Believe me, France is much more than Paris! Although Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but still several other famous places in France where you can visit during your vacation. From boulevards to the glorious castles and charming cathedrals to picturesque villages, France is blessed with nature bounties known for its breathtaking landscape and jaw-dropping locales.
Home to some of the stunning UNESCO World Heritage Sites and cultural marvels, France is a heaven for nature lovers and history buffs. Each region of France has its own cultural heritage and distinctive cuisines, which make this diverse nation popular throughout the world.
Boasts about French Alps, cozy chalets, ski slopes, quaint fishing villages, and ancient seaports, France has something for a different type of tourists.
It is one of the favorite destinations for honeymooners and families for a memorable vacation. With the distinctive past and diverse history, France houses the popular edifices and monuments which have retained the old world charm.
To make your research narrow and hassle-free, we have jotted down a list of famous French tourist places that you can add to your itinerary and make your trip cherishable.
10 Best Places to visit in France for a Memorable Vacation
Take a look at the popular tourist attractions of France, which offers you a sneak peek into the rich cultural history as well as allows you to witness the spectacular beauty of the country.
Enveloped by an enchanting aura of romance, luxury, and adventure, Paris is one of the most famous cities in France. The capital city boasts about architectural marvels and natural wonders, which attract a large number of tourists from all over the world. Dazzle with the luxury and elegance in Paris with your loved ones.
The vibrant aura of the city makes it a paradise for honeymooners. Popularly known as ‘City of Lights’ and ‘Fashion Capital’, Paris is a perfect place to enjoy the exciting nightlife and get glimpses of the rich cultural heritage of the bygone era.
- Popular Attractions in Paris: Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame Cathedral, Louvre Museum, Catacombs, Arc of Triumph, Montmartre, Champs Elysees
- Things to do in Paris: Dinner on the top of the Eiffel Tower, shopping, cabaret show, River Seine cruise
- Best time to visit Paris: June to August
- Nearest Airport: Charles de Gaulle International Airport and Beauvais-Tille Airport
Popularly known as ‘Wine Capital of the World’, Bordeaux is famous for its wine and history across the world. Nestled on the bank of the Garonne River, Bordeaux is brimming with gothic-style architectural marvels, lively cafes, and interesting museums.
This is one of the top cities to visit in France for history buffs and architecture lovers as it is home to some of the most wonderful monuments in the world.
With majestic cathedrals to the longest pedestrian shopping street of Europe and grand theatres to fascinating museums, Bordeaux has something for different kinds of travelers and makes their vacations memorable.
- Popular Attractions in Bordeaux: Cité du Vin, Place de la Bourse, Saint-André Cathedral, Grand Théâtre de Bordeaux, Basilica of Saint-Seurin, Museum of Aquitaine
- Things to do in Bordeaux: Heritage walk, city tour, shopping, and wine tasting
- Best time to visit Bordeaux: June to August
- Nearest Airport: Bordeaux Merignac International Airport
Home to some of the magnificent architectural and historical landmarks of the country, Lyon is popular for weaving silk. Settled on the bank of the confluence of rivers Rhône and Saône, Lyon houses UNESCO World Heritage Sites and famous monuments of France. It is a perfect tourist destination in France for a leisure vacation.
It is also known as the gastronomical capital of France. The Lyonnaise cuisine is the gastronomical delights, which you can savor in the cozy restaurants of Lyon that serve scrumptious and lip-smacking dishes with perfectly topped dressings. The innovative urban landscape and ecologically designed streets of Lyon offer a unique experience during the France trip.
- Popular Attractions in Lyon: Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière, The Gallo-Roman Museum, Roman Theatres, Silk Industry in Croix-Rousse, The Museum of Fine Arts
- Things to do in Lyon: Heritage walk, city tour, shopping, and savor traditional dishes
- Best time to visit Lyon: June to August
- Nearest Airport: Lyon Saint International Airport
Marseilles is the oldest and largest city in France. This multicultural port city is situated on the Mediterranean Coast. Owing to the diverse culture and traditions, Marseilles is also known as the ‘European Capital of Culture’. This city is a perfect place to delight in the tantalizing cuisines, cruises, and varied cultures.
You can embark on a gastronomic tour in Marseille, explore the region by taxi boat, go on a photography tour, and enjoy vintage car rides in the city. There are numerous things to do in Marseilles to enjoy special moments and make the trip unforgettable.
- Popular Attractions in Marseilles: The Fort Saint Jean, Museum of the Mediterranean, The Eglise Saint Laurent, La Canebère, The Chateau d’if, Marseilles Fine Art Museum
- Things to do in Marseilles: Boat trip to The Chateau d’if, little tourist train trip in Notre Dame de la Garde, heritage walk, and city tour
- Best time to visit Marseilles: September to November
- Nearest Airport: Marseille Provence International Airport
Boasts about vibrant streets, stunning seaside locations, old-world charm, and modern lifestyle, Nice is among the most beautiful places in France. Located on the southeast coast of France in the French Riviera, this region enjoys a Mediterranean climate due to which tourists flock here throughout the year.
Nice depicts the perfect amalgamation of French and Italian culture. It is a heaven for food lovers and a perfect place for gastronomical delight. Savor the lip-smacking cuisines here at the local restaurants including vegan cheesecake and freshly prepared pasta.
- Popular Attractions in Nice: The Fort Saint-Jean, Museum of the Mediterranean, The Eglise Saint Laurent, La Canebère, The Chateau d’if, Marseilles Fine Art Museum
- Things to do in Nice: Boat trip to The Chateau d’if, little tourist train trip in Notre Dame de la Garde, heritage walk, and city tour
- Best time to visit Nice: September to November
- Nearest Airport: Marseille Provence International Airport
Boasts about beautiful landscapes and majestic architectural marvels, Strasbourg is among the best places to visit in France. Nestled on the France-German border, Strasbourg has a great influence on Germans that can be seen in the monuments and structures of the city. The old-world charm of the city has been retained.
The enchanting edifices of Strasbourg are an amazing example of German architecture. Dotted with astounding cathedrals, exciting museums, grand palaces, and amazing restaurants, Strasbourg is a marvelous place to get glimpses of the exemplary past of the country.
- Popular Attractions in Strasbourg: Saint Pierre Church, Palais Rohan, Pont Couverts, Place Kleber, Musee Alsacien, Strasbourg Cathedral, Christmas Markets
- Things to do in Strasbourg: Shopping, boating, heritage tour, nature walk, cruise tour, and sightseeing tour.
- Best time to visit Strasbourg: May to September
- Nearest Airport: Strasbourg International Airport
7. Aix-en Provence
Dotted with quaint cafes and vibrant markets, Aix-en Provence is a lively town in France. Gothic and neo-gothic architecture with Roman-influenced edifices in the city makes the Aix-en Provence a paradise for history buffs.
Apart from this, there are numerous manicured gardens, art galleries, and majestic edifices that you can add to your itinerary to sneak peek into the glorious past of the region.
The museums and art galleries have artwork of world-renowned artists. It is among the most beautiful places in France where you can enjoy art and soak in the serene aura of the tranquil environs.
- Popular Attractions in Aix-en Provence: Saint Savior Cathedral, Granet Museum, Fondation Vasarely, Pavillon de Vendome, Painters’ Park, Cezanne Trail
- Things to do in Aix-en Provence: Attend Jazz and opera, visit the museum, heritage walk, city tour, and shopping
- Best time to visit Aix-en Provence: March to May and September to November
- Nearest Airport: Marseille Airport
If you are planning a France trip from India, then don’t forget to add this destination to your itinerary. Amiens houses the oldest cathedral of France, which is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are numerous historical and cultural heritage sites, which depict the glory and charm of the bygone era.
Boasts about small colorful houses along the canals, terrace cafes, lively restaurants, and beautiful cathedrals, Amiens is also popular for interesting museums. The most admired monument of the region is Picardy, which is inscribed as a UNESCO Site and is the most visited tourist place in Amiens.
- Popular Attractions in Amiens: Picardy, Museum of Fine Arts, Notre Dame de-Amiens Cathedral, Quartier Saint-Leu, Marsh Gardens, Cirque Jules Verne, Perret Tower, Samara Archeology and Prehistory Park
- Things to do in Amiens: Attend puppet shows, enjoy the circus, shopping, heritage, and cultural tour
- Best time to visit Amiens: June to September
- Nearest Airport: Beauvais-Tillè International Airport
Nestled halfway between the Atlantic and Mediterranean, Toulouse is built on the site of the ancient Roman settlement on the Garonne River. From loudest bars to dusky pink spires, Toulouse is popular for jazz, techno, and rock music. It is also known as ‘La Ville Rose’ or The Pink City owing to ochre rooftops and pinkish brick churches.
Toulouse is one of the best places in France and a paradise for music lovers. You can attend the jazz and music festivals here. Also, it is home to coral-colored shop fronts and churches, which make the sightseeing tour of the city memorable.
- Popular Attractions in Toulouse: Saint Sernin Basilica, City Park, Capitole, Pont-Neuf, Canal du Midi, Georges Labit Museum, Modern Arts Museum
- Things to do in Toulouse: Historical walking tour, city tour, museum tour
- Best time to visit Toulouse: June to August
- Nearest Airport: Blagnac Airport
Buzzing, vibrant, and cultural city of South France, Montpellier is a nearby city of the Mediterranean Sea. From busy squares to pavement cafes and wide Open Boulevard to indoor shopping centers, Montpellier is home to some of the popular tourist places of France where history buffs and architectural lovers visit.
There are numerous museums, gardens, and shopping streets, which are the best places to visit in France with kids. You enjoy your trip to Montpellier and learn about the rich history of the region.
- Popular Attractions in Montpellier: Jardin des Plantes (botanical garden), Arc de Triomf, Montpellier Zoo, and Planetarium Montpellier
- Things to do in Montpellier: Tour to the zoo, admire the artwork in the museum, heritage tour, wall climbing, and shopping
- Best time to visit Montpellier: April to June
- Nearest Airport: Montpellier Airport
With the list of famous tourist places in France, you can enjoy the trip to this enchanting country at its best. From beautifully manicured gardens, interesting museums, vibrant cafes, and lively streets to the world’s best art galleries, France offers a unique experience to all types of visitors.
While planning the trip, make sure you will add the destinations among them to make your France tour cherishable. Don’t forget to tell us which place entices you the most. Also, share your vacation experience with us!