Rohtang Pass is one of the popular holiday destinations near Manali, also known as Rohtang La. Located at an altitude of around 4,000 meters above sea level, Rohtang Pass is located in Himachal Pradesh and is famous among snow and nature lovers.
Rohtang Pass is one of the most visited destinations in Himachal Pradesh by families during summer, as the weather is pleasant and relieves you from the summer heat. In winter, Rohtang Pass temperature drops to -5°C or lower, offering snow sports like skiing and scooter riding.
As one drives from Manali to Rohtang Pass, beautiful sights of glaciers, peaks, and streams are bound to welcome them. Sonepani glacier, Dashahr Lake, and Chandra River are prime attractions one can adore from the peak of Rohtang.
Rohtang Pass also connects the Kullu Valley with Lahaul and Spiti. Moreover, it is also used by tourists of Leh who travel by bike and car. The beauty and popularity of Rohtang La Pass in Himachal Pradesh are remarkable and entice tourists from all across the world.
Rohtang Pass Tunnel
The tunnel is popularly known as Atal Tunnel and is around 3,000 meters in Himachal Pradesh, making it the world’s highest motorable tunnel. Our current Prime Minister, Narendra Modi inaugurated Rohtang Pass on 3rd October 2020.
Built by the Border Roads Organization (BRO), Rohtang Pass Tunnel is 9.02 km long, connecting Manali to Lahaul-Spiti Valley. The tunnel has reduced the distance between Manali to Leh by nearly 46 km and travel time by 4 to 5 hours.
The tunnel significantly boosts Himachal’s tourism and has become an important place for military and armed forces visiting Ladakh.
It is important to note that the tunnel remains closed for about 7 to 8 months due to heavy snowfall.
Rohtang Pass Permit
Taxis and other vehicles entering Rohtang Pass for tourism purposes need a permit. It is valid for 24 hours only. You can apply for a Rohtang Pass permit online. Further, only 1 permit is needed to pass through Rohtang Pass to and fro.
The government does not allow unlimited passes. So, you can only get 3 permits for each vehicle in a week (Tuesday to Monday).
Only 800 petrol and 400 diesel vehicles are allowed to pass daily. Note that Rohtang Pass is closed for maintenance on Tuesdays; therefore, no vehicles are allowed to enter on this day of the week.
Documents Required for Rohtang Pass Permit
- A valid ID - Aadhaar Card, Voter ID Card, etc.
- Pollution Under Check (PUC) Certificate.
- Vehicle registration rate (Age of the vehicle should not exceed 10 years)
- Proof of hotel booking.
Rohtang Pass Permit Fees
- Car and Jeep - INR 500 + INR 50 (congestion charge)
- MUVs - INR 500 + INR 50 (congestion charge)
- Buses and HMV - INR 500 + INR 100 (congestion charge)
- Congestion charges - This is applicable for all vehicles crossing Gulaba Bridge. It has to be paid daily and is valid only for 1 day (to and fro).
- You can include this attraction in your Himachal tour packages. Contact us and get customizable tour packages that you can modify as per your desire with the help of our tour experts.