God’s Own Country, Kerala, is one of the must-visit places in India. The tourist attractions in Kerala tempt, pleases, and grant unforgettable experiences. This paradise in India has hill- stations, backwaters, beaches, wildlife sanctuaries, commercial cities, scenic hamlets, and much more to explore.
The coastal state snuggled between the Western Ghats and the Arabian Sea is pleasing throughout the year. Whether family vacationers, honeymoon couples, solo backpackers, or adventure lovers, there is something for everyone..
12 Best Tourist Places in Kerala with pictures – You must visit once in your life
1. Alleppey – The Venice of India
Alleppey tops the list of best tourist attractions in Kerala. The city was titled the ‘Venice of the East. The backwaters in the area are perfect for a houseboat vacation. Go exploring the watery routes. The houseboats are age-old modes of transportation revamped with abundant luxuries equivalent to a 5-star hotel.
The scenic landscape is a soothing sight. Watch coconut groves, paddy fields, ducks, lilies, and quaint villages pass by. The cuisines are of note as the fresh produce of the water makes a place on your plate. Experience bliss like never before! In addition, do not miss the Snake Boat Race is held in August/ September.
Places to visit in Alleppey:
|Alappuzha Beach||Krishnapuram Palace||Revi Karunakaran Museum|
|Pathiramanal||Ambalappuzha Sree Krishna Temple||Nehru Trophy Boat Race||Arthunkal Church|
- Best time to visit: September to mid-May
- Alleppey nearest airport: Kochi Airport at 53 km.
- Alleppey nearest railway station: Alleppey Railway Station is in the city.
2. Munnar – South India’s Tea Heaven
Munnar is one of the most beautiful hill stations in Kerala. Snuggled at 6000 feet, the town has an easy charm. The gradient and the salubrious weather of this hill are perfect for tea farming. The hill station has about 80,000 miles of tea plantation.
This is undoubtedly one of the best places to visit in Kerala for a Tea and spice plantation tour. The town has an old-world colonial feel to it. Enjoy a relaxing stay in comfortable hotels in Munnar. For adventure-seeking, trekking and camping are exciting. Munnar is a balm for your body, mind, and soul.
Things to see in Munnar:
|Attukad Waterfalls||Cheeyappara Waterfalls||TATA Tea Museum||Meesapulimala|
|Blossom Park||Pothamedu View Point||Life of Pi Church||Top Station|
|Marayoor Dolmens||Mattupetty Dam||Indo Swiss Dairy Farm||Kundala Lake|
|Lockhart Gap||Anamudi||Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary|
- Best time to visit: October to March
- Nearest airport: Kochi Airport is 143 km away.
- Nearest railway station: Aluva Railway Station is 110 km away.
3. Kovalam – Kerala’s Beach Paradise
Listed among the best destinations in Kerala, Kovalam is a beauty and one offering cherished experiences. The place offers a lot to tourists. In addition, the pleasant weather, soothing breeze, soft golden sand, and tall coconut trees add more charm to this little piece of paradise. Also, go swimming or bask in the warm sunshine.
Get to enjoy lip-smacking seafood. Soothing Ayurvedic massages are also on offer. Relax by sunbathing in the warmth or try water sports like parasailing, snorkeling, etc. Additionally, there are several accommodation options suitable for your family, loved ones, or for yourself to relax.
Famous Tourist Attractions in Kovalam:
|Lighthouse Beach||Halcyon Castle||Hawa Beach||Samudra Beach|
|Thiruvallam Parasurama Temple||Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium||Halcyon Castle||Akkulam Lake|
|Vizhinjam Fishing Harbor||Kovalam Jama Masjid||Vellayani Lake||Karamana River|
|Aruvikkara||Rock Cut Caves||Valiathura Pier||Water Sports in Kovalam|
- Best time to visit: September to May
- Nearest airport: Trivandrum International Airport at 15 km.
- Nearest railway station: Trivandrum Railway Station at 14 km.
4. Fort Kochi – The Crowned ’Queen of Arabian Sea’
One of the top tourist places in Kerala, Fort Kochi, is often the gateway to God’s Own Country. The Queen of the Arabian has multiple personalities. The city has a history, heritage, and multi-ethnic culture. It is one of the most visited travel destinations in Kerala, perfect for nature lovers, history buffs, and tourists.
Fort Kochi has much to offer regarding sights, food, and experiences. With museums, palaces, synagogues, Hindu temples, churches, heritage buildings, art galleries, and beaches, Fort Kochi tempts you to go exploring. Do not miss to savor some of the cuisines and bring home souvenirs.
Top Places to See near Fort Kochi:
|Chinese fishing nets||Mattancherry Palace||Paradesi Synagogue||St. Francis Church|
|Santa Cruz Basilica||Hill Palace||Marine Drive||Ernakulam Shiva Temple|
|Indo-Portuguese Museum||Bolgatty Palace||Kodanad Elephant Training Center||Willingdon Island|
- Best time to visit: September to March
- Nearest Airport: Kochi International Airport in the city.
- Nearest Railway Station: Ernakulam Junction is 13 km away.
5. Periyar Tiger Reserve (Thekkady) – Wildlife Adventures in Abundance
Thekkady ranks among the top places to visit in Kerala. It is a natural heaven blessed with wilderness snuggled amid the lush greenery of the Western Ghats. The forests of Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, besides the Periyar Lake, are a well-known tourist delight.
In addition, coffee and spice plantations are genuinely unique. Periyar, one of the 27 Tiger Reserves in India, is inhabited by almost 35 species of fauna, like elephants, tigers, sambars, gaurs, etc. Also, nearly 265 species of birds inhabit the greenery. In addition, you can enjoy the wildness with activities like safari, jungle patrol, bamboo rafting, jungle camp, border hiking, etc.
Things to see in Periyar Tiger Reserve
|Periyar wildlife sanctuary||Periyar Lake||Kadathanadan Kalari Center||Elephant Junction|
|Deepa World Spice||Ayurvedic Garden||Kumily|
|Ramakkalmedu||Mullaperiyar Dam||Periyar Tiger Trail||Mudra Cultural Center|
- Best time to visit: November to early May
- Nearest airport: Karipur International Airport at 95 km.
- Nearest railway station: Kottayam Railway Station at 114 km.
Explore our well-customized Periyar Tour Packages
6. Wayanad – Nature’s very own garden
Wayanad is one of the reasons why Kerala is God’s Own Country. The ‘land of paddy fields in Malayalam is one of the greenest places to visit in Kerala. The scenic beauty and thrilling adventures make it a favorite among visitors. Stay in a treehouse; Wayanad has plenty of them.
You can learn about tribal heritage as more than 50 tribes inhabit the area. Trekking is one of the exciting pleasures of the town. Walk through picturesque environs, and if you are lucky, you might spot a Neelakurinji flower that blooms once in 12 years.
Best places to visit Near Wayanad
|Edakkal caves||Banasura Sagar dam||Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary||Thusharagiri Waterfalls||Thirunelli Temple|
|Lakkidi View Point||Puliyarmala Jain Temple||Kuruvadweep||Papanashini River||Padinjarathara Dam|
- Best time to visit: October to May. Wayanad is also one of the most beautiful places to visit in Kerala during monsoon to enjoy the perks of trekking and other adventure activities.
- Nearest airport: Karipur International Airport at 95 km.
- Nearest railway station: Kozhikode Railway Station at 72 km.
7. Kumarakom – A glimpse of paradise
Situated near Vembanad Lake, Kumarakom is a tourist paradise. The quiet little hamlet is blessed with alluring sceneries, pleasant weather, and an exotic ecosystem. Kumarakom is on the list of best places to visit in Kerala. The backwaters are fringed by coconut grooves, fresh paddy fields, and villages.
Houseboat rides are simply relaxing and out of the world. The delightful authentic food of Kerala is a treat you should not miss. The Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary is one of the must-visit places in Kerala. It is home to many bird species, including migratory visitors and the Siberian storks.
- Kerala Beach Tour Packages
- Kerala Luxury Tour Packages
- Kerala Ayurveda Tour Packages
- Kerala Family Tour Packages
- Kerala Honeymoon Packages
Places to visit in Kumarakom – You can’t miss
|Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary||Kumarakom Backwaters||Vembanad Lake||Kumarakom Beach||Aruvikkuzhi waterfall||Juma Masjid|
|Bay Island Driftwood Museum||Valiyapally||Cheriyapally||Thirunakkara Mahadeva||Pathiramal Island|
- Best time to visit: September to May
- Nearest airport: Kochi Airport is 85 km away.
- Nearest railway station: Kottayam Railway Station is 16 km away.
8. Thrissur- Kerala’s Cultural Capital
Thrissur, the “Cultural Capital of Kerala, “is one of the must-visit tourist places in Kerala. Built around a 65-acre hillock, the town has several temples, cultural centers, churches, and colorful cultural festivals. If you want to witness Kerala’s history, heritage, and culture, there is certainly no better place to go.
The city was one of the oldest sites of human settlements. As a result, many relics of megaliths and dolmens belong to the Neolithic period. The vibrant Thrissur Pooram Festival is one of the major attractions that draw visitors in large numbers.
Top Things to do in Thrissur:
|Thrissur Zoo||Athirapally Waterfalls||Shakthan Thampuran Palace|
|Viyur Jail Park||Temples of Vadakkunnathan||Paramekkavu and Thiruvampadi|
- Thrissur Nearest airport: Cochin International Airport at 50 km.
- Thrissur Nearest railway station: Thrissur Railway Station is in the city.
9. Thiruvananthapuram – Beach City Built on the Seven Hills
A city thriving with energy yet co-existing with ancient history, Thiruvananthapuram is among the best tourist places in Kerala. The capital city is one of India’s most beautiful and greenest cities. At the same time, the blessed beauty is owing to the beautiful beaches and serene backwaters fringed by palm and coconut groves.
While the historical monuments and revered shrines keep the visitors busy. The Sree Padmanabha Swamy Temple, above all, is the holiest. The holy abode of Anantha Padmanabha is a source of spiritual bliss. While you enjoy the city pleasures, indulge in water sports, and also experience the fascinating culture of Kerala.
Best Places to Visit Near Thiruvananthapuram
|Padmanabhaswamy Temple||Veli Lagoon||Karamana River||Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary||Napier Museum|
|Kanakakkunu Palace||Kowdiar Palace||Thiruvananthapuram Zoo||Along with Attukal Temple|
- Best time to visit: October to February.
- Nearest airport: Trivandrum International Airport in the city.
- Nearest railway station: Railway station in the city.
10. Kozhikode – Spicy haven on the Malabar coast
Originally known as Calicut, Kozhikode is a beautiful city in Kerala. The town makes its name among the must-visit attractions set on the Malabar Coast. It is well-known as a paradise for those who wish to explore nature and history at its best.
From churches, temples, and historical monuments to sanctuaries and waterfalls, Kozhikode has everything required to make it a perfect holiday in Kerala. In addition, savor the excellent blend of different traditions like Arabic and Chinese.
Also, the colors of this beautiful amalgam can be witnessed in the food offered by the place. In the meantime, do not miss a taste of Kozhikode cuisine.
Tourist Places Near Kozhikode
|Mananchira||Conolly Canal||Hilite Mall||Kallayi||Tali Temple||Kappad Beach|
|Kozhikode Beach||Thusharagiri Waterfalls||Sargaalaya||Payyoli Beach||Kozhippara Falls||Matri Dei Cathedral|
- Best time to visit: September to May
- Nearest airport: Karipur International Airport in Calicut is just 28 km away.
- Nearest railway station: Kozhikode Railway Station is well within the city limits.
11. Varkala – Where Cliffs Are Adjacent to the Arabian Sea
Varkala in Kerala is located in the capital town, Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram). What makes this tourist place in Kerala a must-visit attraction is its red cliffs adjacent to the Arabian Sea. Paragliding over the sweeping views of the blue sea from those cliffs is a sight.
Moreover, the USP of Varkala tourism is its Blue Flag, the coveted Varkala Beach. This is also the same beach that has mineral springs. Also called Papanasam Beach, locals and tourists enjoy water sports like scuba diving, jet-skiing, and swimming in shallow waters.
Best Tourist Places in Varkala
|Ponnumthuruthu Island||Varkala Culture Center||Varkala Aquarium||Janardhana Swami Temple||Anjengo Fort and LightHouse|
|Kappil Lake||Bekal Beach||Varkala Beach||Wonderland Amusement Park||Happy Land Water Theme|
- Best Time to Visit: October to March
- Nearest Airport: Trivandrum International Airport, 42 kilometers/1.5 hours (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station: Thampanoor Railway Station: 42 kilometers/1.5 hours (approx.)
12. Idukki – That Houses the Top Attractions of Kerala Under Its Belts
Idukki is a very important tourist destination of Kerala as it’s a massive district within which the top places to visit in Kerala come. For instance, mesmerizing Munnar, Thekkady, South India’s most prominent peak (Anamudi), Eravikulam National Park, and Periyar Tiger Reserve all come under the impressive Idukki district.
You can guess the splendor of tourist attractions in Idukki by the fact that this district of Kerala has abundant cascading waterfalls, mesmerizing tea gardens, and rolling green hills if you are looking for a perfect tourist place in Kerala for a honeymoon, or family holiday, bookmark Idukki.
Best Tourist Places in Idukki:
|Idukki Arch Dam||Meesapulimala||Kalvari Mount||Anayirankal Dam Reservoir||Panchalimedu|
|Anchuruli Waterfalls||Tea Museum||Ilaveezha Poonchira||Keezharkuthu Falls||Hill View Park|
- Best Time to Visit: Throughout the year
- Nearest Airport: Cochin International Airport, 100 kilometers/3 hours (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station: Ernakulam Railway Station: 104 kilometers/3 hours 19 minutes (approx.)
Best Places For Paragliding in Kerala to Behold the Cloud Piercing Heights
Incredible Places to visit in Kerala for a One Day Trip
Interesting Things to do in Kerala that you shouldn’t miss trying!
Top Backwater Destinations in Kerala that You Can’t-Miss
Places to Visit in Kerala in October to Unburden the Humdrum of City Life
Goa Vs Kerala: Where To Go For Next Holiday?
Top Romantic Activities for Couples in Kerala
Offbeat Places to Visit in Kerala
TreeHouse Resorts: Getting High in Kerala
Top Honeymoon Places in Kerala to Visit in 2024-25
Best Wildlife Sanctuaries in Kerala