacent beaches and has been a tourists’ favorite since the 1930s. There are plenty of things to do at this beach, with sunbathing, swimming, herbal body toning massages, and cultural programs being some of them. At the beach complex, you come across rows of beach cottages, convention facilities, Ayurvedic health resorts, and shopping zones, all of which make your visit even more enjoyable.
Things to do in Kovalam in December: Go on a sightseeing tour of Kovalam, enjoy a ride on a houseboat, try your hand at adventure sports, enjoy breakfast at a German bakery, rejuvenate your body and mind with an Ayurvedic massage, visit the Gramam Village Fair
How to reach Kovalam:
- By air: Trivandrum International Airport is located at a distance of about 15 km and is the nearest airport to Kovalam. The airport is connected to all the major cities of India and major cities around the world like Colombo and Singapore. You can hire taxis and private vehicles to reach the airport.
- By rail: Trivandrum Central Railway Station is located at a distance of about 15 km from Kovalam and is the nearest railway station. It runs trains to all the major cities in India. One can hire taxis and private vehicles or board a bus to reach Kovalam.
- By road: One can also reach Kovalam by bus. Some of the famous cities well linked to Trivandrum are Bangalore, Chennai, and Madurai.
Explore the best with our Kerala Tour Packages:
Make your way to Udaipur in Rajasthan, popularly referred to as the “Venice of the East”. The city charms tourists with its numerous lakes, which are as beautiful as any you will ever come across. Udaipur, one of the best places to visit in December, is also home to the various palaces which reflect the grandeur and glorious heritage of its past.
Some of these are Udaipur City Palace, Lake Palace, and Monsoon Palace. Other attractions in the city are Saheliyon ki Bari, Bharatiya Lok Kala Mandal, Ahar Museum, and Jagdish Temples, among others. You can also watch the Dharohar Dance Show at Bagore-Ki-Haveli.
Things to do in Udaipur in December: Enjoy boating on Lake Pichola, visit the Bagore ki Haveli, enjoy a ropeway ride, shop for souvenirs at Hathi Pol Bazaar, visit the Taj Lake Palace
How to reach Udaipur:
- By air: Udaipur Airport, also known as Maharana Pratap Airport, operates flights to all the major parts of the country. Hire taxis and other private vehicles to reach the city.
- By road: Udaipur is well connected to various cities through efficient bus service. Buses run by Rajasthan State Road Transport Corporation (RSRTC) connect Udaipur to popular tourist destinations like Chittorgarh (115 km), Jodhpur (260 km), and Bhilwara (166 km).
- By rail: Udaipur Railway Station connects the city with the major cities of India like Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, and Jaipur. Several trains run on a daily basis to various cities such as Ahmedabad, Sealdah, and Ajmer. Hire an auto-rickshaw to reach the city.
Plan your December vacation with our tour packages. Browse through indianholiday.com and get tailor-made tours as per your needs and budget. You may also check out the best places to visit in December outside India to enjoy an international vacation. Also, you can hire a private sightseeing tour with a guide to embrace the selected tour package fully. So, give us a call now.
- Best Places to Visit in India in January
- Best Places to Visit in India in February
- Best Places to Visit in India in March
- Best Palaces to Visit in India in April
- Best Places to Visit in India in May
- Best Places to Visit in India June
- Best Places to Visit in India in July
- Best Places to Visit in India in August
- Best Places to Visit in India in September
- Best Places to Visit in India in October
- Best Places to Visit in India in November