One of the most popular beaches in India, Puri beach is known for its roaring waves of Bay of Bengal and fine white sands. The beach is visited by flocks of devotees as well as vacationers in huge numbers every year. Devotees of Lord Jagannath believe that taking a dip in the sea here is like paying homage to the Lord. A paradise for beach lovers, Puri Beach offers ample of opportunities to the daring souls to challenge the sea waves. The beach is also an ideal spot for planning a honeymoon in India. Various temples present nearby the beach lures numerous pilgrims. Holiday makers can also make their vacations memorable by trying water sports activities at the beach. To sum it up all, Puri Beach has something for everyone.
Activities to do at the Puri Beach
- The beach becomes the venue of annual Puri Beach festival in the month of November, alluring domestic as well as foreign beach enthusiasts.
- Puri beach is quite popular for offering memorable sunrise and sunset views.
- The shores of the beach have eating stalls, hotels and shops selling wonderful memorabilia. So, shopping is also a fun at the beach.
- The eastern end of the beach is comparatively quiet and is ideal for relaxing.
- Spot local fishermen wearing their trademark straw hats and dhotis.
- Take a stroll here and soak-in the serenity.
- You can also visit a fishing village and interact with the locals.
- Partake in water sports activities like boat ride, angling, swimming etc.
Attractions at and nearby Puri Beach
There are plethora of tourist attractions at and nearby the Puri Beach. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Sand sculptures - A popular attraction of Puri beach is the art of sand sculpture. It is no wonder that sand art pieces that are created by an artist named Sudarshan Patnaik are known all around the world. The art is based on various topics such as characters and legends from mythology, sculptures on temple walls as well as important contemporary events.
- Jagannath Puri Temple – Jagannath Puri Temple is the holy abode of Lord Jagannath along with his elder brother Balabhadra and elder sister Subhadra. The temple lures innumerable devotes because it is counted as one Dham out of the Famous Char Dham pilgrimage sites.
- Gundicha Temple – Gundicha Temple is believed to be the residence of Lord Jagannath’s maternal aunt. The holy place is the destination of the annual Rath Yatra. During the 9 days fiesta, the idols of Lord Jagannath along with his siblings Balabhadra and Subhadra dwell here for 7 days.
- Konark Sun Temple – The 13th century Konark Sun Temple is dedicated to Hindu God Surya (Sun). The temple is not only a pilgrimage for Hindus but also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Pilgrims gather here in huge numbers for the annual Chandrabhaga Mela which is held in the month of February. Other top tourist attractions are Ramachandi Temple, Sudarshan Crafts Museum and Vimala Temple.
Where to Stay?
There are various hotels and resorts which offer comfortable stay in Puri. Every holidaymaker has an option to choose the room and hotel which suit his pocket. However, a few of the popular hotels in Puri are:
- Aveda Chariot Resort and Spa
- Sterling Holidays Golden Sands Resort
- Blue Lily Beach Resort
- Hotel Vijoya International
- Sapphire International