Last Updated on by Tusharika
Are you looking for hill stations in North India that can feed your travel craving and satiate your wanderlust soul? Fret not, we have your back. We have curated a list of popular hill towns where you can soak up in the sun, stare at the scenic landscapes, rejuvenate next to a soothing lake, or laze around the verdant meadows.
Here is the list of popular tourist hill stations in North India where you can have unforgettable vacations with your family and friends.
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
Shimla is a perfect amalgamation of rich colonial history and modernity. The erstwhile summer capital of British India, Shimla is snuggled in the foothills of the Himalayas at an altitude of 2,200 m above sea level. Owing to its unique charm it is regarded as one of the popular hill stations in North India. It is a paradise for nature lovers and a perfect getaway from the scorching heat in the summers.
- Best Time to Visit: November to February
- How to Reach: Shimla railway station is the nearest railhead. Chandigarh railway station is the nearest major railway station. Jubbarhatti Airport is the nearest airport from Shimla (25 km).
- Things to do: Toy train ride, river rafting at Tattapani, golfing at Naldehra, skiing in Kufri, bird watching at Himalayan Aviary, rock climbing, zip-lining, trekking, rappelling
- Places to Visit: Mall Road, The Ridge, Kufri, Scandal Point, Jakhoo Temple, Christ Church, Kufri, Naldehra, Chail, Green Valley, Mashobra
Nestled in the lap of the Shivalik range of Himalayas, Mussoorie perched at an altitude of 2,005 m above the sea level. It is among the many majestic hill stations in North India where you can also indulge in several adventure activities. Popularly known as ‘Queen of Hill Stations’, Mussoorie is famous among honeymooners and families.
- Best Time to Visit: April to June
- How to Reach: Dehradun railway station is the nearest railhead (34 km). Dehradun Airport is the nearest major airport (60 km).
- Things to do: Trekking, hiking, paragliding, zip-lining, skywalk, zip-swings, rock climbing, caving, rappelling, mountain biking, ATV riding, river rafting, shopping
- Places to Visit: Kempty Falls, Lal Tibba, Gun Hill Point, Lake Mist, Cloud’s End, Mall Road, Landour, Mussoorie Lake, Bhatta Falls
Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Blessed with the jaw-dropping locales, lush greenery, verdant meadows, and meandering rivers, Manali is nestled amidst snow-clad Pir Panjal and Dhauladhar ranges. With the backdrop of snow-capped Himalayas, Manali is among the best hill stations in North India. It is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure fanatics.
- Best Time to Visit: October to February
- How to Reach: Chandigarh railway station is the nearest major railhead (314 km). Bhuntar Airport, Kullu is the nearest major airport (50 km).
- Things to do: Trekking, zorbing, paragliding, rock climbing, rappelling, horse riding, cable car, river rafting, shopping, skiing, camping
- Places to Visit: Mall Road, Vashisht Temple, Jogini Waterfalls, Old Manali, Hadimba Temple, Solang Valley, Rohtang Pass, Kullu, Naggar Castle, Manikaran Sahib
Gulmarg, Jammu & Kashmir
Surrounded by snow-covered mountains and located in the Pir Panjal range, Gulmarg is nestled at an altitude of 2,730 m above sea level. It is a popular skiing destination and among the top honeymoon destinations in India. Dotted with deep ravines, lush forested valleys, and meadows of flowers, Gulmarg has been developed as an adventure hub. You can enjoy the world’s second-highest Gondola ride. Also indulge in snowboarding, trekking, and mountaineering.
- Best Time to Visit: March to June
- How to Reach: Jammu railway station is the nearest major railhead (271 km). Srinagar Airport is the nearest major airport (50 km).
- Things to do: Skiing, Gondola Ride, trekking, hiking, ice skating, snowboarding
- Places to Visit: Alpather Lake, Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve, Golf Course, Strawberry Valley, Khilanmarg, Maharani Temple
Tucked away in the foothills of the Himalayas, Dhanaulti is an offbeat tourist destination. Perched at an elevation of 2,250 m above sea level, this quaint little hill town offers breathtaking views of the snow-clad peaks. Dhanaulti boasts about dense forests, gurgling streams, and verdant meadows, which makes it among the most amazing hill stations in North India. The paradisiacal beauty of this hill station leaves everyone mesmerized.
- Best Time to Visit: September to June
- How to Reach: Dehradun railway station is the nearest major railhead (25 km). Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun is the nearest major airport (82 km).
- Things to do: Skywalk, sky bridging, zip swing, zip-lining, trekking, rock climbing, rappelling, camping, quad biking, paragliding, mountain biking
- Places to Visit: Dhanaulti Adventure Park, Eco Park, Tehri Dam, Deogarh Fort, Dashavatar Temple, Surkanda Devi Temple
Certainly, these popular hill stations of North India arouse your inner traveler and force you to pack your bag. Indulge in a plethora of adventure activities and rejuvenate amidst the serene nature. Delight in the enchanting beauty along with enjoying the soothing climate of these amazing hill stations.
Make sure you will share your experience with us after the trip!