A picture-perfect archipelago located in the Indian Ocean, Maldives offers consummate luxury, ultimate romance, spotless white sandy beaches, and an experience of a lifetime. No wonder, travel to Maldives finds a spot right at the top of any discerning traveler’s bucket list.
Of late Maldives has become one of the favored travel destinations for couples and families from India. The reason why Maldives is one of the most popular beach destinations for holidays from India is its geographical proximity as well as the array of travel experiences that this gorgeous chain of islands has to offer.
A list of the things to do in Maldives includes:
- Scuba Diving
- Dolphin Watching
- Island Hopping
- Spa & Relaxation
- Submarine Tours
- Private Fishing
And of course, do nothing more than basking in the sun!
However, in light of the recent pandemic, a few things have changed when it comes to guidelines related to tourism activities in Maldives.
Before you plan to travel to Maldives, there are a few guidelines that you are required to follow to ensure post-Covid-19 safe travel. Some of the measures announced by the Ministry of Tourism, Republic of Maldives are:
- All visitors are required to produce a negative Covid-19 certificate upon arrival at Velana International Airport.
- The certificates also have to be submitted via the immigration portal ‘Imuga’.
- The Covid-19 negative PCR test has to be conducted within 72 hours of to arrival in Maldives
- Visitors displaying COVID-19 symptoms on arrival will mandatorily have to undergo a PCR test.
- If one member of a group traveling together displays symptoms, all members of the group shall be tested. Either the visitor or the tourist facility will have to bear all the costs.
- All resorts and tourist establishments have been regulated to ensure that they are in line with the Covid-19 safe travel guidelines.
How to Reach Maldives from India
The Maldives and India have entered into the air bubble arrangement. It’s a temporary arrangement aimed at promoting tourism as Maldives receives a significant number of inbound tourists each year from India.
- As per the arrangement, the direct flights to Maldives from India will operate from Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi (both located in Kerala).
- From Kochi, the flight to Male will take off twice every week; Thursdays and Sundays
- It will depart at 12:10 from Kochi and arrive at Male at 13:10. Then, on its return journey, the flight will take off from Male at 14:10, and land at Kochi at 16:10.
- A total of 3 direct flights are currently agreed upon as per the air bubble arrangement.
Best time to visit Maldives from India
The equatorial location of the Maldives means it is mostly warm or even hot for the most part of the year. During Monsoon, Maldives receives heavy rain and the oceans are rough. Post-monsoon, from November onwards the weather is mildly warm and dry making it a good time to visit this island nation.
From November till April is the best time to visit Maldives. With wedding seasons and family holidays falling during this period along with the observation of some of the major Hindu festivals, no wonder this period is the best time to visit Maldives from India.
And with flights taking as less as just 2-3 hours to reach Male, Maldives is an ideal long weekend beach, romance, family, and honeymoon destinations from India.
And it is said that every picture is worth a thousand words. So we leave you with a few more to give you peek into the varied travel experiences in Maldives that you can enjoy.
Here’s a handy link to the approved opening dates of resorts, hotels, vessels, and transit facilities as provided by the Ministry of Tourism Republic of Maldives: