Sea, Sand, and Sunset – You can get the best of all at the beaches in Kerala. And although Kerala is famed for its stunning backwaters, the beaches of Kerala are equally impressive. So, if you plan a holiday in God’s Own Country, what better place to unwind than the pristine beaches in Kerala? Kerala beaches’ splendid beauty and serene ambiance can de-stress your mind and soothe your soul.
From driving along the only drive-in beach at Muzzhappilangad to exploring the tranquil settings at Cherai beach, the beautiful beaches in Kerala will uplift your mood and put you in a state of blissful stagnation. As the swells of the ocean crash onto the shores, listen to the gentle whispers of the cool breeze and get transported to a tranquil space.
And whatever your inclination may be, Kerala beaches have something stored for everyone. So whether you want to take your family on a beach vacation or enjoy quality time with your significant other, beaches are the best beaches to visit during your Kerala tour.
Land up at these magical seasides and watch the magic unfold. Witness the Arabian Sea’s full splendor and partake in activities for a memorable Kerala beach vacation.
Here are the best beaches in Kerala that you must visit on your Kerala trip –
- Marari Beach – for laidback vibes
- Kovalam Beach – perfect for water babies
- Kappad Beach – a couple’s favorite
- Kappil Beach – peaceful environs
- Bekal Beach – for unparalleled charm
- Cherai Beach – for history & solitude lovers
- Beypore Beach – thrilling water activities
- Alappuzha Beach – backwater cruising
- Muzhappilangad Beach – pristine coastline
- Kozhikode Beach – for Kerala’s rich past
1. Marari Beach
Location: Alappuzha district, Kerala
Who doesn’t like the view of swaying coconut trees and shimmering golden sands? If you do, then visit Marari Beach in Kerala. Enjoy the laidback vibes, tranquil atmosphere, and vast ocean views. One of the finest beaches in Kerala, Marari Beach, is perfect for spending quality time with your loved ones.
Lay on the golden-hued sands and soak in the warmth of the sun. You will love this beach’s serenity, allowing you to indulge in relaxing therapies like yoga and mediation or Ayurveda spa and massage. Just the sound of it seems so relaxing, right?
Turn on your discovery mode and watch the fishers fare at the deepest part of the sea. If you wish, you can also explore the entire village and observe the art of coir making. So, if you have a relaxing beach vacay in mind, put Marari Beach on your list.
- Activities: Long walks, swimming, watching sunrise and sunset, snake boat races in August, water sports like water skiing, deep-sea fishing, parasailing, and sea surfing.
- Nearby attractions: Maraikullum Shiva Temple, Thumpolly beach, Kokkamanglam Apostle St Thomas Pilgrim center, Aroor, Thiruvizha Mahadeva Temple, St. Francis Church.
- Nearby Restaurants: Ecstasy shack, Café Cloud 9, Carol Days Restaurant, Neena Restaurant, Palm Heaven.
How to reach: Take a flight to Kochi airport and a cab to reach the beach. You can board a train to Alleppey, Kottayam, or Cochin, from where cabs are available for Marari beach. The beach is connected with other major towns and cities in Kerala by NH 47.
2. Kovalam Beach
Location: Kovalam town, South Trivandrum, Kerala
Kovalam Beach is a beach lover’s ideal choice. Why? Because it hosts several thrilling activities for water babies like parasailing, fishing, and diving. If you are a water baby, too, Kovalam Beach will not disappoint you.
Interestingly, it is made of three stunning beaches, namely, the Lighthouse Beach, Hawa Beach, and Samudra Beach, making Kovalam Beach one of the largest beaches in Kerala.
The pebbly beach, black sand, and the continuous waves crashing against the rocks here is a sight to behold. Dotted with tall coconut trees, this beautiful beach lures thousands of tourists annually from all parts of the world. All thanks to the number of activities available at this beach that keeps one engaged and entertained throughout the stay.
Centuries-old forts, beautiful temples, mosques, and churches surround the temple, which will make your visit to Kovalam Beach unforgettable. For the most memorable beach holiday in Kerala, you can stay at the pocket-friendly cottages at Kovalam Beach.
- Activities: Sunbathing, swimming, catamaran cruising, parasailing, sailing, diving, fishing, herbal beach massages, camping, windsurfing.
- Nearby attractions: Madras Crocodile Bank, Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Dakshina Chitra Museum
- Nearby Restaurants: Bay View – Vivanta by Taj Fisherman’s Cove, Surf Turf, Upper Deck – Vivanta by Taj Fisherman’s Cove, Black Cat Restaurant, Anithas Bistro & Cafe
How to reach: Trivandrum International Airport is the closest to Kovalam Beach, located around 15 km away. Trivandrum Central Railway Station is the nearest railhead, approximately 15 km from the beach. Avail public transport facilities to reach Kovalam Beach. You can hire state-owned buses to get to the beach.
3. Kappad Beach
Location: Kozhikode, Kerala
Looking for an idyllic setting to spend some quality time with your beloved? Visit Kappad Beach in Kerala. Among the most romantic beaches in Kerala, Kappad Beach offers a peaceful environment with lovely ocean views. Escape the blaring honks of the city and relax on the powdery sands of Kappad Beach.
Watch the ocean waves crashing the vast rock formations on this beach while you relax and rejuvenate your mind. Then, walk along the long stretch of silver sand and soak in the serenity of Kappad Beach. Flocked by many tourists all around the year, this gorgeous beach has been an important part of Kerala’s history. Some 500 years ago, in 1498, around 170 men led by Vasco da Gama first stepped onto Kerala. And from then on, the entire state, especially the Malabar Coast, has never been the same.
Thus, you must include Kappad Beach in your Kozhikode tour itinerary and visit this legendary site. Learn more about its historical relevance from the locals and have a unique beach experience.
Apart from this, you can find beach shacks at the beach stoked with delicious delicacies and tea. So, enjoy a snack while spotting migratory birds soaring in the sky.
- Activities: Boat ride in the backwaters, swimming, leisure walks, houseboat cruises, shopping stalls near the beach, sunbathing, beach games, fresh seafood at the beachside shacks
- Nearby attractions: Kappad backwaters, Pookot Lake, Thusharagiri waterfalls, Kadalundi Bird Sanctuary
- Nearby Restaurants: HALAL Chick, Taj Hotel, Wind Café, Take Off, Royal Malabar restaurant cake and café, Zaika, the family restaurant
How to reach: Kappad Beach is located around 35 km from Kozhikode Railway Station and approximately 45 km from Calicut International Airport. Avail public transport services like bus or taxi to reach Kappad Beach.
4. Kappil Beach
Location: Varkala, Kerala
Kappil Beach should be on your bucket list of one of Kerala’s well-kept secrets. It is one of the best beaches in Kerala and is a must-visit for honeymooners and romantic couples to spend time in solitude.
The sun-covered seasides with glittering golden sands will instantly put you in a blissful mood, relaxing your mind. Watch the waves of the Arabian Sea touching the seashores while you take a walk alongside.
Fringed with casuarina trees situated near Karsargod’s Bekar Fort, this gorgeous stretch of vacant shoreline almost gives you the feel of a private beach. Also, there are no public shacks or stalls at the beach, making it a clean and less crowded beach in Kerala.
What more could a couple ask for? This gives you the perfect opportunity to indulge in sweet romantic conversations and enjoy beach games together. Seasonally, kayaking is hosted on this beach.
The sight of the Kodi Cliff nearby is an absolute delight to the eyes, making Kappil Beach a must-visit for tourists looking for an exotic getaway. The natural charm, soothing atmosphere, and clear skies of this location will enrich your beach trip.
- Activities: Leisure walks, trekking, camping, swimming, surfing, sunbathing, backwater rides on boats, shopping at numerous stalls,
- Nearby attractions: Kodi Cliff, Palakunnu Temple, Bekal Fort, Paravure Beach, Kappil Beach View Point
- Nearby Restaurants: The Bait & Hook: Seaside Restaurant, Al Haramain Restaurant, Thekkumkara Taj Mahal Restaurant, Koodaram Restaurant
How to reach: To reach Kappil Beach, take a flight to Mangalore International Airport, approximately. 71 km away. Bekal Fort Railway Station and Kasargod Railway Station are located approx. 7 km and 13 km away respectively from the Kappil Beach. Alternatively, take private or government buses from major cities near Varkala.
Also Read: Best time to visit Kerala
5. Bekal Beach
Location: Kasargod district, Kerala
Want to cruise on the backwaters while enjoying beach games? Bekal Beach is the perfect beach for you. Known for its stunning backwaters, old forts, and scenic beauty, it is the perfect escape into the lap of nature. Plan a trip to Bekal Beach between January and March for the best beach experience.
Set on the broad expanse of the Malabar coastline, Bekal Beach offers views of the glowing sun, shimmery sandy retreat, fascinating landscape, swaying palm trees, calm atmosphere, and of course, enchanting backwaters. It provides an unparalleled charm and is, thus, an idyllic spot to visit in Kerala. Besides, it is one of the first artificial beach destinations that enchant and enthrall tourists all around the year.
If you are a nature lover, a water baby, a photo fanatic, or a wanderer, visit Bekal Beach on your Kerala trip. From sunset viewing to bird watching and visiting villages to stargazing, many things will keep you captivated at Bekal Beach. Undoubtedly, it is among the favored beaches in Kerala among family and friends looking for a rejuvenating beach holiday.
- Activities: Watching a sunset, exploring Bekal Fort, houseboat cruise on backwaters, savoring local delights, shopping.
- Nearby attractions: Kappil Beach, Chandragiri Fort, Ranipuram Hills, The Bekal Hole Aqua Park, Nityanand Ashram Caves.
- Nearby Restaurants: Kairali Restaurant, Naif Food Café, Xpress Fresh, Hotel Grand Bekal, Latitude.
How to reach: Get off the Kasargod Railway Station and take a cab to Bekal Beach. Mangalore International Airport is the nearest airport to Bekal Beach, located about 50 km from Kasargod town. The beach is also well-connected with significant cities nearby via regular bus service.
6. Cherai Beach
Location: Cherai, Kochi city, Kerala
Spend lovely moments with your family or spouse at one of the most pristine beaches in Kerala. Cherai Beach is a stunning location that lures tourists to its calm atmosphere and soothes their minds. Escape the bustle of the city and relax in the lap of nature.
Dotted with seashells, Cherai Beach is enriched by the lush green groves and paddy fields. So, if you seek solitude, peace, and quiet, you should visit Cherai Beach in Kerala.
The 15 km long coastline makes Cherai Beach different from others in Kerala. Also, you can see the famous Chinese fishing nets here. Also known as ‘Princess of the Arabian Sea,’ it is one of the famous beaches in Kerala that thousands of tourists visit yearly. You will find the high mask lamps along the walkway edges, which makes the beach stunning during the night.
If you are visiting with family, kids can play with the sand and make sandcastles, and couples can enjoy a leisure walk along the coastline. The vast ocean views are a beautiful sight to behold while indulging in various activities at Cherai Beach. For a more enjoyable experience, explore the famous tourist attractions near the beach and gain an insight into Kerala’s rich history.
- Activities: Sunbathing, surfing, morning walks, sunset watching, seafood lunches, photography, snorkeling, and evening walks.
- Nearby attractions: Paddy Fields, Cherai Gowreeshwara Temple, Azheekkal Sree Varaha Temple, Pallipuram Church, Pallipuram Fort.
- Nearby Restaurants: Manjali Biryani, Greasy Spoon, Chillout café, Lilliput Multicuisine Restaurant, Puttum Kattanum, Seastar Beach Restaurant
How to reach: Ernakulam Junction is the nearest railhead to Cherai Beach. It is well-connected to major Indian cities. You can hire a bus or taxi to get to the beach. If traveling by air, you can take a flight to Cochin International Airport and use public transport to visit Cherai Beach.
7. Beypore Beach
Location: Kadavu, Kerala
How does indulging in thrilling adventurous water activities followed by a calming ayurvedic massage sound? Relaxing right? That is what Beypore Beach is all about. Peace and picturesque are words that best describe Beypore Beach in Kerala. To experience the same, take a short break to this beach in Kerala and pamper yourself with the best of adventure and relaxation.
Enjoy walks along the seashore while the cool sea breeze caresses your face. Witness the swaying coconut trees and vast stretches of sands. Beypore Beach offers numerous exciting water activities like parasailing, kayaking, and surfing if you are an adventure seeker. And if not, you can always enjoy a soothing ayurvedic massage. After all, that is one of the main reasons Kerala is known for!
Apart from this, you can always get an insight into the traditional village culture of Kerala. For example, the trading center in ancient Kerala, Beypore, is known for its age-old boat-building industry.
Speckled with fishing boat silhouettes, this place offers a beautiful marine experience. So, if you are on a Kerala beach tour, do not forget to include this pristine beach in your itinerary.
- Activities: Swimming, ayurvedic massages, angling, kayaking, surfing, parasailing, shopping and savoring local foods, photography, and leisure walks.
- Nearby attractions: Beypore Harbor, Beypore Fort, Dolphin’s Point, Kozhikode Town, Kozhikode Beach Mananchira.
- Nearby Restaurants: Port Canteen, KCS Hotel, Green Restaurant, Cornish Restaurant, Babu Restaurant, Nanma Restaurant, Cee Vee Restaurant
How to reach: You can take a flight to Calicut International Airport, around 21 km from Beypore Beach, or a train to Kozhikode Railway Station, about 10 km from the beach.
8. Alappuzha Beach
Location: Alappuzha, Kerala
Alappuzha Beach is an oasis of fun and recreation alongside a vast green-blue expanse. Surrounded by lush greenery and historic structures, Alappuzha Beach is one of the top 5 beaches in Kerala that you cannot afford to miss.
This beach has a magical aura that serenades you into a land of wonders. So, if you are ready to experience the same, plan a visit to Alappuzha Beach in Kerala.
One of the favored picnic spots in Alappuzha you can see an ancient pier, which is over 140 years old, and a lighthouse that breathes history. The ancient pier provides a unique experience, and you will feel like you are walking into the sea! Crazy right?
This beach is truly mesmerizing, and you have to visit it to witness the beauty with your own eyes. No doubt it lures thousands of tourists from all over the world. Whether lazing away on the sands, enjoying a sunbath, or indulging in thrilling activities, you will not find a dull moment at Alappuzha Beach.
If you visit this Alappuzha Beach with kids, you will be happy to know the beach has a tailor-made picnic spot for children called the Vijaya Beach Park. Moreover, it offers facilities like boating, toy train rides, and bicycles. Besides, if you love partying, visit during the New Year when the beach bursts with festive fervor.
- Activities: Backwater cruise, parasailing, surfing, swimming, delight in local cuisine, boat races
- Nearby attractions: Revi Karunakaran Memorial Museum, Punnamada Lake, Gandhi Mandapam, Managalam Beach.
- Nearby Restaurants: Hassans Family Restaurant, Hotel Brothers, Ayodhya Lunch Home, Café’ the Pepper Lounge, Café Catamaran.
How to reach: The nearest airport to Alappuzha Beach is in Kochi. The closest railhead is Alappuzha Railway Station, from where you can take public transport to get to Alappuzha Beach. KSRTC Bus Stand is the nearest bus stop, located about 4.5 km away from the beach.
9. Muzhappilangad Beach
Location: Thalassery, Kannur, Kerala
Take a break from your routine life and enjoy a drive at Kerala’s only drive-in beach. You can drive along Muzhappilangad Beach’s 4 km long stretch and delight in watching the gentle waves crashing on the seashore and the coconut palms swaying.
The black rocks scattered along the shore make the beach ideal for swimming as they act as an obstacle to counter deep currents. If you are with kids, you can take them to the children’s park nearby.
One of the pristine beaches in Kerala, Muzhappilangad Beach is one of the best places to visit in Kannur. If you are an adventure lover, you must visit this beach in Kerala and indulge in exciting activities like parasailing, paragliding, catamaran ride, microlight flights, or powerboating. However, for swimmers, this beach is a paradise.
To make your Muzhappilangad beach trip more enjoyable, you can savor authentic Malabar cuisine at the various shacks located at the beach. This is the perfect way to relax and unwind while witnessing the sunset.
- Activities: Swimming, paragliding, microlight flights, catamaran rides, powerboating, parasailing, surfing, long beach walks, savoring tasty delicacies.
- Nearby attractions: Wrecked Ship at Dharmadam Beach, Old Moidu Bridge View Point, Attara View Point, Muzhapilangad Park.
- Nearby Restaurants: Rajettans Teashop, Geetha Hotel, Erumadam, Krishna Hotel, Adarsh Hotel, and Restaurant
How to reach: Take a flight to Karipua International Aiport and avail of a private taxi or bus to Muzhappilangad Beach. The nearest railway station is located at Kannur. And since this beach is located in Thalassery, which has a great network of roads, you can easily reach Muzhappilangad Beach by a fun road trip.
10. Kozhikode Beach
Location: Kozhikode, Kerala
After a productive week, a beach trip sounds very exciting. You just want to relax and have a good time with your loved ones. Right? For that, Kozhikode Beach is one of the best beaches to visit in Kerala. The peaceful environs and the stunning sea views will de-stress your mind and rejuvenate your soul. Kozhikode Beach is extremely popular among tourists who are looking for solitude.
The azure waters, clear skies, and powdery sands make it one of the most beautiful beaches in Kerala. The sunsets here are mesmerizing and leave an imprint on your mind forever. Kozhikode Beach houses an old lighthouse and two crumbling piers that run into the sea and adds to the beauty of this location.
For those who don’t know, Kozhikode Beach has played a vital role in the history of Calicut as it used to be a key port. Here, traders from Arabia and China weighed anchor and had been trading for centuries.
The dock which they used still exists though it is in ruins now. This exotic location will provide a memorable experience as you walk along the shore, savor delicious foods, and indulge in exciting activities. You can take a bath in the crystal clear water of the Arabian Sea or laze around on the shimmering sands; the choice is yours.
- Activities: Local sightseeing, snorkeling, swimming, surfing, sunbathing, and savoring local foods.
- Nearby attractions: Lion’s Park, Calicut Beach, Mananchira Ground, Stone Corner, Regional Science Centre, and Planetarium, Dolphin’s Point.
- Nearby Restaurants: Paragon Restaurant, Sixth Avenue, Zain’s Hotel, Sri Venkatesh Lunch Home, Kadal Resto Café, 70’s Restaurant.
How to reach: Located around 29 km from Kozhikode Beach lies the nearest airport, Calicut International Aiport. Kozhikode Railway Station is the nearest railhead. You can avail of public transport services from the airport and railway station to reach Kozhikode Beach. Also, it is well-connected with other cities like Trivandrum, Kochi, Thrissur, and Kollam by road.
Beaches are a significant part of Kerala tourism, and if you want the best experience, you must include them in your Kerala beach tour. There is something unique and admirable about each beach that ultimately offers a great and enjoyable time. A beach trip in Kerala sounds like the perfect plan after days of the same routine. Right? So what are you waiting for? Plan a beach tour to Kerala and explore the most pristine beaches in Kerala.