Best Hill Stations in India for Summer Holidays
When summer hit the various parts of the country! One question raised in every mind that where to go this summer? Which are the best hill stations in India for summer holidays with family etc? So here is our shot; to prepare a list for you that include some of the best hill stations of India that can be visited from every corner of the country.
The list of 9 best hill stations in India that are most popular among the families & adventure lovers!
Srinagar (Jammu & Kashmir)
Srinagar gets the top spot in the list of best hill stations for summer vacations in India. This beautiful hill station of North India is the summer capital of Jammu & Kashmir state. For the tourists there are lakes, gardens, bazaars, cool climate, accommodations to suit all budgets and delicious foods that makes it one of the most popular summer destinations in India. If you are looking for a hill station that can beat the heat; try Srinagar and if you want some more fun and adventure activities, try the nearby places from Srinagar that include Gulmarg, Pahalgam, and Sonamarg etc.
These hill stations of Kashmir are very popular among families and is often included in Kashmir tour itineraries. So pack your bags and fly to Kashmir to seek escape from the summer amidst the lush valleys and towering Himalayas.
Shimla (Himachal Pradesh)
One of the most familiar hill stations of North India, Shimla is as favorite with children as it is with senior citizens. Shimla with its vast repertoire of tourist attractions and activities that range from religious sites to historical site, and colonial charm to snow laden mountains attracts all kinds of visitors throughout the year. For example there is Christ church which is second oldest church of north India, World highest statue of Lord Hanuman in Jakhu temple, Mall road is the star attraction of Shimla hill station where every traveler want to go because there is countless option to enjoy shopping and delicious food.
But if this is not enough if you are visiting Shimla this summer, there are some cool tourist destinations near Shimla where you could head to make your trip juicier and adventurous. There is Kufri where you can see snow round the year, Naldhera that is first love for golfing lovers and Chail renowned for its wildlife and palace which are the most popular excursions near Shimla.
Fast Facts about Shimla
- Elevation: 2,205 m (7,234 ft)
- Avg. summer temperature: 18 °C (64 °F)
- Avg. winter temperature: 5 °C (41 °F)
- Telecommunications – Worldwide links by the net, telephones and fax. Code 0177.
- Food available – South Indian, Mughlai, Tibetan, Chinese, Continental.
[Checkout Shimla Packages for Summer Vacation]
Ladakh: The Little Tibet
- Elevation: 3,500 m (11,500 ft)
- Best Season : March to October
- Avg. Summer Temperature: 8°C – 25°C
- Avg. Winter Temperature: -5°C to -20°C
- Best time to visit: June – September
- Food Available: Tibetan, Chinese, North Indian
Any “Best of India” montage would be incomplete without featuring Leh-Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir. Not just the land of passes and gompas, Ladakh is especially a must visit destination for road trips. Attracting everyone from bikers to seasoned mountaineers, a trip to Ladakh, one of the most offbeat destinations in North India, calls for a great deal of planning.
Ladakh’s landscape is highly contrasting and is depicted in colors that only nature can. Culture is a far cry from rest of India and Buddhism is the most practised faith. There are multiple access routes to Ladakh, road trips being the most popular.
[Also check out most interesting things to do in Leh Ladakh]
Ladakh is not your average hill station and High Altitude Acclimatization may be a problem for some. For a rather elaborate account of Ladakh, its attractions, accommodation options etc., read our Ladakh Tour Guide. For even further research, we recommend this Leh Ladakh dossier and these tips on preparation for a Ladakh tour.
[Browse through 42 Ladakh holiday packages]
Best Hill Stations in West India for Summer Holidays
Mahabaleshwar: The Jewel of Sahyadri
- State: Maharashtra
- Altitude: 1372 mt above sea level
- Languages: Hindi, Marathi, English
- STD Code: 02168
- Best time to visit: All year
- Nearest Metropolitan: Mumbai (285 km)
- Nearest Airport: Pune (120 km)
- Popular Attractions: Arthur’s Seat, Kate’s Point, Venna Lake, Elephant Point, Pratapgarh Fort, Mount Malcolm
Mahabaleshwar is a rustic little city in the Western Ghats in the state of Maharashtra. One of the top hill stations in India, Mahabaleshwar is also a popular honeymoon spot and an important religious destination. The Venna Lake is central to the city and hotels of all budget types are available to rent. Mahabaleshwar is especially known for its spicy cuisine and hot curries. Mahabaleshwar is easily accessible through a well connected network of roads from Mumbai, Pune and other major cities in Maharashtra.
[Explore special tour packages for Mahabaleshwar ]
Saputara: Crown of Gujarat
- Elevation: 1000 m
- State: Gujarat
- District: Dang
- Avg. Summer Temperature: 25°C – 38°C
- Avg. Winter Temperature: 8°C – 25°C
- Best Season: Mar – Oct
- STD Code: 02631
- Nearest Airport: Surat (176 km)
- Popular Attractions: Vansada National Park, Purna Sanctuary, Artist Village, Gira Falls
Translated as “Abode of Serpents”, Saputara is a charming hill station tucked neatly in the Sahayadri hill ranges in Southern Gujarat, somewhere in the middle of Dang Forest Area. The town has only recently caught the public eye as a weekend getaway from Surat, Nashik etc. Saputara is particularly renowned for its adventure activities such as paragliding, boating, horse riding and rock climbing. The biggest attraction here is the Saputara Lake which is a tourist magnet due to the umpteen picnic spots it provides.
Hill Stations in South India for Summer Vacations
Ooty or Udagamandalam: A Pastoral Retreat
- Elevation: 2,240 m (7,350 ft)
- Avg. Summer Temperature: 25.0ºC-10.0ºC
- Avg. Winter Temperature: 21.0ºC-0ºC
- Annual Rainfall: 1210 mm
- Languages spoken: Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, Badaga and English
- Nearest Airport: Coimbatore (96 km)
- Popular Attractions: Ooty Lake, Lalith Kala Academy, Deer Park, Botanical Garden
Udagamandalam, formerly and lovingly known as Ooty, needs no introduction and is right up on the list of the best hill stations in India. Nestled deep in the Nilgiri Hills in Tamil Nadu, Ooty’s subtropical highland climate is a favorite with tourists from India and outside and the town is one of the most visited hilly retreats in south India.
One of the popular destinations for family vacations in India, Ooty is renowned for its emerald lake, pastoral setting, and plenty of things to do apart from the sightseeing activities.
[Browse through 23 tour packages near Ooty]
Coorg: Spices and tea
- Climate Tropical Wet (Köppen)
- Precipitation: 2,725.5 millimetres (107.30 in)
- Avg. summer temperature: 28.6 °C (83.5 °F)
- Avg. winter temperature: 14.2 °C (57.6 °F)
- Nearest Airport: Mangalore (180 Kms)
- Popular Attractions: Nagarhole National Park, Abbey Falls, Omkareshwar Temple, Madikeri Fort
Coorg is a little hill town in Karnataka that is often referred to as the “Scotland of the South”. The place is a wanderer’s haven and buzzes with couples and newlyweds on their romantic holidays in India. A rich, thick forest cover adorns its mountains and cool, temperate climate provides the right refuge from the blistering heat in the plains. Coorg abounds in sunrise and sunset points, strategically located all over the town.
[Browse through our 5 Coorg Tour Packages]
Hill Stations in North East India
Darjeeling: A Himalayan Retreat
- State: West Bengal
- Elevation: 2,050 m (6,730 ft)
- Best months to visit : March to mid-June and September to mid-December
- Languages: Bengali, Nepali, Hindi, and English
- Cuisine: Tibetan, Chinese, Bengali
- Nearest Airport: Bagdodra (95 km)
- Popular Attractions: Chowrasta Mall, Tiger Hill, Observatory Hill, Batasia Loop, War Memorial, Peace Pagoda
The colonial city of Darjeeling was a summer favorite of the officers from the East India Company and not without a reason. The city is a smorgasbord of cultures and a geographic potpourri with diversity being its forte. If one would say Darjeeling has still preserved its Tibetan roots intact, other may argue about its obvious colonial hangover.
The wonderful little Himalayan Express, lovingly known as the Toy Train and inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site is a wonderful addition to the already huge list of attractions in Darjeeling. The expansive tea plantations and the mystical bazaars only further add to its charms making darjeeling one of the popular places to go for honeymoon in India.
[Browse through our 31 holiday packages in Darjeeling]
Kalimpong: Pristine Haven
- Elevation: 1,247 m (4,091 ft)
- Languages: Bengali, Nepali, Hindi, English
- Best Season: Mar – Jun, Sep – Dec
- Weather: Summer 17 to 30°C, winter 3 to 15°C
- Popular Attractions: Losar Festival, Flower Nurseries, Dr Graham’s Home, Gompas
Kalimpong in West Bengal provides for an all-round holiday experience. Once the headquarters of the Bhutanese governor; Kalimpong, today, is a laid back town and a popular destination in North East India that has preserved its Buddhist cultural overtones amidst a sea of natural beauty. Once you are here, there are plenty of activities to partake in such as hikes, nature walks, river rafting and angling. Better still, Kalimpong’s proximity to other popular tourist destinations like Sikkim and Darjeeling further strengthen its viability as a summer retreat.
Last Updated: 11-07-2016