Adventure Sports in Rajasthan – New Things to Try in Rajasthan
The state of Rajasthan is distinguished by its fabulous monuments, all of which reflect the glory of the bygone age. Traditions, heritage and culture, all combine to lend this state a characteristic flavor of its own. No wonder, it witnesses a steady stream of visitors the year round.
The unique landscape and topography also lends itself to a variety of adventure sports. From jeep safari to paragliding, the opportunities for adventure abound here. Some of these activities also show you a completely different side of the state. This blog brings you a list of thrilling adventure sports in Rajasthan which you should try on your next visit to Rajasthan.
Hot Air Ballooning
Hot air ballooning is one of the most popular sports in Rajasthan. A ride on a hot air balloon in the cities of Rajasthan provides an unforgettable experience. Gliding past the lakes, desert lands, forts and palaces provide a unique perspective of the state. The rides are arranged at dawn or dusk, depending largely on the weather conditions. However, October to April is the best time to partake in Hot Air Ballooning in Rajasthan. Also, do not forget to bring your camera along with you during the ride, as the views from above are truly captivating.
- Places: Jaipur and Pushkar.
- Best time: Either at dawn or dusk, depending on the wind, vertical currents and other related weather conditions.
Parasailing, also called par ascending, is a sport which you must try out when you are in Rajasthan. With its vast, spacious and open countryside, it’s perfectly suited for this thrilling sport. It’s always advisable to try out this activity from a professionally guided gliding school. This will ensure that you enjoy the activity while being safe at the same time.
- Places: Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Udaipur, Bikaner and Jodhpur.
- Best time: One can try out this activity during both summers and winners, with the exception of the monsoon season.
Paragliding is still in its nascent stage in Rajasthan, but is gaining a rapid popularity with each passing day. The thrill and excitement associated with this sport make it one of the most exciting things to do in Rajasthan for adventure lovers. Soaring above the golden blanketed countryside of Rajasthan equips you with unforgettable memories. However, one can engage in this activity only through the operators who are armed with the necessary equipment.
- Places: Jaisalmer, Jodhpur.
- Best time: September to February.
As if zip lining wasn’t fun enough, now you get to glide past the colorful landscapes and get a magnificent view even as you feel a rush of adrenaline sweep through your body. Undoubtedly, zip lining is one of the most exciting adventure sports in Rajasthan. Whether it’s flying past a gigantic fort, desert lakes and fortresses or contrasting landscapes, thrill and adventure is your constant companion here.
- Places: Jaipur, Jodhpur.
- Best time: One can try zip lining throughout the year.
Trekking is something we would associate with hilly areas and mountain ranges. However, here in Rajasthan, trekking is also a highly sought after activity. The Aravalli range, one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world, offers great opportunities for trekking. You will find several hotels along the trekking route. However, it’s preferable to stay in a haveli to get the taste of the true culture of Rajasthan.
- Places: You could choose to go trekking on the Sariska-Alwar-Amer belt or the Udaipur-Kumbhalgarh-Chittorgarh belt. Both of these routes provide an incredible trekking experience.
- Best time: Winters, or the months between October to March, is the best time to go trekking. However, seasonal treks are also carried out throughout the year.
Ever heard of exploring Rajasthan on a bike? Cycling through the various destinations allows you to witness the geographical diversity of the state, the contrast in several cultures, lifestyles and so much more. Further, cycling itself is an enjoyable experience and the best part about it is the freedom to explore any given destination or location at your own leisure.
- Places: Udaipur, Kumbhalgarh, Ranakpur, Pushkar, Khejarla and Mount Abu, besides others.
- Best time: Winters, or October to March is the best time for a cycling tour in Rajasthan, as the weather is extremely pleasant during this time.
Of course, there is an undescribed thrill in sitting comfortably and watching the landscape fly by you as your jeep takes you to exotic locations in Rajasthan. A jeep safari is highly sought after because it takes you to unexplored destinations. One of the greatest advantages of a jeep safari is the option it provides in terms of altering one’s sightseeing requirements. Other than the rural areas, jeep safaris also let you visit historical forts & Palaces which are popular for architectural design and history importance.
- Places: Jeep Safari is best experienced in places including Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Shekhawati and Bikaner. Jeep safaris can also be opted for exploring Ranthambore and Sariska National Parks.
- Best time: For visiting places like Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Shekhawati and Bikaner, the best time is October to March, when the weather is cool and comfortable.
Camping is one of the most special things to do in Rajasthan, which allows you to witness the culture of the state, in all its exciting and colorful avatar. Setting up a camp in the Thar desert of Rajasthan, gathering around a bonfire and enjoying the dance, music and folklore of the state is really an experience worth cherishing for a lifetime. It’s also the best way of connecting to the wilderness of the region. One can choose from a variety of accommodations depending on one’s budget. Apart from entertaining activities, one also get a taste of the wonderful cuisines of Rajasthan.
- Places: Pushkar, Bikaner, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Ranthambore National Park, Mandwa in Shekhawati.
- Best time: Winters are the best time for camping in Rajasthan, particularly between the months of October to March.
You can also check out the Best places for Camping in Desert of Rajasthan
Rajasthan is home to a number of wildlife sanctuaries which are home to various mammals, exotic birds and endangered species. One of these is Ranthambore National Park in Sawai Madhopur, which is renowned for its tiger population. Then there is Keoladeo Ghana Bird Sanctuary in Bharatpur, which is home to about 379 floral species, 366 bird species and several animals.
In the Desert National Sanctuary, Jaisalmer, common sightings include Great Indian Bustard, sand grouse, kestrels, laggar falcons, spotted eagles. Apart from these, there are plenty of other sanctuaries which are famous for holding an exciting variety of wildlife. In all these sanctuaries, one can view the exotic wildlife through a jeep safari.
- Places: Sawai Madhopur, Alwar, Bharatpur, Jaisalmer, Kumbhalgarh, Shekhawati, Udaipur, Kota, Bundi, Jodhpur, Karauli, Mount Abu.
- Best time: October to March.
Where there is sand, there is a camel! When there are sand dunes, there is a camel safari! Camel safari is undoubtedly one of the most popular adventure activities in Rajasthan. Taking a camel ride enables one to discover the lifestyle and culture of the desert peoples. Other than that, one can get magnificent views of the sunrise and sunset. It’s a fascinating sight to see the camels adorned in colorful accessories of every kind, even as it gives you a gracious ride.
- Places: Jaisalmer, Mandawa, Pushkar, Bikaner, Jaipur and Jodhpur.
- Best time: The cooler drier months, lasting from September to March, are undoubtedly the best time for taking a camel safari.
Water sports in Rajasthan? Sounds quite surprising, doesn’t it? However, despite being a primarily desert region, the state does have its fair share of water bodies in the form of vast lakes where one can enjoy various kinds of water sports. Be sure to try out some of these water sports in your next adventure tour to Rajasthan. Two of the most popular water based activities here are boating and gliding. Rafting too, is another sport which is quite popular here.
- Places: Ramgarh Lake near Jaipur, Fateh Sagar Lake in Udaipur, rafting in the Gomati River, Sillserh Lake in Alwar.
- Best time: The best time for visiting Rajasthan and trying out water sports are both summers, which last from April to June, and winters, which last from October to mid-March.