One of India’s most popular tourist locations, Shimla is renowned for being a very aesthetic hill station where lakhs of tourists visit the city every year. Along with that, Shimla is also one of the best places for enjoying adventure activities – particularly paragliding. Surrounded by pine and oak forests and being snow-capped for several months, paragliding in Shimla location clearly makes for amazing top-view sights – witnessing the same from the top is a breathtaking experience, no less!
Though this adventure activity has become popular in recent years, it is fast catching up and has come to be one of the most sought-after adventure activities in India. And the undulated hills of Shimla make for an ideal location to enjoy this activity. The experience of the bird-like feeling over the beautiful terrains of Shimla is something that brings tourists from all over the world.
Highlights of Paragliding Experience in Shimla:
- You will soar to a height of 4,000 feet above the city and take in panoramic vistas, which will be an unforgettable experience.
- For your paragliding activity, you will be provided with high-quality safety & gear to ensure a safe tour.
- The paragliding in Shimla price is around INR 3,200/- (The prices may change at the time of booking)
What to expect if this is your first paragliding experience?
If this is your first paragliding experience, then you must know that tourists mostly go for the tandem type of paragliding, where one is accompanied by a trained pilot, and the person is strapped in the harness in front of the pilot. All one needs to do is follow the instructions properly given by the trainers. There is another type that is uncommon, called solo paragliding, but for the same, one needs to be trained for several days.
As for the activity itself, you are supposed to run for a while – down the hill, leave the ground, and then take off if everything goes correctly. Listen to the instructions carefully because you may trip and fall and get injured while running. (For more tips related to paragliding, read below.)
Best Time to Go Paragliding in Shimla
From March to June, Shimla has the best weather with a clear sky and a pleasant climate, which makes it the best time to visit Shimla for paragliding. The temperature is around 15 to 30 °C, which is considered ideal for paragliding activity. Paragliding in Shimla is closed from July to August because of the monsoon and again restarts from September to December.
Where To Go Paragliding in Shimla?
There are a couple of places in and around Shimla where you can enjoy paragliding to the fullest. Two of the popular ones are listed below:
This is, in fact, the only place within the premises of the city where paragliding happens. The flight happens at a height of 3,200 feet for 15 minutes, where you get to experience the beautiful mountains and greenery of the region. Just imagine the experience of flying through the white clouds over the snow-capped mountain peaks, mysterious alpine forests, and deep gorges will be unforgettable.
- Location: Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
- Price: INR 4,000 per individual
- Timing: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
If you are talking about paragliding in Shimla or for the entire Himachal Pradesh region, you have to include Bir Billing – The Paragliding capital of India. Many tourists who visit Shimla during their Bir Billing tour, head to Bir Billing just to engage in the paragliding experience.
Located in Kangra Valley, Bir Billing is considered to be one of the top five places for paragliding in the world. The ride is approx. 25 minutes long, and the height of the flight is 8,000 feet above sea level.
- Location: Located west of Joginder Nagar Valley in Himachal Pradesh
- Price: INR 3,000 for approx 15 to 30 min flight. (prices may change at the time of booking)
- Timing: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Is paragliding safe in Shimla?
Paragliding operators in Shimla are seasoned professionals and guides, ensuring all safety standards are met. So, yes, paragliding is very safe in Shimla.
How to reach?
Being a popular tourist location, Shimla can be easily reached from any major city in India. Once you arrive in Shimla, it won’t be difficult to get to the paragliding locations.
The nearest airport to the city is Jubbarhatti, which is located 23 km from the town. Regular flights are available from Jubbarhatti to Delhi and Chandigarh. From the airport, you can easily get cabs to reach your desired location.
Shimla is connected to the nearest rail-head Kalka (96 km), taking 6 hours. There are 3-4 regular trains running between Kalka and Shimla. You can take the Kalka Shatabdi, which goes from New Delhi Railway Station to Kalka Railway Station via Chandigarh.
Shimla has excellent connectivity with neighboring cities such as Chandigarh (115 km), Dehradun (230 km), or New Delhi (350 km) through well-maintained national highways.
Tips for Paragliding in Shimla:
- People who suffer from vertigo or any other physical condition are advised not to indulge in the activity.
- It can get pretty freezing at the top, so you are advised to wear woolen clothes. If possible, wear wind-proof heavy jackets.
- Paragliding follows trekking up mountains, so it is advised to wear comfortable shoes that are good for grip.
- Apply sunscreen before you start your paragliding activity.
- The weight limit for paragliding is 15-95 kg.
- You can pay extra charges to get photos and videos recorded during the paragliding flight.
- You should always follow the instructions given to you by the activity organizer since the activity is not without risk. But, if you follow the guidelines, you can safely enjoy the activity with a lot of fun and excitement.
Call for Adventure
Now that you are aware of how exciting the Shimla paragliding experience is and all details concerning the activity, what’s stopping you from heading to the place right away?! Do reach out to Indian Holiday for amazing Shimla tour packages which you can customize to best suit your needs. Enquire now!