Traveling tips for Char Dham Yatra
- Char Dham Yatra is open for only six months from April/ May to October/ November. For the rest of the year, the temples remain close as the region becomes inaccessible due to heavy snowfall.
- The trek to Kedarnath Temple and Yamunotri Temple is arduous and requires a lot of physical stamina. If you wish to embark on the Yatra then make sure you are physically fit. So, it is advisable to start preparatory exercise a few months before the Yatra.
- Char Dhams are situated at a high altitude where the air is thin. It is recommendable to practice Yoga and deep breathing, particularly Pranayama, which helps in improving the oxygen efficiency in the body.
- It is recommendable not to travel in the rainy season as there the chances of getting stuck in the landslide increases due to heavy rainfall. If you plan to visit in the monsoon season, then it is advisable to keep buffer days.
- Do not click photographs if the camera is not allowed at any particular place.
- Book accommodation in advance as the chances of getting a good accommodation option at a reasonable price is less if you are traveling in the peak season.
- Alcohol and non-vegetarian food is not allowed during the Char Dham Yatra.
- While traveling in the mountains, do not throw the plastic packets on the trails. Either throw them in the dustbin or carry them in your bag.
- Do not throw puja material or trash in the river.
- Before commencing the Yatra, it is mandatory to complete the Char Dham Yatra registration.
Things to carry during Yatra
- Carry warm clothes during the Yatra as the region experiences cold weather throughout the year. During the summer season, carry light woolens, and in the winter season carry heavy woolens to protect yourself from cold.
- Pack a woolen sweater, cap, socks, and muffler, which enables you to stand the cold winds.
- Carry moisturizer, sunscreen, and sunglasses to avoid sunburn at high altitudes.
- Carry your routine medicines including the tablets for headache, cold, cough, and fever. Also pack a medical kit with painkillers, antiseptic creams, antibiotics, and pain relief ointments.
- Keep the umbrella and raincoat handy to save yourself from unexpected showers.
- Carry dry fruits, glucose (Glucon D), dark chocolates, and toffees that will provide you energy.
- Also carry a torch with extra batteries and power banks.
- Bring waterproof boots made of plastic or rubber. They gave a good grip and will help you walk in water and snow.
- Carry sufficient cash with you as ATM facilities are very limited and not available everywhere.
Driving Tips during Chardham Yatra
- Do not overtake the vehicles in the mountains.
- Keep your vehicle on the left side of the road.
- Use horn at curves and blind turns on hills.
- It is advisable not to drive more than 8 hours a day in the hilly region.
- Driving after sunset is not allowed in the hilly area of Uttarakhand. So plan your trip accordingly.
- Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes while driving instead of the slipper.
- The car should have good ground clearance so that you can drive comfortably on rough terrains, hills, rocks, and mud. Also, check your brakes and hand brakes before starting the journey.
- Make sure the vehicle is in good condition. Also, check the headlights, brake light, and parking lights of your vehicle
- While driving, always give way to vehicles coming uphill.
- Do not forget to keep the important documents of your vehicle with you to avoid inconvenience.
- Always make sure that the fuel tank of your vehicle is full as in case of landslides you might have to take alternate long routes.
- Refuel your vehicle wherever possible as there are chances you will not find a petrol pump easily in the mountains.
- Carry a first aid box with you.
- Do not drink and drive.
Char Dham Registrations
The registration of Char Dham Yatra is mandatory and without the Yatra Slip, you will not be able to embark on the holy journey. So, make sure you will register yourself before starting the Yatra. Here are a few tips for Char Dham Yatra registration:
There are two modes by which you can do Char Dham registration – online and offline.
The online registration can be done on the official website of Char Dham Yatra where you are required to register and then fill in all the data. Also, upload all the required documents and then print the Yatra Parchi. Keep the slip with you during the Char Dham Yatra.
The offline Yatra registration is available at several locations such as Haridwar Railway station, Rishikesh Bus Stand, Janki Chatti, Guptkashi, Gangotri, Phata, Sonprayag, Kedarnath, Govindghat, and Uttarkashi.
The necessary documents required for registration are photo ID proof such as Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, and Passport.