Tourist Visa on Arrival in India goes Online
Citizens of 43 countries will benefit as India updates ‘Tourist Visa on Arrival’ (TVoA) with ‘ETA (Electronic Travel Authority)’ scheme.
In a much awaited move, the government of India has made available the ETA scheme for tourist visa on arrival in India which will enable the citizens of 43 countries to apply for India tourist visa online from their own country. The new visa rule which will enable tourists from countries like the USA, Australia, Brazil, Germany and Japan to apply online for and to get tourist visas on arrival in India, is aimed to boost the fast growing tourism sector in India which contributes significantly to country’s GDP.
Tourists Visa on Arrival in India has been replaced with the Electronic Travel Authorization (Scheme) for 43 countries (W.e.f November 27 2014). This scheme was introduced by Shree Rajnath Singh (Union Home Minister) and Dr. Mahesh Sharma (Minister of state (Independent Charge) for Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation). Entries for the travelers is available in nine airports of India; Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Mumbai, Kochi, Goa, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Thiruvananthapuram. However, the procedure of bio-metric records remains mandatory and will be captured on arrival.
Earlier the travelers had to apply at least two months prior to their date of arrival; but now travelers may do so even thirty to five days before their arrival. This is a much simpler procedure, as now not only will you be able to pay the visa fee online, you will also get the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) within 72 hours of application, in your email id.
How do I know if I could apply for ETA scheme for tourist visa on arrival (the countries whose residents could apply online for TVoA).
This system is being implied in phases and currently 43 countries have been given the benefit. Out of these 43, 12 countries were the holder of Visa on Arrival already. The final eligible countries are: Australia, Brazil, Cambodia, Cook islands, Djibouti, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Luxembourg, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue Island, Norway, Singapore, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Russia, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, USA, Vanuatu and Vietnam.
How much is the fee in USD for tourist visa on arrival in India
The Visa will cost $60. Please note that the fee is non-refundable and has to be paid at least four days prior to the date of travel.
For how long is the tourist visa on arrival in India valid
This visa is valid for 30 days from the date of approval. The validity cannot be extended or converted. However, you can apply for this visa twice in one year.
Where can I get the help for online visa application
You can send an email in email@example.com or give a call +91-11-24300666, if you are seeking assistance for the same.
For information and application of the Visa on Arrival you can visit the official website: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html.
What is the eligibility criteria for tourist visa on arrival in India
You are eligible to apply for Tourist Visa on Arrival if:
- You are a foreign traveler wanting to visit India for recreation, sight-seeing, meeting friends or relatives, medical treatment (short duration) or casual business visit.
- Your passport has at least six months validity
- You have your return or onward ticket journey confirmed
- You have sufficient funds for a comfortable stay in India
You are not eligible for Tourist Visa on Arrival if:
- You have a Pakistani Passport or Pakistani Origin (In this case, you must apply for regular visa at Indian Mission)
- You hold a diplomatic or official Passport.
How to get tourist visa on arrival in India online if I am a US Citizen (or for that matter citizen of any of the above listed 43 countries)
Application for Tourist Visa on Arrival must be done between thirty to five days before your travel date. The procedure for the same is:
- Apply Online in the official site of Indian Visa. You need to upload your photo, passport page and other information.
- Pay the fee online. You can do so by using a debit or credit card (The fee for Tourist Visa on Arrival is $60).
- An ETA will be sent to your email. This document must be downloaded and printed. Keep this important document with yourself.
- On your arrival in India, show your documents at the earlier mentioned 9 international airports in India and complete other formalities.
Latest Update: Government Approves new tourist visa policy to boost medical tourism and trade