Treat yourself to the irresistible and stunning beauty of the picture-perfect places in the Himalayas during your summer vacations in India. Add to it, unrivaled tranquility, enthralling adventure, unlimited fun, snow-laden peaks and from almost anything to everything you can imagine! Need another reason to spend your holidays here? Well, these pieces of heaven can evoke the photographer, painter, lover and the daredevil in you all at once. So, leave your worries behind and let the fun begin!
This year, you must visit these 12 most wonderful places in the Himalayas to make your summer holidays in India special:
Nubra Valley, Ladakh – bringing life to a barren land
Positioned on the north east of Ladakh, Nubra Valley is simply magical. The tri-armed valley cast a spell on the visitors with a dash of prolific verdant and moon-like landscapes. In addition, the timeless beauty of the valley makes it one of the best places to visit in Ladakh. A blanket of yellow and pink roses wraps up the entire area during summer. Furthermore, oodles of wild lavender present a visual retreat during autumn. Alternatively known as the ‘Food bowl of Ladakh’, Nubra remains remote during most of the year. But, this paradise becomes active during the summers. For this reason, the place is surely one of the best summer destinations in India.
Things to do at Nubra Valley
- Visit the famous Diskit Monastery.
- Explore the sand dunes of the Hunder Village.
- Take a dip in the hot springs of Panamik.
- Enjoy trekking.
- Ride a Bactrian camel (a camel with two humps) till your heart’s content.
How to reach Nubra Valley?
- By Air – Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport (162 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Udhampur (298 km)
- By Road – The roads to Nubra Valley are suitable for a self-drive. Since there are no bus services, it is better to take your own car to reach here.
Roopkund, Uttarakhand – a lake surrounded by mysteries
Get ready for a bone-chilling experience even when the sun is shining brightly over the rest of India! Shrouded by several mysteries and snow all around, Roopkund is a pristine yet popular glacial lake in Uttarakhand. Also named as the Skeleton Lake or Mystery Lake, this natural wonder is luring historians, scientists, anthropologists and devotees since long. Besides, Roopkund is also one of the most popular trekking destinations in India. Owing to offering the right dose of adventure to all the ardent trekkers, the lake is surely a must-visit destination. While the ascent to the site is deliriously exhilarating, camping on the trek route is an unrivaled bliss.
Things to do at Roopkund
- Go for trekking.
- Visit Bedni Bugyal and Ali Bugyal – the largest high altitude meadows in India.
- Climb to Mount Trishul.
- Reach Junargali.
- Hike up to Nanda Ghunti.
- Attend the religious annual festival held Bedni Bugyal.
- Witness the Nanda Devi Raj Jat, a celebration that takes place once in every twelve years.
How to reach Roopkund?
- By Air – Jolly Grant Airport (252 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Rishikesh (227 km)
- By Road – Lohajang Pass (42 km approx.)
Goecha La, Sikkim – a high mountain pass
Did you know, fascinated by the ethereal charm of the Goecha La, Indian government authorities decided to feature it on the hundred rupee notes? Besides acting as a base camp for the avid trekkers, the pass offers striking views of the Kanchenjunga, the world’s third highest mountain. Another reason to visit this one of the best places in the Himalayas for summer vacations in India is to pacify the adrenaline rush. The list of reasons is not over yet! The amazing view of sixteen beautiful peaks, snow-covered Himalayas, meadows, meandering rivers, rhododendrons and tear-shaped Goecha Lake will leave you spellbound. Furthermore, the astounding destination also ranks amongst the best places to visit in October in India because of the perfect weather during this month.
Things to do at Goecha La
- Delight in Kanchenjunga Base Camp trek.
- Marvel at the stunning sunset and sunrise views.
- Enjoy sightseeing.
- Indulge in camping.
How to reach Goecha La?
- By Air – Bagdogra Airport (155.2 km from Yuksom)
- Nearest Railway Station – New Jalpaiguri (150 km from Yuksom)
- By Road – Siliguri Pass (141 km Siliguri to Yuksom)
Manali, Himachal Pradesh – a paradise for honeymooners
Tucked away in the beautiful Kullu Valley, Manali acts as the gateway to Spiti, Lahaul and of course, Leh. As a matter of fact, the scenic hill station amuses with its thrilling snow-laden roads and blooming apple trees. A trip to Himachal Pradesh, especially to Kullu Manali is a complete package of entertainment which can be cherished for long. When here, you are free to unwind in the lap of nature or try your rafting skills on the Beas River. Manali is undoubtedly one of the best Himalayan destinations for adventures sports. Come summer and the hill town starts welcoming families, honeymooners, adventure lovers and solo backpackers.
Things to do at Manali
- Bow down at the Hidimba Devi Temple.
- Visit Solang Valley.
- Trek to Rohtang Pass.
- Soak in the beauty of the Bhrigu Lake.
- Explore tourists attractions like Pandoh Dam, Manali Sanctuary, Beas River, Hampta Pass.
- Plan a day trip to Great Himalayan National Park.
- Enjoy White Water Rafting.
- Trek to Chandrakhani Pass and Beas Kund.
- Take a dip in the hot natural springs at Kalath, Manikaran or Vashisht village.
- Partake in Yak Safari.
- Paragliding is a must here.
- Go for hiking.
- Try your hands at rock climbing.
How to reach Manali?
- By Air – Bhuntar Airport (50 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Ambala Cantt (200 km)
- By Road – Delhi (570 km)
Spiti Valley, Himachal Pradesh – one of the remote places in the Himalayas for summer vacations in India
Translating into ‘The Middle Land’, Spiti is a valley cradled between India and Tibet in the lap of the Himalayas. It is unarguably one of the best places to visit in India for the summer holidays because the destination is accessible only during this time. Moreover, the spellbinding beauty of Spiti can only be enjoyed in the warmer months. In addition, awe-inspiring glaciers, less habitation, ancient monasteries, snow-covered peaks and much more – the dessert terrain features all. One must head to this peaceful holiday destination in the Indian Himalayas to bask in utter tranquility. Take a break from the monotony of visiting popular destinations only. To put it in another way, head to this stunning destination this summer.
Things to do at Spiti Valley
- Visit Key Monastery.
- Explore Tabo Monastery.
- Complete your trip by exploring Pin Valley.
- Go for mountain biking.
- Get mesmerized at the Surajtal Lake and Chandratal Lake.
- Attend festivals like Chaam dance, burning of the Devil and Pauri festival.
- Boast about reaching the Kunzum Pass – one of the highest motorable mountain passes of India.
How to reach Spiti Valley?
- By Air – Bhuntar Airport (248.2 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Shimla (444.0 km)
- By Road – Manali (196.9 km)
Planning your holidays in Himachal? Check out the list of things to do in Himachal Pradesh to make your vacations memorable!
Yumthang Valley, Sikkim – a paradise in North East India
Yumthang translates to ‘Valley of Flowers’, but, actually it is ‘Valley of Rhododendrons’ to be precise. Because of the blooming of rhododendrons, the enchanting valley in Sikkim gets painted in innumerable hues of blue, purple, pink, red, etc. Additionally, hot springs, river, yaks together with grazing cattle make Yumthang one of the best places to visit in Sikkim. In fact, don’t be surprised to see that the tree line ends here. Showcasing a superb confluence of flora, fauna coupled with natural beauty, the place is a paradise for nature lovers.
Things to do at Yumthang Valley
- Visit Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary for watching various varieties of rhododendrons.
- Attend the annual International Rhododendron Festival held at the valley from March to May.
- Marvel at the awe-inspiring views of the mountain peaks.
- Take a dip in the Yumthang Hot Spring consisting of medicinal and healing properties.
- Enjoying fishing at a couple of rivers nearby like Puniya chu and Yumthang chu.
How to reach Yumthang Valley?
- By Air – Greenfield Airport Pakyong (148.2 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Jalpaiguri (144.0 km)
- By Road – Lachung (24 km)
Do not miss out on these 8 adventurous things to do in Sikkim
Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh – a scenic hamlet cuddled up in the Himalayas
Charismatic monasteries together with picturesque sceneries make you fall in love with Tawang. Another key point to note is that the hamlet is also famous as the birthplace of the sixth Dalai Lama. Bestowed with nature’s bounty, the hidden site is undoubtedly beyond description. Usually pronounced as Dawang, the place is a must-visit for spiritual enlightenment. Don’t forget to savor the delicious cuisines of the area. Furthermore, there are many attractions around Tawang which draws tourists from every nook and corner. Also, the spectacular destination remains shrouded with mist or snow. Thus, produces a rejuvenating effect for the weary souls.
Things to do at Tawang
- Visit Tawang Monastery.
- Spend some time at the Tipi Orchid Sanctuary.
- Explore Sela Pass and Lake.
- Soak-in the beauty of Bap Tang Kang.
- Trek to Gorichen Peak.
- Rejuvenate your soul at Madhuri Lake.
- Pay a visit to the unique Jaswant Garh.
How to reach Tawang?
- By Air – Salonibari Airport Tezpur (319 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Tezpur Railway Station (327.8 km)
- By Road – Itanagar (440 km)
Chopta Valley, Uttarakhand – mini Switzerland of Uttrakhand
Full of surprises, Chopta Valley provides a myriad of options to explore. Blessed with scenic beauty and sheer tranquility, it is definitely one of the best places in the Himalayas for summer vacations in India. Once here, you can revel in your holidays away from the hustle and bustle of city life. A paradise for trekkers and adventure lovers, Chopta caters to the needs of both amateurs as well as professional trekking enthusiasts. Moreover, wildlife and nature lovers can also plan a trip to the hill town in Uttarakhand without any further delay.
Things to do at Chopta Valley
- Trek to Deoria Tal.
- Bow down at the Tungnath Temple.
- Sightseeing of Gurdongmar Lake and Thangu Valley.
- Excursion to Chandrashila.
- Camping on the lush meadows.
- Enjoy bird watching for as long as you want.
How to reach Chopta Valley?
- By Air – Jolly Grant International Airport (176.3 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Rishikesh Railway Station (197.2 km)
- By Road – Ukhimath (40 km)
Kausani, Uttarakhand – window to the snow-covered peaks
A dreamland for writers and a happy place for backpackers, Kausani is both a village as well as a hill station. The scenic hill town in Uttarakhand steals the limelight for offering panoramic views of Nanda Devi, Trishul and the Panchachuli peaks. Especially, it looks truly magical when the sun colors the snow-laden peaks of Himalayas to golden in the morning. It looks even beautiful when the color changes to reddish-orange in the evening. The destination was bestowed with the title of ‘Switzerland of India’ by the Father of Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.
Things to do at Kausani
- Soak-in the beauty of the Alpine Hills.
- Enjoy the melodious chirping birds and the sweet lullaby of the gentle winds.
- Hike up to Rudrahari Cave temple.
- Partake in recreational activities like photography, birding or village walks.
- Visit Sumitra Nandan Pant.
- Go to Lakshmi Ashram and Ananshakti Ashram.
How to reach Kausani?
- By Air – Dehradun Airport (157 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Kathgodam (139.1 km)
- By Road – Kausani is connected to major cities of North India by road.
You can also check out Top 20 Most Beautiful Hill Stations near Delhi
Gulmarg, Kashmir – a popular skiing destination
Because of the gentle slopes, Gulmarg is one of the famous Skiing Destinations in India even in summers. Cradled between the Pir Panjal ranges, the hill town in Kashmir is the ‘heartland of winter sports in India’. Moreover, the picturesque beauty exhibits an aura so superb that the place has been featured in several movies. Keeping this mind, you can spark love in your newly married life by spending some passionate moments here. The perfect family getaway proffers a plethora of activities to keep you engaged. To sum up, Gulmarg is a perfect destination for snow lovers, tranquility seekers, adventure buffs and for almost everyone.
Things to do at Gulmarg
- Rejoice in the famous Gulmarg Gondola Ride.
- Partake in winter sports like tobogganing, skiing, heli-skiing and snowboarding.
- Seek blessings of Lord Shiva and his consort Maa Parvati at the Maharani Temple.
- Light a candle at St Mary’s Church.
- Play Golf at the highest green golf course in the world.
- Visit the famous Alpather Lake.
- Go to Nagin Valley.
- Admire the intricate carvings on the walls of Baba Reshi Shrine.
How to reach Gulmarg?
- By Air – Srinagar Airport (56 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Jammu (290 km)
- By Road – Srinagar (51.5 km)
Check out 10 unique and fun things to do in Kashmir to make your vacations memorable
Munsiyari, Uttarakhand – one of the magical places in the Himalayas for pefect summer vaccations in India
Also known as the ‘Little Kashmir’, Munsiyari is an attractive hamlet in the Uttarakhand. Blooming of rhododendrons during the summer season makes this town a perfect holiday destination. No doubts, nature lovers and bird watchers are treated alike. In fact, nature resides here in its purest form. Thus, the place is known for its exhaustive trails and unlimited adventure. Also, exotic species of flora and fauna ornate the hill station.
Things to do at Munsiyari
- Worship at the Nanda Devi Temple.
- Visit Tribal Heritage Museum.
- Climb up to Khaliya top.
- Bow down at Kalamuni Temple.
- Unravel the breathtaking views of the Panchachuli, a group of five peaks.
- Cherish trekking.
- Plan a day trip to the village Laspa.
How to reach Munsiyari?
- By Air – Pantnagar Airport (318 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Kathgodam (275 km)
- By Road – Pithoragarh (127.4 km)
Rishikesh, Uttarakhand – Yoga Capital of the world
The banks of River Ganga are bejeweled with a spiritual city Rishikesh. From adventure to serenity, the holy city houses everything. Titled as the ‘World Capital of Yoga’, the destination makes for an ideal escape from the crowd infested and polluted cities. Once here, you will be inspired to indulge in a life-changing experience with meditation and yoga. Moreover, serving as the ‘Gateway to the Himalayas’, the serene town is a famous pilgrimage and a favorite tourist spot. Another key point is that the renowned Beatles Ashram is also located here and grabs the attention almost instantly. When you think of a relaxing vacation in summer in India along with cherishing adventure and spiritual bliss, think of no further than Rishikesh.
Things to do at Rishikesh
- Visit popular ashrams like Swarg Ashram.
- Attend Ganga Aarti at Triveni Ghat.
- Test your river rafting skills.
- Take a holy dip in holy River Ganga.
- Go to Ram Jhula and Lakshman Jhula.
- Try your hands at rappelling, kayaking, camping and bungee-jumping.
- Bow down at Neelkanth Mahadev Temple.
How to reach Rishikesh?
- By Air – Jolly Grant Airport (35 km)
- Nearest Railway Station – Rishikesh (3.8 km)
- By Road – Haridwar (19.9 km)
So whenever you are in India, it is always advisable to spend some quiet time with your friends and families. These popular places in the Himalayas for summer vacations in India are ready to be your perfect host.
Planning a Summer Vacation in India? Check out the list of best summer holiday packages in India.
- 10 Best Kerala Ayurveda Resorts with luxury Spa for a pampering experience in 2020 - January 31, 2020
- Places to Visit in India by Month for the Most Cherished Experiences - April 4, 2019
- 25 Best Things to do in Rishikesh for Memorable Holidays - February 19, 2019