Make plans for Places in Himalayas for Your Summer Vacation in India
No one can resist the stunning beauty of mountains, the picture-perfect places in Indian Himalayas. There is tranquility, adventure, fun, snow and from almost anything to everything you can think of! With an ability to evoke the photographer, painter, lover and the daredevil in you, there are many places which can be considered for planning an extraordinary summer vacations. Let the fun begin!
Here are 12 of the most beautiful places in Himalayas where you can embark for a memorable summer vacation in India:
Nubra Valley, Ladakh
Nubra Valley is a tri-armed valley positioned on the north east of Ladakh. With a dash of prolific verdant and moonlike landscapes, the beauty of Nubra Valley cast a spell on the visitors making it one of the best places to visit in Ladakh. A blanket of yellow and pink roses wraps up the entire area during summer. Further, oodles of wild lavender present a visual retreat during autumn. Alternatively known as the ‘Food bowl of Ladakh’, Nubra remains remote during most of the year but becomes active during summer. The place is surely one of the best summer destinations in India.
Things to do at Nubra Valley
- Visit the famous Diskit Monastery
- Explore the sand dunes of the Hunder Village
- Take a dip in the hot springs of Panamik
- Enjoy trekking
- Ride a Bactrian camel (a camel with two humps)
How to reach Nubra Valley?
- By Air – Leh Kushok Bakula Rinpoche Airport (162 km)
- By Train – Udhampur (298 km)
- By Road – The roads to Nubra Valley are suitable for a self-drive. Since, there are no bus services, it is better to take your own car to reach here.
Get ready for a bone chilling experience even in summers! Shrouded by several mysteries and snow all around, Roopkund is picture-perfect popular glacial lake in Uttarakhand. Also named as Skeletons Lake or Mystery Lake, the place has lured historians, scientists, anthropologists and devotees since long. Roopkund is one of the most popular trekking destinations in India. All the ardent trekkers can be delighted with a right dose of adventure as the ascent is deliriously exhilarating as is camping in the unrivalled bliss.
Things to do at Roopkund
- Visit Bedni Bugyal and Ali Bugyal – the largest high altitude meadows in India
- Climb to Mount Trishul
- Reach Junargali
- Hike to Nanda Ghunti
- Attend the religious annual festival held Bedni Bugyal
- Witness the Nanda Devi Raj Jat, a celebration that takes place once in every twelve years
How to reach Roopkund?
- By Air – Jolly Grant Airport (252 km)
- By Train – Rishikesh (227 km)
- By Road – Lohajang Pass (42 km approx.)
Goecha La, Sikkim
The charm of the Goecha La is such that Indian government authorities being fascinated by its beauty decided to feature it on the hundred rupee notes. Acting as a base camp for those seeking to scale the mountain, the pass features striking views of the Kanchenjunga, world’s third highest mountain. A dream for adventure junkies, the pass ranks amongst the best places to visit in October in India. the perfect weather of October is the reason why it you must visitThe amazing view of sixteen beautiful peaks, snow covered Himalayas, meadows, meandering rivers, rhododendrons and tear shaped Goecha Lake – the pass has it all!
Things to do at Goecha La
- Trekking through the Kanchenjunga Pass
- Viewing the stunning sunset and sunrise views
How to reach Goecha La?
- By Air – Bagdogra Airport (155.2 km from Yuksom)
- By Train – New Jalpaiguri (150 km from Yuksom)
- By Road – Siliguri Pass (141 km Siliguri to Yuksom)
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Tucked away in the beautiful Kullu Valley, Manali act as the gateway to Spiti, Lahaul and Leh. The scenic hill station amuses with its thrilling snow-laden roads and blooming apple trees. A trip to the place is a complete package of entertainment which can be cherished for long. Unwind in the lap of nature or try your rafting skills at the Beat River. Manali is undoubtedly one of the best Himalayan destinations for adventures sports. Come summer, and Manali welcomes families, honeymoon couples, adventure lovers and solo bacakpackers.
Things to do at Manali
- Bow down at the Hidimba Devi Temple
- Visit Solang Valley
- Trek to Rohtang Pass
- Witness the Bhrigu Lake
- Explore tourists spots like Pandoh Dam, Manali Sanctuary, Beas River, Hampta Pass
- A daytrip to Great Himalayan National Park
- White Water Rafting
- Trekking to Chandrakhani Pass and Beas Kund
- Dip in the hot natural springs at Kalath, Manikaran or Vashisht village
- Click pictures with yaks or rabbits near the Hidimba Temple
- Rock Climbing
How to reach Manali?
- By Air – Bhuntar Airport (50 km)
- By Train – Ambala Cantt (200 km)
- By Road – Delhi (570 km)
Spiti Valley, Himachal Pradesh
Spiti means ‘The Middle Land’ and is a valley cradled between India and Tibet in the lap of Himalayas. The spellbinding beauty of Spiti can only be enjoyed in summer as it only accessible in the warm months. Awe-inspiring glaciers, less habitation, ancient monasteries, snow-covered peaks and much more – the dessert terrain features all. One must head to this peaceful holiday destination in the Indian Himalayas for utter tranquility. Take a break from the monotony of visiting the popular destinations only.
Things to do at Spiti Valley
- Visit Key Monastery
- Reach Tabo Monastery
- Complete your trip by exploring Pin Valley
- Go for mountain biking
- Get mesmerized at the Surajtal Lake and Chandratal Lake
- Attend festivals like Chaam dance, burning of the Devil and Pauri festival
- Boasts of reaching the Kunzum Pass – one of the highest motorable mountain passes of India
How to reach Spiti Valley?
- By Air – Bhuntar Airport (248.2 km)
- By Train – Shimla (444.0 km)
- By Road – Manali (196.9 km)
Planning your holidays in Himachal? Check out the list of things to do in Himachal Pradesh to make your vacations memorable!
Yumthang Valley, Sikkim
Yumthang translates to ‘Valley of Flowers’ but actually it is ‘Valley of Rhododendrons’ to be precise. The beautiful valley in Sikkim gets painted in innumerable hues of blue, purple, pink and red etc. because of blooming of rhododendrons. Hot springs, river, yaks and grazing cattle make Yumthang one of the best places to visit in Sikkim. Don’t be surprised to see the tree line ending here. Nature lovers can find immense pleasure here with a superb confluence of flora and fauna and natural beauty.
Things to do at Yumthang Valley
- Visit Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary for seeing various varieties of rhododendrons.
- Attend the annual International Rhododendron Festival held from March to May.
- Soak-in the beauty of remarkable views of the mountain peaks.
- Take a dip at the Yumthang Hot Spring consisting of medicinal and healing properties.
- Enjoying fishing at couple of rivers nearby like Puniya chu and Yumthang chu.
How to reach Yumthang Valley?
- By Air – Greenfield Airport Pakyong (148.2 km)
- By Train – Jalpaiguri (144.0 km)
- By Road – Lachung (24 km)
Do not miss out on these 8 adventurous things to do in Sikkim
Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh
Beautiful monasteries and picturesque sceneries make you fall in love with Tawang. The beautiful town is also famous as the birthplace of the sixth Dalai Lama. The nature’s bounty is undoubtedly beyond description. Usually pronounced as Dawang, the place is a must visit for spiritual enlightenment. Don’t forget to savor the delicious cuisines of the area. There are many attractions around Tawang which draws tourists from every nook and corner. This beautiful destinations remains shrouded with mist or snow and thus can enthrall anyone to the core.
Things to do at Tawang
- Visit Tawang Monastery
- Spend some time at the Tipi Orchid Sanctuary and beautiful orchid sanctuary
- Explore Sela Pass and Lake
- Soak-in the beauty of Bap Tang Kang
- Trek to Gorichen Peak
- Rejuvenate your soul at Madhuri Lake
- Pay a visit to the unique Jaswant Garh
How to reach Tawang?
- By Air – Salonibari Airport Tezpur (319 km)
- By Train – Naharlagun Railway Station
- By Road – Itanagar (440 km)
Chopta Valley, Uttarakhand
Chopta Valley provides a myriad of options to be explored. Blessed with scenic beauty and sheer tranquility, it is one of the best places in the Himalayas. Revel in summer family vacations away from the hustle and bustle of the city life. A paradise for trekkers and adventure lovers, Chopta caters to the needs of both amateur as well professional trekking enthusiasts. Wildlife and nature lovers can also plan a trip to the hill town in Uttarakhand without any further delay.
Things to do at Chopta Valley
- Trek to Deoria Tal
- Bow down at the Tungnath Temple
- Sightseeing at the Gurdongmar Lake and Thangu Valley
- Reach Chandrashila
- Camping on the lush Meadows
- Bird watching
How to reach Chopta Valley?
- By Air – Jolly Grant International Airport (176.3 km)
- By Train – Rishikesh Railway Station (197.2 km)
- By Road – Ukhimath (40 km)
A dreamland for writers and a happy place for backpackers, Kausani is both a village and a hill station. The scenic hill town in Uttarakhand steals the limelight for offering panoramic view of the peaks like Nanda Devi, Trishul and the Panchachuli peaks. The charm of the sun coloring the snow-laden peaks of Himalayas to golden in the morning and reddish-orange in the evening is simply irresistible. The destination was bestowed with the title of ‘Switzerland of India’ by the Father of Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.
Things to do at Kausani
- Soak-in the beauty of the Alpine Hills
- Enjoy the melodious chirping birds and the sweet lullaby of the gentle winds
- Hiking to Rudrahari Cave temple
- Spend some time in recreational activities like photography, birding or village walks
- Visit Sumitra Nandan Pant
- Go to Lakshmi Ashram and Ananshakti Ashram
How to reach Kausani?
- By Air – Dehradun Airport (157 km)
- By Train – Kathgodam (139.1 km)
- By Road – Kausani is connected to major cities of North India by road.
You can also check out Top 20 Most Beautiful Hill Stations near Delhi
The gentle slopes of Gulmarg is known as one of the famous Skiing Destinations in India even in summers. Cradled in the Pir Panjal range, the hill town of Kashmir is the ‘heartland of winter sports in India’. The picturesque beauty exhibits an aura so superb that it has featured into several films. Spark the love in your newly married life by spending some passionate moments here. The perfect family getaway proffers plethora of activities to keep you engaged. Gulmarg is a perfect destination for snow lovers, tranquility seekers, adventure buffs and for almost everyone.
Things to do at Gulmarg
- Ride the famous Gulmarg Gondola Ride
- Partake in winter sports like tobogganing, skiing, heli-skiing and snowboarding
- Seek blessings of Lord Shiva and his consort Ma Parvati at the Maharani Temple
- Light a candle at St Mary’s Church
- Play Golf at the highest green golf course in the world
- Visit the famous Alpather Lake
- Go to Nagin Valley
- Admire the intricate carvings on the walls of Baba Reshi Shrine
How to reach Gulmarg?
- By Air – Srinagar Airport (56 km)
- By Train – Jammu (290 km)
- By Road – Srinagar (51.5 km)
Check out 10 unique and fun things to do in Kashmir to make your vacations memorable
Also known as the ‘Little Kashmir’, Munsiyari is an attractive hamlet in the Uttarakhand. Blooming of rhododendrons during the summer season makes this town a perfect holiday destination for nature lovers and bird watchers. A home to nature in its purest form, the place is known for its exhaustive trails and unlimited adventure. A rich species of flora and fauna ornate the hill station.
Things to do at Munsiyari
- Worship at the Nanda Devi Temple
- Visit Tribal Heritage Museum
- Climb up to Khaliya top
- Bow down at Kalamuni Temple
- Unravel the breathtaking views of the Panchachuli, a group of five peaks
- A daytrip to village Laspa
How to reach Munsiyari?
- By Air – Pantnagar Airport (318 km)
- By Train – Kathgodam (275 km)
- By Road – Pithoragarh (127.4 km)
The banks of River Ganga are bejeweled with a spiritual city Rishikesh. From adventure to serenity, the holy city houses everything. Titled as the ‘World Capital of Yoga’, the destination makes for an ideal escape from the crowd infested and polluted cities. Once here, you will indulge into a life changing experience of mediation and yoga. The ‘Gateway to Himalayas’ is a famous pilgrimage and a favorite tourist spot. Renowned Beatles Ashram is also located here and grabs the attention almost instantly. When you think of a relaxing vacation in summer in India with adventure and spiritual bliss, think of no further than Rishikesh.
Things to do at Rishikesh
- Visit popular ashrams like Swarg Ashram
- Attend Ganga Aarti at Triveni Ghat
- Test your river rafting skills
- Take a holy dip in holy River Ganga
- Go to Ram Jhula and Lakshman Jhula
- Try your hands at rappelling, kayaking, camping and bungee-jumping
- Bow down at Neelkanth Mahadev
How to reach Rishikesh?
- By Air – Jolly Grant Airport (35 km)
- By Train – Rishikesh (3.8 km)
- By Road – Haridwar (19.9 km)
So whenever you are in India, it is always advisable to spend some quiet time with your friends and families at these wonderful destinations in Himalayas.
Planning a Summer Vacation in India? Check out the list of best summer holiday packages in India.