Skiing has emerged as a popular adventure sport in India in the last few years. The Great Himalayas offer some best destinations for skiing in India with their magnificent peaks and smooth slopes.
The mighty Himalayas promises a thrilling and memorable skiing experience for everyone. The stretch of snow-covered terrain is not available in every part of India, that is why we have prepared a list of best destinations for skiing in India for all adventurous souls.
Skiing Tour Packages
Customizable Itineraries, Seamless Transfers
Here are 11 best Places for Ski in India
If you love snow and sports, here are the top skiing destinations you can visit in India to try your hand at skiing.
- Auli, Uttarakhand
- Munsiyari, Uttarakhand
- Dayara Bugyal, Uttarakhand
- Mundali, Uttarakhand
- Gulmarg, Kashmir
- Pahalgam, Kashmir
- Kufri, Himachal Pradesh
- Narkanda, Himachal Pradesh
- Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
- Yumthang Valley, Sikkim
- Puni Valley, Sikkim
Auli is one of the best destinations for skiing in India. Shadowed by the mighty peaks of the Himalayas, the gentle slopes of Auli allure sports enthusiasts from all over the world. Blessed with moderate and thrilling slopes, the adventure of coming down the slope is something not easily forgotten.
The ski slopes in Auli range from 2000 m to 3000 m, which is perfect for amateurs as well as experienced skiers.
To make the adventure all the more thrilling, a 500 m long ski-lift and an 800m long cable car take us to the very top of the mountain peaks. This makes it one of the best destinations for skiing in Uttarakhand.
Best time to go – The best time to go skiing in Auli is between the months of November to March.
Why choose Auli for skiing in Uttarakhand?
- It has the world’s highest cable car from Joshimath to Auli
- Skiing slopes perfect for skiing
- Majestic views of the Himalayas
- One of the best winter destinations in the country
How to reach Auli
- Nearest airport – Jolly Grant, Dehradun (275 km, 8.5 hours drive)
- Nearest railway station – Rishikesh Railway Station (275 km, 5.5 hours drive)
Munsiyari Hill station in Uttarakhand is among the best destinations in India for skiing. Prohibited till recent times, this hill station is known for its impressive natural beauty. The steep descents from the hilly locales offer an over-the-edge skiing experience.
Munsiyari is nestled at the entrance of Johar Valley along the banks of the Gori Ganga River and provides a great experience for skiers and trekkers. Khalia Top and Betulidhar are the two high-altitude slopes suitable for skiing.
Best time to go – Skiing in Munsiyari, Uttarakhand, is best enjoyed from December to February.
Why choose Munsiyari for Skiing in Uttarakhand?
- A 1-2 hour trek is the only way to reach the highest point for the adventure.
- Ski learning enthusiasts can enjoy short training courses
- There is equipment available for hire as the hill station receives ski enthusiasts from all over the world.
How to reach Munsiyari
- Nearest airport – Patnagar Airport, (368 km, 9 hours 53 minutes drive)
- Nearest railway station – Kathgodam Railway Station (283km, 9.5 hours drive)
Dayara Bugyal, Uttarakhand
Plan winter holiday to enjoy skiing in Dayara Bugyal in Uttarakhand, ranking among the best ski destinations in India. Nestled at 3,007 meters above sea level, the magnificent geography, heavenly beauty, and multiple trails appeal to adventure enthusiasts.
The slopes of Dayara Bugyal are a dream come true for skiers and people who have skied before will be in awe of the place. The snowfall here is heavy and perfect for skiing. Moreover, the blessed locale provides moderate to difficult ski-grade ski slopes.
Best time to go – The thrill of skiing in Dayara Bugyal in Uttarakhand is best experienced between December and February.
Why choose Dayara Bugyal for skiing in Uttarakhand?
- Skiers can either bring their own ski gear and equipment or hire at the spot.
- For beginners, training courses are also available.
- A little difficult and out of the way, the hilly hub is perfect for skiing in Uttarakhand.
How to reach Dayara Bugyal
- Nearest airport – Jolly Grant, Dehradun (210 km, 6 hours 15 minutes drive)
- Nearest railway station – Dehradun Railway Station (180 km, 6 hours 20 minutes drive)
Situated at the height of 2776 meters in the Himalayas, Mundali offers some of the most majestic views of the mountains, making it an ideal place for skiing in Uttarakhand, The snow-draped slopes of Mundali offer a thrilling dose of skiing adventures.
The ski slope gradient of the area is befitting for various ski trails. To get to the hill station is an adventure in itself. Unmetalled roads, trekking trails, and challenging conditions bring you to the unexploited paradise.
The upper reaches of the Himalayas have snow till early March. Snowfall starts in November.
Best time to go – December to February are the months when skiing in Mundali in Uttarakhand is at an all-time high.
Why choose Mundali for Skiing in Uttarakhand?
- The ski school at Mundali caters to all levels of skiing.
- From beginner to advanced skiers, there are options for all.
- Ski gear is available on hire or one can bring their own.
How to reach Mundali
- Nearest airport – Jolly Grant, Dehradun (165 km, 6 hours drive)
- Nearest railway station – Dehradun Railway Station (129 km, 5 hours drive)
Wish to enjoy a holiday in Uttarakhand this winter? Contact us to get customized packages.
Gulmarg, Jammu & Kashmir
Gulmarg is reputed for being one of the top ski resorts in India. The major skiing hubs in Gulmarg are Kongdoori Peak and Apharwat Peak. The 450 m slope of Kongdoori is exhilarating.
The natural gradient is smooth and ideal for the first-timers getting the hang of the sport. The 800 m slope of Apharwat Peak is a once-in-a-lifetime glory.
The steep snow terrain is strictly reserved for skilled and advanced skiers. Apart from this, you can ride Gulmarg Gondola Cable Car, which stops at both Kongdoori Mountain Peak and Apharwat peak.
Best time to go – November to February is the best time to enjoy skiing in Gulmarg in Jammu and Kashmir.
Why choose Gulmarg for Skiing in Kashmir?
- It has the highest cable car ride in Asia
- Surreal views of the mountains
- Ski gears, guides, and training are available at the Indian Institute of Skiing & Mountaineering in Gulmarg.
Planning Gulmarg trip? Here are the Most Famous Places to Visit in Gulmarg for Sightseeing Activities
How to reach Gulmarg
- Nearest airport – Sheikh Ul Alam International Airport, Srinagar (56 km, 1 hour 45 minutes drive)
- Nearest railway station – Jammu Tawi (290 km, 7 hours drive)
Also Check Out: Our collection of tastefully crafted Gulmarg tour packages
Pahalgam, Jammu & Kashmir
The premier destination offers excitement for all those brave enough to speed down slopes with the aid of powdery-white snow.
Aru Valley in Pahalgam has the best slopes to try out skiing. The beautiful landscapes are challenging and at par with other ski destinations around the globe. The snow layer is at the right amount for skiing between December and March.
Best time to go – The thrill of skiing is best experienced in Pahalgam in Jammu and Kashmir between the months of December and January.
Why choose Pahalgam for Skiing in Jammu & Kashmir?
- The Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering and Winter Sports in Pahalgam offers training courses for learners. Gears, guides, and help are also provided.
- Serene landscapes enchant you while you ski
- Snow Festival in January or February
How to reach Pahalgam
- Nearest airport – Sheikh Ul Alam International Airport, Srinagar (90 km, 2 hours 20 minutes drive)
- Nearest railway station – Udhampur Railway Station (215 km, 6 hours 20 minutes drive)
Have a fun-filled winter holiday in Kashmir’s Capital with our tailor-made Srinagar packages.
Kufri, Himachal Pradesh
Not so far away from Shimla, Kufri is one of the best destinations in India for skiing and is also an excellent skiing destination in Himachal Pradesh. During the winter season, this tourist place becomes the haunt of skiers from all over the world.
Layers and layers of snow and the smooth lopes make for some incredible skiing. Tobogganing (sliding down the hill on a sledge) is also an often tried adventure sport. The Mahasu Ridge in Kufri is a thrilling ski hub for experienced skiers.
Best time to go – The best time to go skiing in Kufri in Himachal Pradesh is between the months of December and February.
Why choose Kufri for Skiing in Himachal Pradesh?
- Easily accessible from Shimla
- Among the oldest places to be known for skiing
- Thickly covered slopes, which are perfect for skiing
- Great for novice skiers as well as experts
How to reach Kufri
- Nearest airport – Shimla Airport, Jubbarhatti (31 km, 1 hour 12 minutes drive)
- Nearest railway station – Shimla Railway Station (15 km, 50 minutes drive)
Explore the best of Himachal Pradesh with loved ones. For more info, contact us!
Narkanda, Himachal Pradesh
Snuggled in the lap of Himachal Pradesh, Narkanda is one of the top places for skiing in India. There are different slopes for different levels of skiers here.
There are also a few easy ones that allow beginners to perfect their skills. Beginners can learn the sport with the guidance of ski instructors as HPTDC promotes many skiing courses to enjoy the snow sport appealing to adventure lovers.
The ski slope of Dovdi is the site for the learning skiers to attend a short course to learn the hang of the sport.
Best time to go – One can enjoy skiing in Narkanda in Himachal Pradesh between the months of January to February.
Why choose Narkanda for skiing in Himachal Pradesh?
- Located near Shimla
- Skiing courses are available
- Visit Atal Bihari High Altitude Trekking and Skiing Center to get enrolled
- Gears, guides, and assistance available
How to reach Narkanda
- Nearest airport – Shimla Airport, Narkanda (77km, 3 hours drive)
- Nearest railway station – Shimla Railway Station (62 km, 1 hour 20 minutes drive)
Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
Situated at dizzying heights of 10,000 feet above sea level, Tawang is one of the best skiing destinations in North East India. But you will not get many places to hire equipment. It should be noted that the facilities in Tawang are not as good as other ski destinations like Gulmarg or Auli.
Skiing is a recently launched sport here. The crowd-free skiing experience is definitely thrilling. It is advised to carry ski gear and the basic necessities, including medicines. Ski instructors are also difficult to find.
Best time to go – Skiing in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh, is enjoyed between the months of December to February.
Why choose Tawang for Skiing in Arunachal Pradesh?
- You will find empty ski slopes during a peak season
- It is the perfect ski holiday of serenity and adventure.
- Ski gear is available on hire.
- The ski facility at Tawang caters to all levels of skiing, from beginner to intermediate and to advanced skiers
How to reach Tawang
- Nearest airport – Salonibari Airport, Tezpur (317 km, 9.5 hours drive)
- Nearest railway station – Rangapara Railway Station (314 km, 10 hours drive)
Yumthang Valley, Sikkim
Yumthang Valley is snuggled in the lap of the Eastern Himalayas and is among the best ski destinations in India. Located in the northeastern state of Sikkim, the bottomless valley is known as the “Valley of Flowers’.
The sanctuary of Shingba Rhododendron in summers becomes a winter wonderland. In the warm weather, a tributary of River Teesta flows through here. At 12000 ft. in the high mountains, the slope gradient is perfect for the thrilling sport of skiing.
The powdered snow covering the mountains is tempting. Adventure spirits soar at the very sight of the magnetizing beauty. The ski slopes quench the thirst of every skier. Relish the sport from January to March.
Best time to go –Skiing is at an all-time high in Yumthang Valley in Sikkim in the months of January to March.
Why choose Yumthang Valley for skiing in Sikkim?
- Skiing can be enjoyed with less crowd
- Ski instructors are available
- You can hire ski equipment and go down the slope
How to reach Yumthang Valley
- Nearest airport – Pakyong Airport (154 km, 6.5 hours drive)
- Nearest railway station – Lachung Railway Station (26 km, 1 hours drive)
Explore the top attractions in Gangtok, Sikkim’s Capital, with our well-crafted Gangtok packages.
Phuni Valley, Sikkim
Sikkim receives heavy snowfalls during winters. Its beautiful slopes are all ready for winter sports. Still unexplored, these locales are blessed for adventure sports. Puni Valley has recently become the hub of avid skiers who come from all over the world.
At the height of 11000 feet in the Eastern Himalayas, the powdered snow offers a wonderful opportunity to ski enthusiasts that glide down the smooth slopes of the snow-clad mountains.
18 kilometers from Lachung town, skiing has been recently introduced here. One also needs to carry their own equipment.
Best time to go – Skiing can be enjoyed in Phuni Valley in Sikkim during the months of December to January.
Why choose Puni Valley for Skiing in Sikkim?
- For the adventure enthusiast, the crowd-free slopes provide an amazing experience.
- For learners, it may not be the best option as the chances of an instructor are less.
How to reach Puni Valley
- Nearest Airport– Pakyong Airport (148 km, 5.5 hours drive)
- Nearest railway station – Lachung Railway Station (26 km, 1 hours drive)
Now that you know the best destinations for skiing in India, it’s time to pack your winter gear and head to the ski. Enjoy the magnificent views of the Himalayan and other mountains covered in thick layers of snow and have the best adventure of your life.
For a hassle-free experience, choose Adventure packages in India from Indian Holiday today!