Fresh off the monsoon, everything is lush and green in South India in October. With cool air, a clean environment, and warm weather, this part of the country invites travelers to enjoy nature in full bloom, making their South India trip in October a pleasant affair. So if you’ve been looking for places to visit in October in South India, we have curated just the list for you. Take a look!
Here are the Best Places to Visit in October in South India:
- Coorg – Visit the Vast Coffee Plantations
- Pondicherry – French Capital of India
- Gokarna – Have Fun at Serene Beaches
- Kodaikanal – Enjoy Cool and Misty Weather
- Hampi – Home to Architectural Marvels
- Munnar – Breathtaking Green Hill Slopes
- Wayanad – Explore Wildlife and Spice Plantation
- Ooty – Visit Various Natural Splendors
- Mysore – Experience Royal Heritage
Coorg – Visit the Vast Coffee Plantations
Also known as the “Land of Cauvery”, Coorg is a part of Western Ghat, known for its cool weather. It is one of the best places for a trip in South India as the climate remains cool and chilly. The greenery this time of year is worth seeing after the fresh rain showers.
Coorg is surrounded by peaks covered by mist, making it a nature lover’s paradise. In addition, the diverse flora, fauna, aromatic spices, and coffee plantations make Coorg one of the top South Indian destinations for couples in October.
- Temperature in Coorg in October: 10°C to 28°C
- Main Attractions in Coorg: Abbey Falls, Raja’s Tomb, Nagarhole National Park, Madikeri Fort, Omkareshwar Temple, Barapole River, Namdroling Monastery, Raja’s Seat
- How to reach Coorg: Mangalore Airport is 60 km away. Many buses are also available from Bangalore, Mysore, and Chennai.
Check out the Coorg tour packages here.
- 10 Amazing Tourist Attractions to Visit in Coorg in 2 Days
- 15 Must Visit Places in Coorg for a Memorable Holiday
Pondicherry – French Capital of India
Pondicherry reflects the Fresh culture via various heritage buildings, villas, architecture, and more. This makes it one of the best places in India to visit in October for families and couples alike. Of course, the peaceful Auroville is the most visited place in Pondicherry.
But, then, there are beautiful beaches you can visit and enjoy the calm and cool breeze at. Apart from this, the restaurants in Pondicherry are immaculate, serving Indian, Italian, and French cuisines.
- Temperature in Pondicherry in October: 24°C to 32°C
- Main Attractions in Pondicherry: Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Promenade Beach, Rock Beach, French War Memorial, Arulmigu Manakula Vinayagar Temple, Bharathi park, Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- How to reach Pondicherry: Chennai Airport is 135 km away, while Villupuram is the nearest railway station at 35 km. The best way to reach Pondicherry from nearby cities is by bus.
Gokarna – Have Fun at Serene Beaches
If you’ve been to Goa many times and want to switch it up, visit Gokarna. Like Goa, Gokarna is known for its unspoiled beaches and swaying coconut palms. In addition, there are many beautiful old and new temples along with thrilling water sports, which makes Gokarna a favorite for both religious and adventure tourists.
October brings pleasant and cool weather to Gokarna, making your beach visits enjoyable. Whether with family or friends, Gokarna is among the budget-friendly places to visit in South India in October, whether with family or friends.
- Temperature in Gokarna in October: 23°C to 32°C
- Main Attractions in Gokarna: Half Moon Beach, Kudle Beach, Paradise Beach, Mahabaleshwar Temple, Om Beach, Shiva Cave, Maha Ganapathi Temple, Koti Teertha
- How to reach Gokarna: The closest airport to Gokarna is Dabolim Airport at 140 km. The nearest railway station is in Ankola, about 20 km away. KSRTC buses are also available from cities like Bengaluru, Mangalore, Hubli, and other cities of Karnataka.
Kodaikanal – Enjoy Cool and Misty Weather
Wish to spend time amidst misty weather? Then, head to Kodaikanal in October. Known as the Princess of Hill Stations, this is among the best vacation places in South India in October. For tired souls, this place offers moments in solitude.
From lakes to mountain views, there are many attractions to explore here. If you are into adventure, you will find many hiking trails between dense forests, keeping you closer to nature. Also, the churches and temples will keep the spiritually inclined engaged.
- Temperature in Kodaikanal in October: 21°C to 30°C
- Main Attractions in Kodaikanal: Silver Cascade Falls, Bear Shola Falls, Bryant Park, Kodaikanal Lake, Kurinji Andavar Temple, Guna Cave or Devil’s Kitchen
- How to reach Kodaikanal: This hill station has an airport, and the nearest is Madurai at 120 km or Trichy at 150 km. Another famous airport is Coimbatore Airport, 175 km away. Buses ply regularly from Chennai, Pondicherry, Coimbatore, Madurai, etc.
Avail fully-equipped Kodaikanal tour packages for a hassle-free experience.
Hampi – Home to Architectural Marvels
Transport into the reigns of medieval kings and emperors in Hampi. Boasting pleasant weather in October month, Hampi is a must-visit place for history buffs to boast pleasant weather in October. Many ancient and historical structures stand in this town, attracting tourists from different cities in India and abroad.
Hampi is surrounded by the remains of Vijayanagar, the historical city, making it a treasure trove of ruins, monoliths, and boulders. Did you know? Hampi is steeped in 1400 years of history and many artifacts and relics can be found at the Archaeological Museum.
- Temperature in Hampi in October: 21°C to 29°C
- Main Attractions in Hampi: Virupaksha Temple, Vijaya Vittala Temple, Lotus Mahal, Yantrodharaka Hanuman Temple, Hampi Bazaar, Hippie Island, Queen’s Bath
- How to reach Hampi: Hubli Airport is 166 km operating daily flights from Bangalore. Belgaum Airport is another domestic airport 270 km from Hampi. KSRTC offers a number of buses from nearby cities and towns. If coming by train, Hospet Junction is the nearest at 13 km.
Explore the magnificent structures in Hampi with our tailor-made packages.
- Best Places to Visit in Hampi
- Best Places to Visit near Hampi with Family
Munnar – Breathtaking Green Hill Slopes
Munnar remains one of the best destinations in the world. With mild and pleasing weather, this hill station attracts many tourists during October, making it one of the best hill stations to visit in October in South India.
From couples to families to solo backpackers, every kind of tourist can be seen roaming the streets of Munnar. On your visit, explore the vast tea estate, witness the picturesque towns, cycle on the winding roads, and interact with the warm-hearted locals. Also, do not forget to see the highest peak in South India, Anamudi, soaring at 2695 m.
- Temperature in Munnar in October: 15°C to 20°C
- Main Attractions in Munnar: Attukal Waterfalls, TATA Tea Museum, Pothamedu View Point, Top Station, Kundala Lake, Eravikulam National Park, Mattupetty Dam
- How to reach Munnar: Cochin International Airport is just 125 km from Munnar, and Kochi or Ernakulam has the nearest train stations. Taxis are available from the airport and the railway station. Also, state and private run buses are available from Kochi, Thrissur, Madurai, and Trivandrum to Munnar.
Wayanad – Explore Wildlife and Spice Plantation
Experience adventure in Wayanad in Kerala, offering many trekking and camping trails, making your October trip to South India memorable. Its pristine waterfalls, old caves, birdwatching sites, and abundant flora and fauna make Wayanad one of the top places to visit in South India during October. Moreover, you will be delighted by the range of spices, coffee, tea, bamboo products, and honey & herbal plants available in Wayanad.
- Temperature in Wayanad in October: 10°C to 24°C
- Main Attractions in Wayanad: Banasura Sagar Dam, Chembra Peak, Edakkal Caves, Pookode Lake, Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary, Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary
- How to reach Wayanad: Calicut International Airport is around 65 km, and the nearest railway station is Kozhikode. Buses are available from Trivandrum, Chennai, Kochi, Bangalore, and Mysore.
Grab exciting offers on our Wayanad tour packages.
Also read: Top 15 Fun-Filled Things to do in Wayanad
Ooty – Visit Various Natural Splendors
Visit the “Queen of the Nilgiris”, Ooty, in October in South India with your beloved. Spend quality time with your loved ones amidst lush greenery, making Ooty a picturesque getaway. Enjoy the beautiful weather, and misty peak views, and explore numerous attractions, which makes Ooty one of the best places to visit in October in South India. Waterfalls, tea gardens, winding country lanes, and colonial architecture are the highlights of Ooty, along with panoramic views of the Nilgiri mountains.
- Temperature in Ooty in October: 15°C to 20°C
- Main Attractions in Ooty: Avalanche Lake, Emerald Lake, Ooty Lake, Ooty Botanical Gardens, Deer Park, Doddabetta Peak, Kalhatty Waterfalls, Mudumalai National Park
- How to reach Ooty: Coimbatore International Airport is located a 2.5-hour’s drive away from Ooty. Also, Ooty Railway Station is connected with major Tamil Nadu cities. You can also take a government bus or taxi from Coonoor (19 km), Coimbatore (84 km), and Palakkad (136 km).
Plan a relaxing holiday in South India with our Ooty travel packages.
- Top 14 Things to Do in Ooty Unbeatable Attractions You Can’t Miss
- Best Places to visit in Ooty for Couples on a Honeymoon Trip
- Spring at the Queen of Hills- Ooty
- Ooty vs Munnar: Which is better for Your Next Holiday Trip
Mysore – Experience Royal Heritage
Explore the rich heritage of Mysore evident through various imposing buildings and monuments. Once known as the capital of the “Kingdom of Mysore”, this city is one of the most famous tourist destinations in South India you can visit in October for the pleasant climate and comfortable sightseeing. Sandalwood, silk, and high-quality incense are produced here.
Also, Ashtanga yoga is the highlight of the Mysore tour that attracts tourists from around the world. Among all the tourist attractions in Mysore, the Mysore Ambavilas Palace is the tourism hotspot enticing millions every year.
- Temperature in Mysore in October: 19°C to 23°C
- Main Attractions in Mysore: Mysuru Palace, Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens, Somnathpur Temple, Devaraja Market, Namdroling Monastery.
- How to reach Mysore: Mysore Airport is the main airport situated 14km from Srirangapatna. Bangalore International Airport is the closest international airport, receiving flights from all major cities. Mysore railway station also gets trains from prominent Indian cities. Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation provides buses routed to various destinations.
Book Mysore tour packages with us and explore the rich heritage.
Excited to plan a trip in October to South India? Choose from the above listicle of the 9 best places to visit in October in South India. Then, plan a relaxing, adventurous, or romantic holiday and explore the best of your favorite destinations. Confused about how to plan the trip? Indian Holiday provides all-inclusive packages to all the places mentioned at affordable rates. Contact us today for more details, book a tour, and embark on an exciting trip to South India in October.