Ice Skating Carnival in Shimla(Last Updated 09 Jun, 2022)
Thrill, excitement, and scenic views sum up the Ice Skating Carnival in Shimla. It is a gala time in Shimla and feels like the Winter Olympics. As soon as the first snowflake touches the surface and lush greenery goes away, the Ice Skating Carnival begins. The entire city bursts into song and dance and becomes cheerful and vibrant. If you plan your visit during the carnival time, it will be a whole new experience.
Shimla houses a massive Ice Skating Rink that thrives with tourists and locals during the carnival. Despite skating on the rink, interest in skiing can be enjoyed during carnival time.
Shimla, the proud owner of India's biggest open-air, natural ice rink, welcomes thousands of tourists and thrill-seekers every year. The Shimla Ice Skating Club manages it and has already celebrated its Diamond Jubilee. They offer opportunities to adventure-seeking souls as they get extreme levels of a dopamine rush during Ice Skating Carnival Shimla.
If you don't feel like participating, sit back and watch the nerve-wracking skiing activities, dance performances, competitions, and other entertainment shows to make your carnival time memorable.
Where is the Ice Skating Carnival celebrated?
The carnival is celebrated at the Ice Skating Rink of Shimla, which is located in Lakkar Bazaar.
Ice Skating Carnival Shimla Dates
The Ice Skating Carnival in Shimla commences in the first week of December and continues till the last week of February every year.
Ice Skating Shimla Cost
Ice Skating in Shimla price is INR 200 per person per hour.
How is the Ice Skating Carnival in Shimla celebrated?
Many dance shows can be seen during the carnival with some fancy dress competitions. The sessions are organized twice a day, in the morning and evening. So if you miss one, you can attend the other one. So catch this high-voltage show of the Ice Skating Carnival and make your winter vacation full of fun and frolic.
Highlights of Ice Skating Carnival Shimla
- Shimla has the only natural Ice Skating rink in Asia.
- You can get memberships on a short and long-term basis at nominal charges. This also includes Ice Skating equipment like kneepads, skates, and caps.
- Ice Skating Carnival has been organized by the club for more than 60 years.
- A balloon hanging at the Municipal Buildings tells if the Ice Skating will take place on that day or not.
- If the weather is clear and cold, then only Ice Skating is organized.
- Due to Ice Skating Rink’s popularity, it has also been featured in many Bollywood movies and songs.
How to reach Shimla for Ice Skating Carnival
Here are different ways to reach Shimla by air, train, and road to participate in the Ice Skating Carnival -
By Air - The nearest airport to Shimla is Chandigarh International Airport. It is located at a distance of approx. 126 km (4 hours), it is well-connected to major Indian cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Pune, etc. You can take a bus from Chandigarh International Airport to reach Shimla and attend the carnival.
By Train - Chandigarh Railway Station is the closest train station to Shimla and is located around 110 km (3 hours, 50 min) away. You can use public transportation like a taxi or bus and reach Shimla.
By Road - Shimla is a popular destination in Himachal and has a great network of roads. It can easily be reached by Himachal Pradesh state-run buses from nearby cities. Shimla is also connected by bus from Chandigarh, Amritsar, Delhi, Dehradun, Jaipur, and more.
Where to Stay during Ice Skating Carnival
As the Ice Skating Rink Shimla is located in Lakkar Bazaar, here are some places to stay near the market to reach the carnival venue easily -
- Summit Le Royale Hotel
- Hotel White
- Hotel Combermere
- Kapil Hotel
- Hotel Willow Banks
- The Legacy Shimla
- Hotel Shiwalik Regency
- Shimla gets extremely cold from December to January. Make sure to cover yourself well enough with heavy woolen clothes, gloves, caps, muffler, socks, and more to keep yourself warm.
- Wear your equipment properly to avoid hurting yourself while ice skating.
- There are too many people in Shimla during this festival, so if you are claustrophobic, avoid visiting here.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Shimla gets very crowded during Ice Skating Carnival. Therefore, it is advised to book your Shimla flight/train tickets and hotel well in advance to avoid the last-minute hassle.
If you are willing to plan a Shimla holiday, check out our comprehensive list of Shimla tour packages. You can modify these tour packages with the help of our tour experts.
All events & festivals in Shimla
- Within India, Nepal & Bhutan
- Outside India